Thinking about buying the Lumia 930

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm you should probably send it back for repairs since there is no replacement. I sent my 920 for repairs (motherboard replacent) and after that it seems to be under control. I too would like to know if white burns the screen faster than black, i can however tell you that heat will cause the screen to burn, eventually, especially if the phone is hot (where it actually hurts to touch it).

I think it's not heating up so much these few days. I try to not to play games during charging.

Though, sometimes my screen flickers. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a defect?

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it's not heating up so much these few days. I try to not to play games during charging.

Though, sometimes my screen flickers. Does anyone else experience this? Is this a defect?
Mine has occasional screen flickering as well. I think it's one of the issues with the 930. Honestly doesn't bother me at all.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I have been using my new 930 for around two weeks too. I guess I have to adapt to the text trail when scrolling because AMOLED screens are like that.

I do have heat issues too, but I can't return this device 'cause this is the last gold black 930 they have. Sometimes I turn off my mobile connection and let it cool down.

I have a question though. Will using the white background burn the screen faster than dark background?

I use the dark background but as far as I know, the only problem with the white background with amoled is that it uses more battery. Have had amoled with 5 phones and never had a screen burn in issue.
Also, I hard reset after updating to denim and that helped the heating issue a lot.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I use the dark background but as far as I know, the only problem with the white background with amoled is that it uses more battery. Have had amoled with 5 phones and never had a screen burn in issue.
Also, I hard reset after updating to denim and that helped the heating issue a lot.

I don't mind the battery usage when using white background, cos I love it. Haha. But the white on amoled does look a bit strange, doesn't it?

And do you have text trailing thing on your other amoled phones?

Although my 930 black gold ships with Denim, it still heats. I assume the heating issue was worse before Denim. Honestly this is not good also with Denim.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
For the first week my Lumia 930 got extremely hot very quickly, especially when charging. In fact playing Asphalt 8 while charging made the phone unusable. It was simply too hot to touch and hold comfortable. Despite this it has begun to settle down over the past few days and the battery life doesn't appear to drain as much. It still gets warm when gaming but not to the point where it is a concern.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Be warned that the 930 is a little over a year old, and is pretty much barely sold brand new anymore, so if you get a used model, then there is a 50/50 chance you'll be out of warranty, and both the 1520 and 930 are known for some nasty defects that if you won't be covered for if it's a used out of warranty model.. SO MANY 1520's are accumulating "ghost taps " from flexing in pockets, which indeed get worse and eventually ruin the phones experience (IMO) if you get them , and the 930 is known to get hot and recently I've seen many icons/930s accumulate an ugly green screen spot from overheating.. botg are great phones! But just consider what you may face.. the 830 is a safer buy, as it is newer and will be protected under warranty from defects
Just my 2 cents

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
As a 930 owner, it is a nice phone. I don't use it as much because here on t-mo USA, I don't get LTE. I know of at least one online seller that has them in stock for $340+$35 for shipping. This includes all 4 colors and the 2 gold edition models, and with the standard warranty. These are folks I trust as I've bought among other phones from them a white lumia 920 and a purple Z Ultra. I was going yo get my orange 930 from them too but snagged a white one from swappa at a killer price.

It is a nice phone still. The issues are well documented. As long as you're comfortable with that, it is a solid buy for a phone that's officially almost a year old.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a family member that travels quite a bit, and wanted a secondary phone to their Lumia 1520 (which they love). They didn't want to keep swapping SIMs. Aesthetics are important, and both of us think the gold versions of the 930 and 830 are stunning (so are the original options).

I decided to go ahead and recommend the gold 930, cognizant of the issues. I guess I felt comfortable having read from plenty that have no problem with the device. I have the 830 and have no qualms with it, but this person isn't the type of tech enthusiast that buys phones all the time, so I recommended the 930 as it probably will age better given the specs.

Hope they don't experience too many issues with it.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a family member that travels quite a bit, and wanted a secondary phone to their Lumia 1520 (which they love). They didn't want to keep swapping SIMs. Aesthetics are important, and both of us think the gold versions of the 930 and 830 are stunning (so are the original options).

I decided to go ahead and recommend the gold 930, cognizant of the issues. I guess I felt comfortable having read from plenty that have no problem with the device. I have the 830 and have no qualms with it, but this person isn't the type of tech enthusiast that buys phones all the time, so I recommended the 930 as it probably will age better given the specs.

Hope they don't experience too many issues with it.

I am part of the crowd that has minimal issues with my 930. I think there are a lot of us out there. You just hear more.from the people with issues. I would recommend this phone to anyone.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I have mine just a week but so far no troubles except that it becomes hot if I use it while charging. I cannot say at the moment if it will get better with time.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am part of the crowd that has minimal issues with my 930. I think there are a lot of us out there. You just hear more.from the people with issues. I would recommend this phone to anyone.

I agree. People with no issues wouldn't complain like we do. I still believe I got a not-so-well-built unit rather than the whole batch of 930 have issues.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree. People with no issues wouldn't complain like we do. I still believe I got a not-so-well-built unit rather than the whole batch of 930 have issues.

I'm not at all denying the fact that many 930s have bad hardware. Just saying I'm one of the fortunate people who got a good one. Believe me, I'm grateful. Really enjoy this phone.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Finished setting up a brand new gold/white Lumia 930 for someone. So far, excellent handset. It's early granted, but no noticeable issues so far. There is the screen-jumping thing, but that's an issue on the Lumia 1520 and 830 too (maybe others too, but I own(ed) those). Nothing but a software issue.

The phone can get warm, but nothing unbearable or different from other metal-clad chassis. Seems to get noticed more because of the awkward placement of heat-dispersion. On the 830 the heat goes to the top-left of the device. Less noticeable but it can get warm too.

Highly impressed with this device so far. I noticed that it's made in Vietnam... I wonder if there's any difference in quality between these and the ones made in China.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Just curious: is the heat not bad for the battery of a L930 in the long run?

It seems mine does no longer become as hot as the first times during charging but still it is noticeable and also with some games.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Just curious: is the heat not bad for the battery of a L930 in the long run?

It seems mine does no longer become as hot as the first times during charging but still it is noticeable and also with some games.

It's not unusal for smartphones to get hot. I think it's normal unless it becomes too much hot (uncomfortable to hold).

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
My phone still gets pungently hot if I try to play while it is plugged-in; it even feels like I could get burned but it is simply hot and it feels like this only the fist instant I touch the metal frame.

I fear this could harm my device but I am not sure if this is normal or if my phone is malfunctioning.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo