THE most annoying Lumia bug EVER (experienced on multiple Lumias and OS versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
What's going on with the Lumia Camera for the last few years? It's a GREAT camera app and takes better photos than ANY other smartphone I've ever had (and I have had SO MANY)... but one VERY aggravating and really stupid, frustrating problem *ALL* my 7 Lumias have had on many variations of 8.1 and 10, is this "Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... "

... across the camera app for anywhere between 5 seconds and TWENTY MINUTES!! Yes, I posted "Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... Saving... " that many times to clarify and convey the absolute aggravation that this causes me as a photographer (and as a general phone user too) and the sheer astonishment I hold that NO ONE at nokia or Microsoft seem competent enough or willing enough to fix. This happens ALL the time, and yes - even on internal storage and without "Rich Capture" turned on, and on external storage (only EVER genuine SanDisk Ultra cards) - what on EARTH is going on at Microsoft Towers, that they don't deem this horrendous mess of a bug to be worth of fixing?

No other camera phone I have ever owned (and again, that is A LOT of them over Android and iOS, and also Symbian) has this problem - why is it that iOS and Android - even the crappy Androids - can take a photo, write it to storage and move on, ready for the next shot, in a MAXIMUM of 1-2 secs, but NOT Lumias? I had this on the 650 also - a current model.

Microsoft are making good phones, and the 640/640 XL I use are tremendous... BUT... BUT... they are never going to regain traction if such fundamental OS functionality is not FIXED. Microsoft seem not to take their platform seriously enough to warrant fixing it.

Thoughts? Cheers :)

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Never experienced anything like this with any of our Lumia's from a few 7 series, 520, 830, 930, 1520 and 950XL.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Never experienced anything like this with any of our Lumia's from a few 7 series, 520, 830, 930, 1520 and 950XL.

Well, clearly you've never taken a photo with one of those Lumias. :) My 950 takes forever to complete the "finishing touches" on images, it's ridiculous. Also, it can't take more than about seven pictures before choking on it's own incompetence and plastering "Saving..." on the screen. In comparison, an iPhone 6 can take a burst of 999 photos in a row without hiccup or issue, without even getting warm! The 950 is perpetually hot even when sitting unused on a table.

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Well, clearly you've never taken a photo with one of those Lumias. :) My 950 takes forever to complete the "finishing touches" on images, it's ridiculous. Also, it can't take more than about seven pictures before choking on it's own incompetence and plastering "Saving..." on the screen. In comparison, an iPhone 6 can take a burst of 999 photos in a row without hiccup or issue, without even getting warm! The 950 is perpetually hot even when sitting unused on a table.

A realist, finally. :)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Just curious, are you saving to the SD card or phone? I have only owned one Lumina and never seen or heard if this before.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Just curious, are you saving to the SD card or phone? I have only owned one Lumina and never seen or heard if this before.

If you read the opening post, you'll find out ;)

Please, please don't try and tell me that it's anything to do with which storage location I am using - it isn't, and you're barking up the wrong tree. Read my OP - I have had this issue with SEVEN Lumias, all different models and they ALL did it, regardless of the save location.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
A realist, finally. :)

I agree with you that the "Saving..." screen does happen, but I think for some people, it may actually be possible to never see the "Saving..." screen. I have a Lumia 635 with 14393.189 production on it, and I was able to take 50 photos non-stop and I didn't experience "Saving..." on it once. Photos save to a Class 10 card.

However, on the Lumia 640 with the same build, I got the "Saving..." screen within 5 pictures. Both phones save to the SD card. Same class 10 SanDisk SD cards. No Living Images. No HDR. It aggravated the hell out of me when I took this phone with me on vacation a few months back. Constant "Saving...Saving...Saving...", so I know what you mean.

In case those of you who've never seen it before are wondering what we're talking about, here's a screenshot:
wp_ss_20160923_0001.jpg

nithinRaj-730

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I am using lumia for 5 years. Actually I own only lumia phones. 520, 730 and now 830. I never experienced this problem,because I never take photos in a burst. Now I tried and my 830 (w10 AU) can only take 10 burst shots before it shows 'saving'. Also the " adding finishing touches......" is very much annoying.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Well, I understand your point. I think that's because of the way Lumia imaging algorithm is different from others. That's why it takes great images. My 640, with some registry enable, can even shoot RAW photos. Enhancing images from Raw sensor to create fantastic jpeg can take time.
My own thinking anyway.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

If you read the opening post, you'll find out ;)

Please, please don't try and tell me that it's anything to do with which storage location I am using - it isn't, and you're barking up the wrong tree. Read my OP - I have had this issue with SEVEN Lumias, all different models and they ALL did it, regardless of the save location.

Yeah, reread OP and saw it. I must have coughed or something while reading and skipped over that part. Sorry.

I just took 20 pictures in a row, as fast as the camera was capable ob my 735 and couldn't get the "savings" message.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, I understand your point. I think that's because of the way Lumia imaging algorithm is different from others. That's why it takes great images. My 640, with some registry enable, can even shoot RAW photos. Enhancing images from Raw sensor to create fantastic jpeg can take time.
My own thinking anyway.

Yeah, the 950 (for instance) takes some pretty excellent pictures, better than an iPhone 6 to be certain. Also, to my earlier comment about this Apple phone, shooting 1,000 images in a continuous burst is a rather useless parlor trick, but nonetheless it's still an impressive show of processing power!

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
With all respect folks, I am not asking anyone to confirm or deny that this bug exists - it exists - the fact that a couple of people in the tiny metric of a sample quantity that is this SINGLE thread, have also/do also experience it, is proof enough. Google it and see for yourselves. If you try and find it but cannot replicate it, that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean that the problem isn't a problem and doesn't happen, it does.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I take photos all the time with my 950. I mean, Really all the time. And the only time it takes a while for it to process the image is when I have HDR on. But that's just if I wish to look at the image right away. I can snap a new shot without any delay.

I'm curious if you have all the latest firmware? I would take a shot at running WDRT and reset the phone. Installing all the updates, without recover from backup.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I had issues with the latest Redstone build on my 950, but since I've reverted back to the latest production version of Win10M, it's working perfectly, photos are ready pretty much instantly, this was most definitely not the case under RS2, also the sharing of photos was broken as well. The only thing I miss is that RS2 used to automatically shrink the size of photos attached to emails.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Never have i experienced it myself nor have i heard of it before. OP mentions about 'Lumia Camera' is that the lumia camera app that you have mentioned then i guess you already know that it is incompatible with win 10 mobile and you can come up with many new bugs and glitches overtime, but if you mean the stock camera app then its surprising.

Also what other lumia devices you own? You claim to have 7 lumia handsets

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just tried on my ancient Lumia 1520:
-fired off 11 rich capture shots before I got SAVING for a second
-fired off 13 more before I got SAVING, this time about 2 seconds

NOW, NOTHING (no app) was open in the background, when I did this.
I save to my sdcard, a fast card, brand, name elude me.
Sounds like some cheese proffered to the OP ...

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I did side by side w same builds on 950xl and 640XL and up to date iPhone 6Plus.

The iPhone shot endlessly with no Saving or crashing. The 950xl shot between 3 and 6 before Saving, and then eventually crashed the app, and sometimes crashed the phone.

The 640XL is the champ of Lumias as, on same build as 950xl, it performed flawlessly. Albeit a little slower than iPhone 6 Plus, but worlds better than 950XL.
Thankfully I got a full refund of $650 for the 950xl and paid $130 for the superior 640xl. No more Saving, crashing and mos importantly no more missed shots!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Man, I remember the Saving bug on early builds of W10. I haven't encountered that in a very long time. I'd completely forgotten about it until this thread.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
With all respect folks, I am not asking anyone to confirm or deny that this bug exists - it exists - the fact that a couple of people in the tiny metric of a sample quantity that is this SINGLE thread, have also/do also experience it, is proof enough. Google it and see for yourselves. If you try and find it but cannot replicate it, that's all well and good, but that doesn't mean that the problem isn't a problem and doesn't happen, it does.

It has been suggested you try a clean install
I would also suggest disabling photo uploads

It happens for you, we understand, all we can do here on the forums is offer suggestions on what to try.

glossywhite

Banned
Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Never have i experienced it myself nor have i heard of it before. OP mentions about 'Lumia Camera' is that the lumia camera app that you have mentioned then i guess you already know that it is incompatible with win 10 mobile and you can come up with many new bugs and glitches overtime, but if you mean the stock camera app then its surprising.

Also what other lumia devices you own? You claim to have 7 lumia handsets

Lumia Camera, Micrsoft Camera, Whatever-they're-calling-it-this-month Camera, what's the difference?

I have owned, over the last 2 years, 6 other Lumias, and no - I am not about to sit down and rattle off a list to you so that it passes your judgement. You say "claim" as if I was lying, and I don't make a habit of not telling the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb