The Lumia 2520 value proposition

bobdonkey

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So it looks like theprice reduction in the UK for the Lumia 2520 is permanent on the John Lewessite. I have attempted to compare 3 similarly specced tablets with 32GB ofstorage, and all with 4G LTE, this being one of my main requirements. I alsotried to add in some Samsung Android tablets, but they are such a confusingmess of similar products (Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 310.1), and some even come with different types of CPU, which then affectswhether or not 4G is available. I gave up in the end.
Tablet
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9
Nokia Lumia 2520
Apple iPad Air
Storage
32GB
32GB
32GB
SD slot

Yes
No
RAM
2GB
2GB
1GB
CPU
2.2GHz quad-core
2.2GHz quad-core
1.4GHz dual-core A7
Screen
8.9"
10.1"
9.7"
Pixel density
4G/3G
4G LTE
4G LTE
4G LTE
Price
?449.00
?299.95
?579.00
Weight
384g
615g
478g
Notes
No Ads version
Includes Office

Link
John Lewis
[URL="https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/#mn_p]Apple store[/URL]

So we are left with3 decent devices, the Kindle HDX, the Lumia 2520 and the iPad air. The Kindlehas a smaller screen but benefits from low weight, however once you specify32GB of storage, 4G and no ads version, the price really mounts up. The iPad aseveryone knows is reassuringly expensive.

What seems amazingis that the Nokia is ?150 cheaper than the nearest rival if you want a 4G largecurrent gen tablet. Not only that, it includes Office which would require a ?75a year subscription on iPad, albeit that is a touch version. Most people arealready invested in an ecosystem, so this probably doesn?t make that muchdifference, but to me this is pretty amazing value. The Nokia is a finedevice and for this price is very tempting, if you can handle the lack of appsin the store. Itis also the only device with expandable storage.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by a lack of apps? Unless you are talking about games. The Nokia 2520 is hands down the best of the lot price wise or otherwise, period.

bobdonkey

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
What do I mean by lack of apps? I mean that there are less apps than on the other platforms (IOS, Android). Same situation on Windows Phone. In my view they are superior platforms, but hampered by lack of support from developers. I don't think that is contentious.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
What do I mean by lack of apps? I mean that there are less apps than on the other platforms (IOS, Android). Same situation on Windows Phone. In my view they are superior platforms, but hampered by lack of support from developers. I don't think that is contentious.

There are 1000 fart sound board apps and 50 flashlight apps on IOS and Android. What more do you need? LOL I jest.. In all honestly. I really havent noticed since the apps that are "missing" are none that I am interested in and using a full browser is a workaround for my specific bank and using Amazon mp3 for now. I think the 2520 is a terrific value, if you use it as a tablet with the occasional need for Office.

boasist

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I was disappointed by the support for apps. Sonos, nest, fitbit, to name a few on my list. Not to mention there are practically no first party apps that are worth anything. Banks, paypal, xfinity, spotify, nope any windows iteration of those is quite poor. So yes, there are app issues.

Office is nice, and the 2520 has it's own pros and cons, but being a consumption device, it needs better support.

Zooming and tapping radio buttons in ie was horrible, the keyboard implementation on the desktop vs. an app, just very rough around the edges overall.

I'll be putting my 2520 and power keyboard for sale soon as a result. It's a device that just doesn't fit with my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h