The 'I've got a 8X!' thread

anth77uk

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
You can buy it from phones4u for ?379. Its not sim free as you have to get it with a pay as you go sim with ?10 on it. They are unlocked to all networks though.

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Ouch! That's bad that it doesn't even warn. Is PhotoSynth available? Have you tried it?

Otherwise, nifty device that's sure to drive WP8 volumes up. Glad for everyone who got it :)

As I previously mentioned, Photosynth is mysteriously absent from the Marketplace, at least on my 8X. (Still shows up from my HD7.) It's very weird, given they're all already there in the marketplace.

The only reason I can think of is that they haven't published the WP8-compatible versions to the Marketplace/Store yet, so everyone who picks up a WP8 as their first Windows Phone would be confused/frustrated by the limited functionality and black borders and just assume the apps are bad. Then again, I feel like I'm clutching at straws here.

nicooke

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Reboots here too. It restarts fast and never when I'm doing something really. Im thinking it is probably a software thing. Anyone know where to tell HTC about the reboot thread? Skype and Skydrive for wp8 aren't out yet. Remember The phone and os are bleedingly new and this is htc so will be buggy for a month or two. Or xda will crack secure boot ;)

Last edited:

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised by one thing - half the apps which are available on WP7 are not available on WP8. Why is this? No Skype, no Skydrive, no Photosynth. I'm sure there are more, too.

Well I know that Skype is not available because they are going to release a updated version for WP8 which is more integrated and doesn't use as much battery power as any other Skype app on any other platform.

Microsoft announces Skype app for Windows Phone 8 with new UI, deep People Hub integration (video) -- Engadget

Maybe their other apps like Skydrive are getting a similar treatment ?

runam0k

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I remember the Lumia 800 having a reboot issue when it first came out. I swapped my phone 3 times. I'd swap it, just to be sure, but it could be a software bug.

anth77uk

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I've just posted on the reboot thread. But I'll post here to. I've been deleting apps to see if it helps with the reboots. I deleted the Facebook app at about 6 and I've not had any since. Ill update tomorrow if this has solved the issue

Krumpett

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i bought my 8X from Phones4u today. No major problems or reboots so far. Battery is draining quickly after first charge. Will keep you updated

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So jealous, feels nice in the hand?? And how is the keyboard for typing? Pretty nice or cramped?? I'm using gs3

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

hulkkii

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll post same here as to the Lumia 920 thread:
Can someone of you who already have WP8 phone try some camera performance/speed benchmarking on it and upload results to web with CamSpeed app. If possible try different resolutions and both with WP7 and WP8 Camera API.

Tanks! :p

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Any comment about the sound quality? Does the beats audio and amplifier make a difference?

Also, does the beats audio work on any earphone / headphone?

Thanks!

Writetomichael

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio is nice - it comes on automatically when you play a song/video. You know that because a little message pops up each time you plug in headphones and start playing.
I have turned it off (via settings) mid song and there is a noticeable difference. Essentially with Beats audio, songs are louder and a bit basier. Definately a nice addition although not groundbreaking.

I love my HTC 8x - it fits nicely in the hand and the screen is just AMAZING. Seriously nice. I have come from an iphone and it's a really nice change.

BTW if you have built a whole iphone infastructure (ie airplay with airport express) there is an equivalent of the "Remote" app in the windows store. I have it and can control the itunes on my WHS 2011 box and select airplay speakers! sweet!

I have a burning issue though - anyone worked out how to transfer their iphone contacts across? I have itunes on my WHS 2011 server and under "info" there is no option to sync contacts with hotmail, just windows or gmail....

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
"Hardware Tests" says gyro not available on mine.

Damn.

And thank you for the real answer... that's what I was expecting. Engadget throws it off at the end of a list that didn't give me any confidence in their reporting.

Anyone try using Photosynth on the 8x? That's my primary concern, not gaming. If that works fine I will feel better. <Never mind, I see above that it's not in the Win8 store yet>

Thanks!

Last edited:

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

enare

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I am so excited for mine to arrive in the ma tomorrow. My wife and I, in our 20's, finally made the move to buy our first smartphones. We felt like dinosaurs when we were ordering the phone becasue we are upgrading from flip phones. It was about time, and I did not want to go with an Iphone.

As I anticipate the arrival of these phones, I am doing a lot of research into cases. I plan on either being an otterbox defender or incipio case. I have a bad habit of dropping my phone and need allt he protection I can get. Anyone have any insight into the incipio dual pro and if it compares to the otterbox?

On a related note, I am looking for a clutch/wallet case for my wife, and was wondering if anyone had found something that was elegant but fun and was suitable for this phone?

Lean4838

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am from the Philippines and I finally got mine last Thursday! I've really been wanting this phone and had a hard time searching for its availability here! But finally I got my hands on it!

I'm really happy with my 8X! Very good deal!

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Just picked mine up, fed ex was scheduled to deliver to my home today, but the package arrived 'after couriers departed' so took a little time off work to go get it. Its sitting next to me charging, cant wait to get it home and actually turn it on for real! I stared at the 'lets get started' screen, how crisp it was, then went and looked at my Thunderbolt running an WP8 launcher. I swear I think I saw it shed a tear! Form really rocks now that I can freely hold it! Looking forward to setting it up, especially with my xbox account. Oh, and yea, I got the blue. The red looked pukeish to me, and the black was too ordinary. Verizon carrier by the way.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I got my gray and yellow 8x yesterday and I am enjoying it immensely! The more I use it the more awesome it gets. I am coming from, in reverse order, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid Bionic, HTC Droid Incredible. The Bionic was my favorite of those 3 and the Nexus, the one I just gave up for the 8x, was my least favorite. It was losing its connectivity 4 to 5 times a day and having to be rebooted. I read all I could get my hands on before deciding to try a different OS and decided on the 8x. I really like it so I sincerely hope it doesn't disappoint in the reliability department! Praying for a long and healthy relationship with this handsome phone. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria