The Logitech G Cloud: A cloud gaming device that I didn’t need, but I’m glad I have

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like Logitech needs to emphasize the non-cloud uses a bit more.
And market it for tweens.
Because the mobile game capability takes it to a place neither Steam nor Nintendo can go. Plus the streaming apps, Netflix, Disney, Max (they work, right?).
Plus it gives the kids a screen to ply console games while the 'dults monopolize the big TV.
A bit of a price cut (US$299) might help.

BTW, given that it supports XBOX console streaming, the prooer comparison looks to be the Sony portal more than the Switch.

Logitech needs better marketing.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I actually fully believe this device has a niche and it suits a certain person perfectly. I’m glad Jenn found a use for it. Personally I would fully take the plunge here but that $399 CAD pricing will forever turn me off is the thing. If this had lunched for $150 or $200 USD then maybe it had a chance. But no matter how many articles there are saying “The G Cloud is good actually!” it will never gain any traction at that price point. Sad, because Logitech potentially had a real winner in the market if they had compromised

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
I actually fully believe this device has a niche and it suits a certain person perfectly. I’m glad Jenn found a use for it. Personally I would fully take the plunge here but that $399 CAD pricing will forever turn me off is the thing. If this had lunched for $150 or $200 USD then maybe it had a chance. But no matter how many articles there are saying “The G Cloud is good actually!” it will never gain any traction at that price point. Sad, because Logitech potentially had a real winner in the market if they had compromised
True but if you look at the hardware they couldn't get it to $200 without cutting out the parts that make it work. Look at the Sony Portal and what they did to get to US$200. No cloud, no local gaming, no bluetooth... It's just a Wii U controller. Talk about niche.

The lowest Logitech could get, by compromising, might be US$250.
Look at the price of tablet controller cradles (Razer?) and decent 7/8" tablets and you might get to $200 but without the battery life.

It is what it is. A niche product, yes, but a *good* product that checks off a lot of uses, unlike the Sony Portal, which only checks off *one* use case.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
True but if you look at the hardware they couldn't get it to $200 without cutting out the parts that make it work. Look at the Sony Portal and what they did to get to US$200. No cloud, no local gaming, no bluetooth... It's just a Wii U controller. Talk about niche.

The lowest Logitech could get, by compromising, might be US$250.
Look at the price of tablet controller cradles (Razer?) and decent 7/8" tablets and you might get to $200 but without the battery life.

It is what it is. A niche product, yes, but a *good* product that checks off a lot of uses, unlike the Sony Portal, which only checks off *one* use case.

Oh, I fully understand that. To be clear I agree it would be hard to slice this thing down and make a good margin. Logitech has no way to loss lead with a device like this. But that’s exactly the problem is the device kind of exists in this space where, sadly, it shouldn’t have existed.

The problems of compromise can’t be solved without everyone losing in some fashion 😔. Consumers will have to pay too much to own it, and logitech can’t sell enough units to make it viable at the price it needs to sell it at. At that point someone should have gone back to the boardroom on this… Chinese handhelds are finally at a point where the G Cloud can’t compete on price *or* a mix of quality and power.

It’s unfortunate. But at some point Logitech is going to offload these things for cheap and at the very least it’ll make a lot of patent folks happy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124