Tempered Glass Screen Protector

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Just received an Ace, tempered glass screen protector that I got on Amazon.

It would not stick on three of the four edges all the way across the top and down one side. It was a very thick tempered glass. Made the phone very ugly so I tossed it right away.

Remember have the same problem for the 950 XL until we finally found the right one.

Anyone have any luck with any other glass protectors?

Do you think we even need one for this phone?

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You got me. I have and would recommend the original HP anti shatter screen protector W8W94AA. There are several items of notice:
- it is one of those hybrid glass protectors, flexible but glass, therefore no problems with sticking
- it reaches from the lower edge of the display to the lower edge of the front camera, seems short. But that is fine
- it is perfect to the touch, ikr of the best materials I know - and I know *many*.

Now, if you are a normal person, buy it and put it on.
If you are as OCD as I ☺ am, you first mark the edge black with a black Edding marker all around. Then you put it on. If you are more like me, the sharp edge turns you off and you put tape all around the protector, use a glass nail file to chip off the edge and mark it black all around once again.

The result is pretty much perfect. The device is protected, the touch is great,the edge feels good and it is hardly visible.

Now, how do I attach pics here?

Last edited:

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
You got me. I have and would recommend the original HP anti shatter screen protector W8W94AA. There are several items of notice:
- it is one of those hybrid glass protectors, flexible but glass, therefore no problems with sticking
- it reaches from the lower edge of the display to the lower edge of the front camera, seems short. But that is fine
- it is perfect to the touch, ikr of the best materials I know - and I know *many*.

Now, if you are a normal person, buy it and put it on.
If you are as OCD as I ☺ am, you first mark the edge black with a black Edding marker all around. Then you put it on. If you are more like me, the sharp edge turns you off and you put tape all around the protector, use a glass nail file to chip off the edge and mark it black all around once again.

The result is pretty much perfect. The device is protected, the touch is great,the edge feels good and it is hardly visible.

Now, how do I attach pics here?

Would love to see the pictures.

Where did you get that protector and how much was it by chance.?

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Attachments

• X3_W8W94AA_1.jpg
    X3_W8W94AA_1.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 2
  • X3_W8W94AA_2.jpg
    X3_W8W94AA_2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2
  • X3_W8W94AA_3.jpg
    X3_W8W94AA_3.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
@corwin>> haha taking pics with the old 950xl of the new phone X3.. 950xl has been demoted to camera duties lol

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought mine L950 tempered glass screen protector from aliexpress if i remember right. It fitted perfectly and has been on about 4-5 months and no signs of wear or other problems. Only problem is fingerprints... :)

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, for me the link opens the Microsoft store and says "we didn't find what you were looking for".

EDIT: Worked now on the big screen. This is exactly what I am talking about above and what I made the pictures of. It is glass, but flexible and thin (maybe 0,15-0,20mm instead of the 0,3-0,4mm).

I DO recommend it, as it will distribute impact forces considerably. Yes, it can still break, of course, but the odds shift to your favor. And it is original gear from the vendor.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd stay away from any kind of "tempered glass". First, this adds a considerable amount of material on top of the screen, which I'm sure the screen isn't designed for. Second, the tempered glass will just be sacrificial and will eventually have to be replaced. The chances are the screen of the phone is even tougher than the tempered glass itself.

I'd recommend checking out non-tempered glass or adhesive types of protectors, especially those that use liquid-solid chemistry to actually form a hard surface coating on the screen - such as those from Kristall.

If one can't absolutely do away with adhesive protectors, I'd recommend the RhinoShield screen protector - not a tempered glass, but does impressively well in dispersing impact forces that may otherwise damage the real screen.

P.S.
I'm not sponsoring any of these brands, but these are some of those I tried which are actually more effective than a piece of sticky glass attached to a screen.

Corwin_Amber

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend checking out non-tempered glass or adhesive types of protectors, especially those that use liquid-solid chemistry to actually form a hard surface coating on the screen - such as those from Kristall.

I am with you regarding the coatings - but did you ever find one, that actually works and maybe has proof? I am having a box of hundreds of euros worth of glas, plastic, coatings. Hundreds. I always found, that the coatings do not work even a little bit. Maybe I am wrong.

Regarding this screen protector from HP I mentioned, it is glass, but some hybrid, flexible form. It IS hard and, most important to me, as I am really weird with that, feels great to the touch and is very oleophobic. As I said, even better than the Gorilla Glass 4. This specific one. I know several others (Brotec, atFolix), which are also this hybrid glas and good (not the Brotec one, that sticks like hell), but not as good as the HP one.

And I also agree with you, that using the display without any glas / plastic sticker is usually best. That is why I am asking for the coating ;)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am with you regarding the coatings - but did you ever find one, that actually works and maybe has proof?

That is why I am asking for the coating ;)

Among those I've tried, Kristall is the only one which I recall probably because it did increase the resistance to scratches of the screen of one of my previous phones, and it also somehow increased the contrast of the display (probably because it was more oleophobic, so technically it was just preventing oil from messing around with the apparent contrast of the screen, not the actual output contrast). However, I've sent a complaint to them at least twice since I've received two packs from them that were already dried up and unusable even before opening the pack. Expiration or best before date, or the date of manufacture, is an important consideration in purchasing these off the shelf.

They also have products for windshields and other glass surfaces, and have interesting product test videos (both by them and by independent individuals) with good results.

I'd recommend checking them out and see if you'll be convinced. One pack was relatively affordable so it was easy to try and test.

On the other hand, you may also consider checking the RhinoShield film screen protector and compare that with the HP screen protector. The RS film may not be as thick and obstructive as tempered glass.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I am probably going to purchase the HP Elite x3, but I am not sure what to do about the screen protector. I had a Skinomi for my Lumia 900 and it stuck like glue over time and could not be removed. Eventually it shattered and I could not remove all of the glass-like pieces. I have had good success with ArmorShield on my 1020 as it could easily be removed and reapplied, but they don't make one for the HP. Does anyone have long term knowledge of whether the HP-branded screen protector can be easily removed after a long period of time, and does it harm the screen? Given that the screen is Gorilla Glass 4, is it ok to not use a screen protector? The only issue is I use alcohol wash on my hands and I worry that the alcohol will ruin the glass.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I am probably going to purchase the HP Elite x3, but I am not sure what to do about the screen protector. I had a Skinomi for my Lumia 900 and it stuck like glue over time and could not be removed. Eventually it shattered and I could not remove all of the glass-like pieces. I have had good success with ArmorShield on my 1020 as it could easily be removed and reapplied, but they don't make one for the HP. Does anyone have long term knowledge of whether the HP-branded screen protector can be easily removed after a long period of time, and does it harm the screen? Given that the screen is Gorilla Glass 4, is it ok to not use a screen protector? The only issue is I use alcohol wash on my hands and I worry that the alcohol will ruin the glass.

I have the Skinomi and it seems to work great. Hope I don't have your problem from your 1020. Has that been reported my anyone else ?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

You can also do the HP tempered glass from the MS Store.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1