The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you got the upgrade to WM10 from 8.1 without spoofing the name. Still interesting, though. I suspect the WM10 OS updates don't bother to check for the device model, since they are intended for all WM10 devices.

The nice thing about doing the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 without hard resetting is that my registry edits stayed intact. I still had tethering enabled after the upgrade.

Right now the only real issue I'm seeing is the Camera app, and that makes sense since the app probably has tweaks specific to the Nokia cameras.

At this point I would recommend to anyone with an SE to make this upgrade. It's definitely worth it.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience,have Bern running for more than 2 weeks without any issue . Have done a soft reset , as advised in one of the previous post , after installing all apps. It's ultra smooth, my daily driver.

Would like to share few tips for those who are having issue with tethering (Wifi Hotspot).

Download Nokia Access Point app from the store. If you don't find it then download an app called Manufacturer Apps' , running this app you will find all Nokia Apps store link. Select Access point and down load it from store. Set your apn and then go to your setting and try enabling WiFi hotspot .. Voila , now no Verizon error.

- If you like HERE maps, drive then you would find those links also in the Manufacturer Apps . Download and enjoy offline map.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I just pulled the plug and upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. I followed the directions to a tee and had no problems. My question is can I now remove the CustomWPSystem app? I would also like to change the phone back to it's original ATIV SE name and number in the registry. I read doing so shouldn't stop insider previews. My problem is I can't find the Zombified version of Preview for Developers anymore so I don't know how to get back into the registry to change it. Any help will be appreciated.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Finally got .107 installed on my backup ATIV SE as well thanks to the tips!

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to keeping the registry fields on NOKIA vs Samsung, or vice versa? Wondering if it will need ot be Nokia again once the Redstone builds get rolled out to other non-Lumia 950 devices.

Last but not least, anyone notice any overall improvements with .107 vs older builds? I was on .36 and went back to my ATIV SE with 8.1 due to bugs.

Thanks again!

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was on .36 for about 4 hours before I switched back to 8.1. WAY too buggy. I have been on .107 for several days now and it is running at least as well as 8.1 did on the phone. It's really night and day different.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
PuckCowboy

Not sure if I finally saw this earlier in this thread or another but I answered my own question, as well as yours, pertaining to keeping the NOKIA name vs Samsung. You can change back to Samsung but will not be able to get updates through the Insider Slow, Insider Fast or Insider Release Preview but you will still get the Production updates when they come out. Again, this was read somewhere else, not my own experience.

As a side note, I've had no problems on .107. It runs great and runs smooth. In fact, I would say it runs even better than 8.1. My wife is still on 8.1 (she has an ATIV SE also) and I think W10M .107 build is slightly faster. Not to mention much more intuitive in its layout.

Have fun

UPDATE: I decided to change my phone back to Samsung instead of NOKIA. I ran the Insider Preview app and I still had the choice of update rings. Let's see what happens.

UPDATE 2: While changing my registry values to update to 14267.1004 (See Below) I noticed I still had the NOKIA model number in the registry. This leads me to believe if you don't care so much about that and more so about what the description states in the About I would suggest leaving the model name but go ahead and change the manufacturer back to Samsung. Like I stated above I still had all the update rings when changing just the mfg name.

Last edited:

PablosH_Snake

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hello there!! I registered on these forums in order to answer and share my experience as well: in my particular case, I?ve update my Ativ SE to Windows 10 using the registry hack. Then I made a hard reset to the phone and now the original phone manufacturer as well the correct model appear on the "About" section of the config.

Going to the Insider app, I?m not able to select Slow or Fast Ring. Only "Production Ring". I select that as well and I hope (why not) that we can receive future updates trought this ring :)

The only bug that I have these days ago was that some non Windows 10 apps (like Imdb or WhatsApp) don?t work right or directly don?t open. Then I remember the solution that another user of this forum share with us (by the way: Thanks a lot!! :D ): reinstall these apps that don?t work properly or don?t open. This happens to me a week ago and since then, I have no more problems. And I hope it stays that way.

