The CMA's handling of the Xbox-ABK deal is creating a political headache for the UK government

Jez Corden

Staff member
Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
great discussions here tbf. i think like most things, moderate regulation is probably the best bet. i wasn't criticizing the government's supposed position on deregulation or being in favor of it, merely pointing out the hypocrisy of them claiming to be for de-regulation but doing nothing to achieve that goal, with the CMA making them look like liars.

i think some clear regulations are important. deregulating the water industry in the uk has led to masses of sewage being pumped into water ways, which causes eutrophication, which kills wildlife and ecosystems, and just makes everything filthy. but their technology regs are just way too reductive rn.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
200% agreed.
The problem in this particular case in the US and UK is that the matter isn't being judged on administration policy but on the ideology of the bureaucrats who are both scrambling to find excuses and means to bypass the facts.

They *know* they're in the wrong but think they can run out the clock by delaying.

As bad as the position the CMA has painted themselves in, the FTC's Kahn is worse because her stated position from before the merger is based on neither law, nor policy, nor market analysis. Just her ideology against large companies. Made clear by her speech the day she was confirmed to the FTC which sounded more like a political campaign screed than a regulator's acknowledgement of responsibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124