The next Surface 4 (2016) - early rumors and thoughts!

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Are there any early rumors about the next Surface 4?

Will they continue with Intel Atom processor or is there a chance for Intel Core M?

I think the next Surface 4 will get:
  • Windows Hello
  • USB-C port
  • Improved keyboard and kick-stand
  • Stylus that attaches to the sides of the screen
  • No physical home button on the screen like the new Surface Pro 4 (I don't mean the OS)

Do you agree or disagree?
What are your early expectations or thoughts?

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The first three, not important to more, but that last one. Geez. They just put that button back. Well the start menu that is.

I would love for the pen to slide in like the Samsung Note series phones

And the 3 has a LTE version already, so 4 will also have both. I do like the smaller size though.

The kickstand is good enough, but it will probably be more like the pro.

I wish the would change the CPU. Might help on speed a bit.

But since I don't use the tab a lot, what it has will do. I just use it when I go on vacation. Don't want to lug my 17" laptop with me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: The next Surface 4 (early rumors and thoughts)

They just put that button back. Well the start menu that is.

I mean the physical home button on the screen, not the OS. Like the new Surface Pro 4.

I would love for the pen to slide in like the Samsung Note series phones

It won't happen, the stylus is too thick.

The kickstand is good enough, but it will probably be more like the pro.

Yes, more like the Pro.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I mean the physical home button on the screen, not the OS. Like the new Surface Pro 4.

OK, I generally only use one screen on my tab, so Not a problem here, of course it could be a problem if I keep hitting it like I do on my Note Edge. LoL

It won't happen, the stylus is too thick.

Never say Never (Or won't) The stylus can be made a lot thinner, it's just cheaper to make it thick. ;) I put a loop on my keyboard made from duct tape to hold the pen. At least now I won't lose it. LoL

Yes, more like the Pro.

I think they will, there has been enough complaints about it...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I think they will keep the form factor and size the same, update the guts of the machine, and call it a day. that's all that's needed. My 2 surface 3s get in on Tuesday just in time for our montreal vacation. Just got a fresh redo of my 1020 to go as well. Can't wait!

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

Never say Never (Or won't) The stylus can be made a lot thinner, it's just cheaper to make it thick. ;) I put a loop on my keyboard made from duct tape to hold the pen. At least now I won't lose it. LoL

The pen shouldn't be too thin. I thought the pen to the Surface Pro 2 was too thin.
The pen should mimic a real pen in thickness.

jack69453

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

It is going to use the Intel Buxton SOC/willow trail processor. Which is the Goldmont architecture.

It is supposed to include gen 9 graphics and emmc 5.0 storage.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

It is going to use the Intel Buxton SOC/willow trail processor. Which is the Goldmont architecture.

It is supposed to include gen 9 graphics and emmc 5.0 storage.

Interesting. Will Willow Trail have more than 1.6GHz?

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't care so much about the specs. The 3 woefully underperforms with Win10.

After an RT and a S3, I just want a Surface that lives up to expectations and isn't a dog, and that's all about making Windows an efficient mobile platform. I don't think I'd give Microsoft another chance unless they do something pretty amazing.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Well I don't care so much about the specs. The 3 woefully underperforms with Win10.

After an RT and a S3, I just want a Surface that lives up to expectations and isn't a dog, and that's all about making Windows an efficient mobile platform. I don't think I'd give Microsoft another chance unless they do something pretty amazing.

In what way does the Surface 3 underperforms?
Shouldn't you choose the Surface Pro, if you think that the non-Pro Surface performs woefully?

I think it's a big different between the Surface RT and Surface 3 although I have never owned one.
I ordered the Surface Pro 2 for like 1-2 years ago but returned it (mainly due to disliking Windows 8).
However, Windows 10 appeals to me, and I have always had an eye for the Surfaces.

Again, it would be interesting to know why you think that the Surface 3 is underperforming.

I have only heard good things about it. Especially for its price and what you get.
I have seen people do basic photo and video editing and playing games.
Sure, the Surface Pro is better, but that's why it's called Pro.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my Surface 3 on a day to day or even month to month. I might use it once or twice this year. But compared to HP 17" i7 with 64GB Ram and 1.5TB HD space (Main drive being a 500GB SSD drive) the Surface 3 is in SloMo... But the reason I own it, is I go out to my daughters once a year and that is about 1,000 miles east of me. I really don't like dragging that heavy laptop with me. So I leave it home and take the Surface. I use to own the Dell Venue Pro 10, but crashed it and couldn't restore it, it needed a new memory chip. So I sold it. Was going to pick up something cheaper, but the Surface 3 seemed interesting. While not as fast as the i5 in my Dell, but fast enough so I bring it with me. My phone does most of the work on the road (Samsung Note Edge) But there are times when I need WIndows. And no, the Windows Phone won't work because there is an app I use and they don't have it. And there is nothing I found that does the same.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
My phone does most of the work on the road (Samsung Note Edge) But there are times when I need WIndows. And no, the Windows Phone won't work because there is an app I use and they don't have it. And there is nothing I found that does the same.

Just so you know, you can install Android apps on Windows Phone 10.

Rebeska

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Is there an app for that? And no, I did not know... Now you got my interest perked... How?

No, it's not as simple as an app, but it works.

I have had Windows Phone 8 (Lumia 1020) but I sold it due to poor app selection.
Despite this, I'm willing to try again.
I hope that universal apps can help the platform but in the meantime I can install Android apps.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't use my Surface 3 on a day to day or even month to month. I might use it once or twice this year. But compared to HP 17" i7 with 64GB Ram and 1.5TB HD space (Main drive being a 500GB SSD drive) the Surface 3 is in SloMo... But the reason I own it, is I go out to my daughters once a year and that is about 1,000 miles east of me. I really don't like dragging that heavy laptop with me. So I leave it home and take the Surface. I use to own the Dell Venue Pro 10, but crashed it and couldn't restore it, it needed a new memory chip. So I sold it. Was going to pick up something cheaper, but the Surface 3 seemed interesting. While not as fast as the i5 in my Dell, but fast enough so I bring it with me. My phone does most of the work on the road (Samsung Note Edge) But there are times when I need WIndows. And no, the Windows Phone won't work because there is an app I use and they don't have it. And there is nothing I found that does the same.

My surface 3 fits in my lap, or plane, or tent a hell of a lot better than that 17" behemoth however! ha ha!

Windows 10 will change a lot of people to windows mobile once the universal app program is fully up and running.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
In what way does the Surface 3 underperforms?
Shouldn't you choose the Surface Pro, if you think that the non-Pro Surface performs woefully?

I think it's a big different between the Surface RT and Surface 3 although I have never owned one.
I ordered the Surface Pro 2 for like 1-2 years ago but returned it (mainly due to disliking Windows 8).
However, Windows 10 appeals to me, and I have always had an eye for the Surfaces.

Again, it would be interesting to know why you think that the Surface 3 is underperforming.

I have only heard good things about it. Especially for its price and what you get.
I have seen people do basic photo and video editing and playing games.
Sure, the Surface Pro is better, but that's why it's called Pro.

You should read some of the other threads here.

Windows 10 has completely ruined the Surface 3. It is laggy and glitchy and Edge is barely usable. Battery life is deadful. It is, quite frankly, the worst OS update I've ever had in any device. I know it's not a Pro. Speed is not the issue, usability is. Just this weekend there's a new glitch with the last update where my web browser stays in my background behind the start screen. Every time I use it there's something.

In my old RT, IE11 made it essentially unusable for web browsing. The funny thing is, today, that old RT runs 8.1 a heck of a lot better than the S3 runs Win 10. Sure, it's slow all-around, but it can at least switch apps and bring up the start screen immediately and fluidly. And login is not the adventure it is with the 3, which may or may not bring up my picture password or the keyboard.

Both devices are beautiful and innovate hardware utterly ruined by awful software. And not awful in design, as I really do like Windows. It just doesn't work well. Which is why I don't really care about the specs of the 4. Until they fix the software, I'm not interested.

Chris Harris1

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Going from W8.1 on the S3, which seemed like the dream of Surface RT finally realized -fast and smooth and solidly reliable -- to W10 on the S3, I do agree that its been a rocky experience transition and a downgraded user experience.

Hopefully the Surface 4 will be able to return to that with more horsepower (as I understand W10 is a resource hog compared to W8.1).

Still, I like the size and form factor too much to go to a Pro device.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am anxiously awaiting my surface 3s that I am picking up today. The surface 4 should have much more HP under the hood. I think the rest is fine!

Another cool device would be a scaled back surface book. Not an uber expensive, full blown powerhouse, but a 14" inch version maxing out at 1200 bucks and having mid range power.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I doubt there will be a surface 4.

though I wish there were, and that it were more of a premium device with a larger/faster SSD and more memory. (understood that they cannot stick a much faster chip in there and keep similar battery life).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss