Task Manager or force close an app

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm sick to death of Windows Phone being a dum-dum OS and acting like every person that uses it is a dum-dum that needs their hand held through all the underlying OS functionality. In fact, it's gotten so bad that I've abandoned Windows Phone as my primary phone OS and recently placed an order for a new Android phone as my upgrade (from my Lumia 521).

Windows *needs* power user functionality, and Microsoft has gone the route of completely abandoning power users in WP8. No task manager, no services management, no device-driver management... not even as much as performance monitoring. Absolutely no way to view, manage, or resolve problems with the guts of the OS. I find myself having to pull the battery out of my phone almost every other day, because it's the only way to resolve a locked-up WiFi or Bluetooth driver (greyed-out on/off switch in Settings - or the Settings page not loading at all). WP8 has so many stability problems, it absolutely needs a task manager for those of us with underpowered phones that understand the causes of these failures (or would like a better understanding of them than just "Loading..."/"Resuming..." and crashing back to the home screen).

A common problem that plagues me every day is that I use HERE Drive to navigate to my on-site jobs. When I tap a location from the Calendar (if it even highlights it and allows me to tap it - I still have no clue why there's this discrepancy in what addresses are tappable), it takes me to Maps, but I need to be in Drive. So I tap the marker, and hit the "Directions", then "HERE Drive" link. Now, here's the point: if the next page says "Resuming...", I can guarantee that Drive will not "receive" the instructions that Maps is trying to pass to it - Drive will act like I just called up the app and doesn't know what I want to do. If it instead gives me the "HERE Drive" splash screen, I know the app will receive my request and start navigation. When it doesn't, I have to back out and make the request again - now with the app still active in the background. But if it does its annoying "Resuming" thing, it'll have ADD and forget my request.

That's why we need a task manager and advanced system utilities. Some of us know better than the OS does. The OS is written by human beings just like us - and not every possible usage case is accounted for. There need to be tools in the OS to allow us to make better decisions - like restarting a malfunctioning device driver when the OS never realizes that the driver has crashed. Tools to let me *exit* applications instead of merely backgrounding them, so they don't get "resumed" and left in a half-baked state of partial initialization. But this power-user-hostile operating system is going to lose a following of users that would otherwise be its advocates, as long as it keeps acting like the only people that use it are morons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254