If I can help to anyone who needs, I?ll be very pleased to answer any question about this wonderfull operating system on our beloved Ativs SE :D

PD: sorry for my terrible english. I think I need more practice ^^U

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Anybody try upgrading to the new Redstone preview build of 14267.1004 yet? Looks like there are a few doing it on the ATIV S with the following settings in registry edited:

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

Someone in the ATIV S forum said it might actually be less smooth than .107. But curious nonetheless.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I just changed my registry values to what PuckCowboy mentioned above. Currently downloading 14267.1004 as I type this. Will let you all know how it goes.

PuckCowboy, the person in the ATIV S forum may be correct. The S has less "Impressiveness" than the SE. The SE has nearly the same specs as the Lumia 950, believe it or not...:eek:rly:

UPDATE: Okay, all is looking good so far. No issues. Everything I tried (Outlook, Excel, Store, Edge) work fine. I know there are a lot of other apps to try, but that's it for now. Now I'm setting it up for Fast Ring again. Let's see if I continue to get updates. To Be Continued.........

UPDATE 2: Well, so far so good. The only thing I can see so far that is a little out of sorts is the keyboard. When trying to click a letter it will sometimes select the "key" next to it. I don't know if this is my finger accidentally selecting the key or if the actual keyboard is off slightly. It makes typing a little slower.

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, I tried to upgrade my wife's ATIV SE. Instead of using NOKIA I jumped straight to the Microsoft Lumia 950 and tried to do the upgrade to the latest insider version. I don't know if this was a mistake or not or I did something else wrong. Her phone is now in a boot loop. Going to try a hard reset when I get home but worse comes to worse I buy her a new phone.....

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the help, especially PabloH_Snake for providing me with the information and download location for the WP8.0 firmware and the way to load it. Alls working well again. Will try to upgrade once again after all the apps update themselves. Thanks again all. I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: Okay, all went well this time. I DID NOT try to jump right to 14267.1004. Instead I started with the previous build using the NOKIA registry values. After doing so, I changed the values to the Lumia 950 values and all is going as expected.

Last edited:

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Help:

how to downgrade hack samsung ativ se to windows 8.1?????????

Here is a link to my Onedrive folder with the files I use to flash back to stock. Note: this will take you back to 8.0. You'll need to accept a number of software updates afterwards.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...36&authkey=!ADJiXvCQK8wiWJM&ithint=folder,txt

Basically it boils down to:

1. Install the USB drivers.
2. Start flash tool.
3. Plug in the phone.
4. Load csc and wp8 file.
5. Go!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to share my experience,have Bern running for more than 2 weeks without any issue . Have done a soft reset , as advised in one of the previous post , after installing all apps. It's ultra smooth, my daily driver.

Would like to share few tips for those who are having issue with tethering (Wifi Hotspot).

Download Nokia Access Point app from the store. If you don't find it then download an app called Manufacturer Apps' , running this app you will find all Nokia Apps store link. Select Access point and down load it from store. Set your apn and then go to your setting and try enabling WiFi hotspot .. Voila , now no Verizon error.

- If you like HERE maps, drive then you would find those links also in the Manufacturer Apps . Download and enjoy offline map.

So I think I did it correctly and got it working, but just to be sure, what are the exact settings you have setup in the Verizon APN of the Access Point app?

Thanks again!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, I think because of changing my phone registry so it sees it as a Lumia 950 when I download Manufacturer Apps I only get Microsoft apps not NOKIA. So, here's my question, is there certain registry values I can change that will allow me to share my data connection with my tablet? If so, where would I go in the registry to do so?

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Download manufacturers app and scroll to access point in it. Install it and save whatever apn u want to then u can tether ur ativ se via internet sharing

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
So I think I did it correctly and got it working, but just to be sure, what are the exact settings you have setup in the Verizon APN of the Access Point app?

Thanks again!

Hello

No change to be made to the Verizon APN. Just add a new apn with setting for your carrier and enable it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I was on 8.1.1 stock. Thought of updating to windows 10. Did not waste any time and did the whole process. When updated to windows 10 i was happy with features but the battery issue made me sick. Did take me 2 days to set but now battery is within normal range. Goes through a day with moderate usage. No gaming but browsing. And many features are good. Finally feeling like not reverting back to android.

Last edited:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello

No change to be made to the Verizon APN. Just add a new apn with setting for your carrier and enable it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Yes, but that is my question. Does anyone know the settings for Verizon? I've looked online but can't find a clear answer for this phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124