Thank you Microsoft

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
In some ways MS's timing with stopping the Groove music pass couldn't have been better for me as it has allowed me to rediscover how much I like music and appreciate Hi-Fi.

All my Hi-Fi gear was left in a house I owned on a small island, my Quad 33 and 405 pre and power amps, a very good Aiwa amp, a pair of Tannoy Cheviot speakers and a couple of other pairs of speakers of decent quality, along with all my CD's.

I left 8 years ago on a motorcycle with an MP3 player in my pocket with about 100 ripped albums at a fairly low level to save space.

After a while I got back into PC's and WP so found Xbox Music and took a music pass, it then became Groove and I ended up with almost limitless streaming and 600 downloaded albums.

As we know MS dropped the music pass and luckily the same week I sold my house so two weeks ago went up to the house and cleared out our personal possessions including all my Hi-Fi and CD's.

I had purchased a 100w Pioneer receiver and a couple of pairs of speakers since moving, but my only source was the Groove music pass using my Xbox One, or small speakers on my PC or headphones on my phone.

I didn't realise how much I had conned myself into thinking the sound was acceptable.

I have since bought a used TEAC CD player and may we go out and buy a new Marantz CD player tomorrow, this will go with the Tannoy's and the Quad as my main sound system, the TEAC with the Pioneer and Eltax speakers hooked up with my 65inch 4k TV for playing far superior sound quality CD's when I don't need the big stuff.

I will re-rip my CD collection at a much higher quality and put the files on OneDrive and carry on using Groove, sorry Spotify without even a UWP app there is no way I am paying for crap sound again.

In our house we had 3 Groove music pass accounts, so an outgoing of nearly £270 per year. Spotify is even more expensive and the only way you can have a family account is if you have the same address, move house and lose your account.

On the way home from work one day this week, I popped into a used CD shop and browsed for half hour and bought 4 more CD's by, Bjork, Springsteen, John Mayalls Blues breakers with Peter Green and the Strawbs, I already had all of these on my MP, but they sound so much better on CD and decent Hi-Fi.

So thank you MS for giving me that little push (Along with the luck of getting my Hi-Fi back) to stop mucking about with crap sounding and expensive streaming services and reminding how music should sound.

I look forward to spending time in CD shops again and can afford to buy several used CD's a week with the money I save on the music passes.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And then you add a quality turntable to your gear and REALLY discover how good your music can sound..... :)

Sent from mTalk

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been down both roads, probable had more turntables (Of very good quality) than most, I know some folk believe in them, but not me I am afraid, I spent so much money on trying to get rid of "Turntable sounds" before the CD was invented.

I am happy with my CD's and transistors, but thanks for the ideas.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
In some ways MS's timing with stopping the Groove music pass couldn't have been better for me as it has allowed me to rediscover how much I like music and appreciate Hi-Fi.

All my Hi-Fi gear was left in a house I owned on a small island, my Quad 33 and 405 pre and power amps, a very good Aiwa amp, a pair of Tannoy Cheviot speakers and a couple of other pairs of speakers of decent quality, along with all my CD's.

I left 8 years ago on a motorcycle with an MP3 player in my pocket with about 100 ripped albums at a fairly low level to save space.

After a while I got back into PC's and WP so found Xbox Music and took a music pass, it then became Groove and I ended up with almost limitless streaming and 600 downloaded albums.

As we know MS dropped the music pass and luckily the same week I sold my house so two weeks ago went up to the house and cleared out our personal possessions including all my Hi-Fi and CD's.

I had purchased a 100w Pioneer receiver and a couple of pairs of speakers since moving, but my only source was the Groove music pass using my Xbox One, or small speakers on my PC or headphones on my phone.

I didn't realise how much I had conned myself into thinking the sound was acceptable.

I have since bought a used TEAC CD player and may we go out and buy a new Marantz CD player tomorrow, this will go with the Tannoy's and the Quad as my main sound system, the TEAC with the Pioneer and Eltax speakers hooked up with my 65inch 4k TV for playing far superior sound quality CD's when I don't need the big stuff.

I will re-rip my CD collection at a much higher quality and put the files on OneDrive and carry on using Groove, sorry Spotify without even a UWP app there is no way I am paying for crap sound again.

In our house we had 3 Groove music pass accounts, so an outgoing of nearly £270 per year. Spotify is even more expensive and the only way you can have a family account is if you have the same address, move house and lose your account.

On the way home from work one day this week, I popped into a used CD shop and browsed for half hour and bought 4 more CD's by, Bjork, Springsteen, John Mayalls Blues breakers with Peter Green and the Strawbs, I already had all of these on my MP, but they sound so much better on CD and decent Hi-Fi.

So thank you MS for giving me that little push (Along with the luck of getting my Hi-Fi back) to stop mucking about with crap sounding and expensive streaming services and reminding how music should sound.

I look forward to spending time in CD shops again and can afford to buy several used CD's a week with the money I save on the music passes.

Audiophile Reborn! Careful Dood - there is some really expensive equipment out there at specialty stores! And I admire that people that love it!

Nice story you shared!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro