The Band and I are parting ways

LordP666

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I saw an article on Re/code about MS beefing up the band to support Strava and MapMyRide and decided to hook it up to my PC.

The Band came up as an unrecognized device.

Having a spare USB charging cable for the device I tried that - no good. Not the cable.

I decided to reboot the device and got the opposing arrows endlessly while connected to the PC - device still unrecognized.

As it happens I just bought a Surface Pro 3 a week ago so I installed MS Health and the Surface did recognize the device and loaded the software into the Band.

I thought I dodged a bullet but now the thing is stuck on "I can't find your phone" - this even though I'm still connected to the Surface which had recognized the Band, at least enough to install the software.

OK. Now I uninstall MS Health from my 1520 and re-install it, check the Bluetooth, all is OK. The Band still can't connect to my phone - I really don't care if it connects or not, but the device is stuck on this "I can't find your phone" business.

Let me cut to the chase.

I finally get the Surface to completely update & sync the Band and then try it again on the PC - no good "USB Device not recognized". All this time the 1520 still can't connect to the Band.

I plug the Band back into the Surface.....guess what? "USB Device not recognized". The Band still can't connect to the 1520.

I have been a MS supporter for a long, long time and will continue to be supporter, but not with this device - too high maintenance.

I have Beta tested Windows 98, XP, & MSN - all good experiences.

This is my first bad experience with MS and I think it maybe had to do with my high expectations - nah, bullish to that, I think I am entitled to expect a device to work when I buy it. But I do have this niggling feeling that maybe, just maybe, all those people that called the Band beta hardware may possibly have been on the mark.

I will probably take a hammer to the thing just to relieve some tension and then I'll go out and buy a real watch - don't need the health crap.

I will not be buying a new Band.

I'll miss Cortana though.

BTW, just in case you are wondering....not a chance in hell would I buy an i device - not a chance.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Where are you from and have you updated he band app on the phone? The new band firmware is not available yet, it is just announced so I do not know what you downloaded.

Some have reported update/sync issues outside the US and not in the UK and needing to set language to English (UK) to make it work (and it seems to be fine on the 'normal'setting afterwards).

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I saw an article on Re/code about MS beefing up the band to support Strava and MapMyRide and decided to hook it up to my PC.

Having a spare USB charging cable for the device I tried that - no good. Not the cable.

I decided to reboot the device and got the opposing arrows endlessly while connected to the PC - device still unrecognized.

As it happens I just bought a Surface Pro 3 a week ago so I installed MS Health and the Surface did recognize the device and loaded the software into the Band.

I thought I dodged a bullet but now the thing is stuck on "I can't find your phone" - this even though I'm still connected to the Surface which had recognized the Band, at least enough to install the software.

OK. Now I uninstall MS Health from my 1520 and re-install it, check the Bluetooth, all is OK. The Band still can't connect to my phone - I really don't care if it connects or not, but the device is stuck on this "I can't find your phone" business.

Let me cut to the chase.

I finally get the Surface to completely update & sync the Band and then try it again on the PC - no good "USB Device not recognized". All this time the 1520 still can't connect to the Band.

I plug the Band back into the Surface.....guess what? "USB Device not recognized". The Band still can't connect to the 1520.

I have been a MS supporter for a long, long time and will continue to be supporter, but not with this device - too high maintenance.

This is my first bad experience with MS and I think it maybe had to do with my high expectations - nah, bullish to that, I think I am entitled to expect a device to work when I buy it. But I do have this niggling feeling that maybe, just maybe, all those people that called the Band beta hardware may possibly have been on the mark.

I will probably take a hammer to the thing just to relieve some tension and then I'll go out and buy a real watch - don't need the health crap.

BTW, just in case you are wondering....not a chance in hell would I buy an i device - not a chance.

I've never had any problems with my Band and I've had it since release.

I'm sure it's under warranty, just send it back for a new one. Or just call support, they may know a quick fix.

Devices fail, it doesn't matter what it is our who makes it, some just fail. This is not a widespread problem so I don't see the need to knock the device like it's garbage.

Schneidz

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I contacted Microsoft support, they emailed me a link so that I could sync my band to my pc, as I have 2 mos. remaining on my flip phone contract. Don't know if I'll make it these last 2 months with flip phone. I enjoy my band and am considering wp for the link features.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Let me cut to the chase.

You have defective device. Why go through the song and dance drama implying some injury? Return it (if applicable) or exchange it under warranty. Defects happen - get over it and address as anyone should with a new (warranted) product. They certainly didn't sell you a defective unit just to inconvenience you personally....

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
"....I think I am entitled to expect a device to work when I buy it." Sure, that's why there is a one year warranty. Hopefully your hammer does not fail you.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've avoided all third party apps on my band....I just get the feeling they'll end up bricking the thing.

And yeah, someone on here mentioned changing the language to English (UK) for us users here in Britain.

I cannot emphasise enough how important that is....when your band arrives it'll be auto set to English (USA).....if you don't set it to UK you'll encounter all sorts of regional bugs...just reinforcing a point :)

WharncliffeOwl

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
There was no English UK option when I got mine last week only English ( US) and one other option which I think was English (European) or similar definitely no (UK) though. Can I go back and look for and change to English (UK) now?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
When I got mine, I had to start all the set up in us english to even download the app... once it was done, I switch back to english canada.

Never had the problem you seemed to have with my SP3 and my Lumia 930.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb