Thank You everone! Your voices have been heard!!!

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
It's great to hear that our comments and enthusiasm for Cortana here are being actively considered.

One of the things I really hope makes the "Coming Soon" list is more back and forth conversations, and unprompted interactions with Cortana. I think this is a fairly universal wish, based on various threads in this forum. For instance, just using the functionality that she already has for text messages, you could do the following:

Cortana unprompted interactions (in a non-intrusive way):

If your notifications aren't silenced, on vibrate, or in quiet hours...

Cortana: "Hey, [name]? / Excuse me, [name] / etc."

• Cortana listens for "Yes?" "Yeah?" "What's up, Cortana?" etc.
(If she doesn't hear an affirmative response, conversation stops. This is the polite, "Are you available?" check to avoid bugging you when you're busy... similar to how a real assistant would check.)​

Cortana: "You know that thing you asked me to remind you about earlier? Don't forget to call your wife about XYZ tonight."
or "You'd asked me to track ABC subject for you. I found something interesting about it. Do you want to hear about it?"

• Cortana again goes into listening mode, looking for things like, "Yeah, read it" or the other similar prompts we get with text messages now.
  • If "Yes." Cortana reads subject of news item, update on plane flight, etc.
  • If "No." Cortana says "OK, it will be on my list for you when you check later."
  • If "Right, call my wife please." Cortana starts the call, or performs other app functions depending on the context of the reminder.

I think that would really impress the jaded iOS and Android crowds voice assistant crowds, and do more to make her feel like a real assistant. You can use the same functionality we already have for text messages, just include a very short, polite "Are you available?" prompt in front of other reminders and things she's tracking for you (and allow the feature to be turned off, or limited to only prompting every X number of hours for news/subject updates).

Again, great to hear that you're listening.

Cheers,

--Vel

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Although that's a GOLD idea but that's not that easy to implement considering the constraints a mobile will present, biggest being the battery. Sure you may tuirn it on/off but MS won't devcelop it unless they see a gain from it which IMHO is unlikely. Sorry for the chitchat Talderon!

It's great to hear that our comments and enthusiasm for Cortana here are being actively considered.

One of the things I really hope makes the "Coming Soon" list is more back and forth conversations, and unprompted interactions with Cortana. I think this is a fairly universal wish, based on various threads in this forum. For instance, just using the functionality that she already has for text messages, you could do the following:

Cortana unprompted interactions (in a non-intrusive way):

If your notifications aren't silenced, on vibrate, or in quiet hours...

Cortana: "Hey, [name]? / Excuse me, [name] / etc."

• Cortana listens for "Yes?" "Yeah?" "What's up, Cortana?" etc.
(If she doesn't hear an affirmative response, conversation stops. This is the polite, "Are you available?" check to avoid bugging you when you're busy... similar to how a real assistant would check.)​

Cortana: "You know that thing you asked me to remind you about earlier? Don't forget to call your wife about XYZ tonight."
or "You'd asked me to track ABC subject for you. I found something interesting about it. Do you want to hear about it?"

• Cortana again goes into listening mode, looking for things like, "Yeah, read it" or the other similar prompts we get with text messages now.
  • If "Yes." Cortana reads subject of news item, update on plane flight, etc.
  • If "No." Cortana says "OK, it will be on my list for you when you check later."
  • If "Right, call my wife please." Cortana starts the call, or performs other app functions depending on the context of the reminder.

I think that would really impress the jaded iOS and Android crowds voice assistant crowds, and do more to make her feel like a real assistant. You can use the same functionality we already have for text messages, just include a very short, polite "Are you available?" prompt in front of other reminders and things she's tracking for you (and allow the feature to be turned off, or limited to only prompting every X number of hours for news/subject updates).

Again, great to hear that you're listening.

Cheers,

--Vel

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm that Cortana will not breakthrough with notifications when Driving Mode is turned on? I setup a location based reminder that is much closer to my home than work and that I pass twice every day (on the way to and from work) and I did not see the notification until I got to work and got out my car this morning.

Sounds like you just tested and confirmed it yourself. Why not repeat the process. You can easily verify it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckMcScrooge