The Ultimate Debate: Bill Gates or Steve Jobs?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't know where I stand on this, simply because these two individuals had such a passion for their respective jobs (hehe) and a technological prowess about them.

So I figured I'd open it up to discussion with you folks. In general, who do you think made a bigger impact on the tech industry: Steve Jobs or Bill Gates?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
And let me say why Bill Gates. He made major impacts on the tech industry, but not just that, he donates LOTS of his money and time to people and organizations that need help.

Elitis

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Bill Gates made a far bigger impact on the IT industry because underneath it all he had a true love for technology. He was the "genius programmer" who did amazing things with his skills, and arguably, created a digital empire. However, Steve Jobs was the ultimate marketer. Bill was amazing at turning his dreams in reality, but Steve was the guy who could sell that dream to anyone. They would have truly done unforeseen things together.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Bill didn't have to go to Steve for a float loan....but he did need to keep Apple viable as an alternative platform.....

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Don't care for Bill the philanthropist but Jobs was obviously better as a tech person. The guy literally changed the way we use phones, tablets and music.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Bill Gates is smarter as an engineer than Jobs was. He was actually hands on with building Microsoft's products. Steve Jobs was passionate about design and UI. Remember that Wozniak was the one who actually designed the Apple I and Apple II.

I think Microsoft was a more important company than Apple throughout the first generation of personal computing. It was Microsoft who was able to achieve the "A computer in every home" vision. Apple PCs had innovations, but never achieved a market level close to Windows.

Apple, so far, has been more influential in this current age of mobile computing. iPhone and iPad have been much more successful than Windows, and has led the game for quite a while. Even with a higher market share, Android was following Apple in design until recently when they started to push the market design.

So back to the original question, I don't think there is a clear cut definitive answer. I think you could make a good argument for either, and Apple fans would say Jobs, Microsoft users would say Gates. I hedge and say both.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can't have one without the other ! love and marriage.. bill for the better software and charity work. Steve for the hardware marketing

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Bill certainly is not overrated! HE is the one that changed the way we use technology! He is responsible for what we have today! Steve has awesome taste and knows how to sell, but he would not be anything without Bill and Woz!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
In a technological sense, I think both deserve applause. With that said, in character and personal values Gates is far above and beyond the man Jobs was.

My $.02

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Bill certainly is not overrated! HE is the one that changed the way we use technology! He is responsible for what we have today! Steve has awesome taste and knows how to sell, but he would not be anything without Bill and Woz!

How did Gates change the way we use technology? He didn't make the first GUI, he didn't make the first computer, he didn't make the first CLI, he didn't make the first OS.

sonosp

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Gates, he's an all round cool guy.
Jobs was a ****, choosing not to even acknowledge his own flesh and blood.

And the guy parked in a disabled bay, aint nobody got time for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2pretty4tv