TILT: Serious Drawbacks Located

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Actually two issues have arisen:

1. Text messaging - When I open the panel for a new message and enter the address, I typically hit the "TAB" key to get to the message body panel. On my Tilt, this just scrolls the panel to the very bottom and leaves the cursor in the address line. Haven't yet found a work-around.

2. This is pretty serious to me and might cause me to send the handset back. I fly (a lot) and I depend upon the NWS ADDS web pages for weather data and radar images, etc. I discovered this AM, much to my displeasure, that the Tilt will not render the radar pages in a readable manner despite the chosen "view" setting. Now, I could view and even animate the radar pix from my old 6600 and 6700. I find it hard to believe that the Tilt cannot render this page.

I know about the issues with video drivers and the chip set, video acceleration, etc, but, come on already!! This is a serious issue for me and may indicate the end on my trial of this otherwise great handset.

Try it for yourself: Google ADDS Radar and see if you can see the national radar page. I usually view it with the "desktop" setting which entails a bit of scrolling, but it worked on older handsets. Interested in hearing your feedback.

Bob Duckworth

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Last edited:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If I were you I would still try Opera 9.5 (keeping in mind problems with it becoming your default browser and difficulty uninstalling it) as it really gives you a bit of iPhone on your Tilt.

Surur

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Here is the problem illustrated. The captures: Tilt running Opera Mobile (or IE - they look the same); XV6700 running I.E. Both ADDS Radar shots. I simply cannot get the screen resolution I need using either piece of software. Once, using I.E. after loading the I.E. 6 cab, I got good resolution (see above post) but not since that time.

Tried reloading the I.E. 6 cab - no joy.

Bob Duckworth

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That's strange. Are you sure your network is not degrading your pictures? Try it over wifi and see if it makes a difference. Also in Opera you have to double-tap to zoom in.

Surur

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
That's strange. Are you sure your network is not degrading your pictures? Try it over wifi and see if it makes a difference. Also in Opera you have to double-tap to zoom in.

Surur

I wonder also. It behaves like a progressive jpg which isn't fully loading. I'm in a fringe service area with a couple of bars indicated and EDGE data. I'll try it somewhere else and see if I can get better resolution. The Opera screen grab was zoomed. I'll give WiFi a try.

Thanks,

Bob

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Well, I gave it a try with a hot WiFi connection - no better. Interesting that Opera Mobile wouldn't even load a page on WiFi.

I HR the handset and reloaded a backup file in the hope that some bad juju had invaded one of the drivers, but again, no joy.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

jinxman

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
If I were you I would still try Opera 9.5 (keeping in mind problems with it becoming your default browser and difficulty uninstalling it) as it really gives you a bit of iPhone on your Tilt.

Surur

isnt the windows mobile version 8.65? where do you get opera 9.5? i have visited the opera website and found that opera 9.5 is a desktop browser.

and what is this talk of ie 6.1? i only find version 6.0. i suppose that ie 6.1 willl come with windows 6.1. is it downloadable?

i seem to be missing a lot of things, can somebody clarify?

coming from the palm world, this windows mobile envirinment is a bit of a jungle for me.

jinxman

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
i just did some searching, there seem to be some unofficial ei 6.1 versions flying around in the forums. what version from what source works more or less ok on the kaiser?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I wonder also. It behaves like a progressive jpg which isn't fully loading. I'm in a fringe service area with a couple of bars indicated and EDGE data. I'll try it somewhere else and see if I can get better resolution. The Opera screen grab was zoomed. I'll give WiFi a try.

Thanks,

Bob

I was able to replicate your problem, and in my case it was due to my network employing a transparent proxy to compress pictures and decrease data traffic on their network (I am on T-Mobile in UK). Its set so when you refresh the full uncompressed picture is loaded.

I dont know how your network is doing it, but try and reload the page after the first load and you may get the full page.

Surur

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
isnt the windows mobile version 8.65? where do you get opera 9.5? i have visited the opera website and found that opera 9.5 is a desktop browser.

and what is this talk of ie 6.1? i only find version 6.0. i suppose that ie 6.1 willl come with windows 6.1. is it downloadable?

i seem to be missing a lot of things, can somebody clarify?

coming from the palm world, this windows mobile envirinment is a bit of a jungle for me.

Jinxman:

See Surur's post (#2) above for links.

RMD

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I was able to replicate your problem, and in my case it was due to my network employing a transparent proxy to compress pictures and decrease data traffic on their network (I am on T-Mobile in UK). Its set so when you refresh the full uncompressed picture is loaded.

I dont know how your network is doing it, but try and reload the page after the first load and you may get the full page.

Surur

Surur:

Thanks for trying. I did try the refresh in both IE 6.1 and Opera. No luck.

Is this possible a video driver issue?

Bob

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Surur:

Thanks for trying. I did try the refresh in both IE 6.1 and Opera. No luck.

Is this possible a video driver issue?

Bob

I still think its a transparent compression proxy. When I tried to reload in Opera it made no difference, but in PIE it loaded the full image.

psnap003uy7.jpg

psnap004if4.jpg

It could be that AT&T has the compression proxy, and does not give you a way around it, while Verizon/Sprint did not have the proxy, which was why it worked on your 6700, but not on the Tilt. The last post in this thread may help you.
http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=157005&page=2

Surur

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks Surur. I'll load the "disable" cab and give it a try. I think it it a certainty that AT&T is compressing the web access. Especially on the slower 3G links.

Bob

newsflash40

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
I discovered this AM, much to my displeasure, that the Tilt will not render the radar pages in a readable manner despite the chosen "view" setting. Now, I could view and even animate the radar pix from my old 6600 and 6700. I find it hard to believe that the Tilt cannot render this page.

I noticed this on some other NWS radar images I was trying to load. Did you try changing the view setting to desktop?

I did that with the ADDS and the other images and it made a huge difference, since it appears the image is degraded in the browser rendering it in "fit to screen" view. You can't see the full national map and will have to scroll under desktop view, but that might help with what you need to see.

Changing the view from "fit to screen" to "desktop" also made a big resolution difference in the high-resolution radar images from the NWS mobile site.

rduckwor

Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I noticed this on some other NWS radar images I was trying to load. Did you try changing the view setting to desktop?

I did that with the ADDS and the other images and it made a huge difference, since it appears the image is degraded in the browser rendering it in "fit to screen" view. You can't see the full national map and will have to scroll under desktop view, but that might help with what you need to see.

Changing the view from "fit to screen" to "desktop" also made a big resolution difference in the high-resolution radar images from the NWS mobile site.

Yeah, I tried that and every trick I could think of or discover. It never worked. My Tilt went back to AT&T and I moved on.

Thanks,

RMD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler