The mysterious disappearance of the Phone App ICON from the start page!?!?

Diazruanova

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone!

As the title says, the "new" Microsoft Phone App for Win 10 Mobile TILE, disappeared from the Start page, vanished, Nada!

I was having a phone conversation and after ending it, the Phone App froze and I had to restart the Mobile Phone which btw, is a Microsoft Lumia 435 with the very latest, up to date Windows 10 mobile OS.

After restarting the Phone, to my dismay, the Phone Icon was gone, leaving a black space in its place (please take a look at the Missing Icon-1 JPG) and it was nowhere to be found on the "Start Page", so I went to the "All Apps" page and there it was the "Phone APP", so I pressed the Icon for couple of seconds and the "Pin to Start" option which slides up, was Grayed Out!!! (please take a look at the Missing Icon-2 JPG) as if the TILE was still visible on the Start Page.

I immediately proceeded to do a Soft reset, but to no avail, so before doing a hard reset, I would be very grateful and happy if some one here can lead me to a possible, not so drastic solution.

BTW, The phone works as usual, but it is kind of a drag to have to enter the apps page, scroll down to find the Phone Icon and only then, be able to make a call!.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Enrique Diazruanova.

Attachments

• Missing Icon-1.jpg
    Missing Icon-1.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Missing Icon-2.jpg
    Missing Icon-2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure the phone tile didn't get moved to the bottom of the Start screen? I've had that happen to me a few times on my 1520.

Diazruanova

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Ed, I have done that, the Tile is nowhere to be found (not at the bottom or at the top) and I even did a soft reset, as my post says!

Jackson Ombati

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Please go to the space on home screen where the phone app was originally located and press on it to unpin the app from home screen the app-The app is still there only that its hidden/ you won't see it. Next, go to 'all apps list' and pin it again to the screen and it should work again. I have A 435 lumia too and that happened to me too and that is how I solved the problem.
This usually happens whenever there is a new update.

Whenever you see apps missing icons you can use the above method to solve the problem, as opposed to soft resetting or reboot.

Diazruanova

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much Jackson,

that sounds logical and I did not think about it, but I did not get any luck!

Maybe the app got corrupted in some way causing the disappearance of its tile after the crash, which is different to your vanishing tiles which happen after updates!.

Maybe i?ll have to do a hard reset! :unhappysweat:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I've had this exact thing as well on my 1520 since 10586.218 (official).

I was hoping the next update (.318) would correct it, but it has not. I've gone back to my 640 and have been lazy about doing a Reset on the 1520 to see if it would fix this issue.

I'll try it now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So after a Reset (software method) and a Restore... No luck, the Phone Icon is still MIA. I'm letting the Apps update and I'll see if I can get an update to Phone that will help out, but it's doubtful.

Next step will be Reset without Restore of Backup...

Diazruanova

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Well,

I performed the hard reset and it certainly was the solution, but it is a slow process and it will take quite some time to leave it in its original state, bummer :angry:

Thank you all of you guys, maybe one of these days Microsoft will solve this flaw! ...we?ll see.

E. Diazruanova

Diazruanova

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I did the Settings > System > About > Reset Your Phone way and skipped the memory card and no, I did not restore any back up!

For me, as I understand it, a Soft reset is accomplished by pressing the Power/Lock key and the Volume down button at the same time for 10+ sec

For more info, visit: http://www.wpxbox.com/how-to-hard-soft-reset-windows-10-mobile/

Hope this help.

Enrique Diazruanova

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I dunno, I would have tried removing SIM rebooting, then adding it back in and rebooting. Then changing the SIM name. At least before I went into the hard reset direction hehe.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I dunno, I would have tried removing SIM rebooting, then adding it back in and rebooting. Then changing the SIM name. At least before I went into the hard reset direction hehe.

Hadn't consciously thought of that. Makes sense though.

Unfortunately, I've already pulled my SIM to put it in my 640 and a subsequent reboot and reset still didn't fix it.

Must be an error that follows the backup or one that is in the recovery files... I'm being lazy again so probably next week is when I'll reset with no backup. If that doesn't work I'll WDRT to 8.1 and leave it there for a bit.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Hadn't consciously thought of that. Makes sense though.

Unfortunately, I've already pulled my SIM to put it in my 640 and a subsequent reboot and reset still didn't fix it.

Must be an error that follows the backup or one that is in the recovery files... I'm being lazy again so probably next week is when I'll reset with no backup. If that doesn't work I'll WDRT to 8.1 and leave it there for a bit.

That is so weird.

I would try:

Disable messaging sync with PC since it uses the sim for the communication part. Disable any syncing in Cortana.
Try ease of access High Contrast ON. If it's there somehow it should have a border around it and maybe let you manipulate it.

Heck there's even the registry tool available to mess with the registry maybe it will show a corrupt entry or who knows.

I'm at a point with my phone where I hope I don't have to do another hard reset haha. And since I never restore backups I don't want to have to work on my Start screen again.

Heck, I just hope saving start themes comes sometime soon. Seriously long over do.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb