Trying to Convert a friend from Android to 950xl

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm able to get more functionality between an android phone and an xbox one than I am with a Windows phone. Something is wrong with that.

GreenGiggy

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I used Windows Phone 8 and then W10M for the last 2 years. (Had an Icon, briefly an 950 and even more briefly a 950xl).

I have to say that in its' current state, there is no chance of conversion.

W10M has a very intuitive interface. It has the potential but some of the functions of Android are so much more user friendly.

My high level observations: W10M constantly has to be restarted either due to overheating or app crashing. My S7 never overheats, and has not yet crashed on me.

W10M does have a good video projection interface, but lacks things like decent navigation audio management (it cuts sound off to navigate, where Android lowers music volume for example).

The app store in Windows lacks professionalism. All apps look like they were made by beginners (not the case but it just looks that way). Seeing things like 6tag in place of Instagram for years just looks cheap.

Wireless continuum is great though.

But it is not enough to win over someone whose first action will be to search an app store that will be less than appealing...

MoonAir

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
I've just bought Lumia 650. W10 looks and works fantastic. Sometimes there is overheating but works fine. By the way, phone is also great.

azarc3

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Like lagging in games? Seriously? This puppy can run games both in continuum and on my phone at the same time with no lag. I'm talking asphalt 8 on my phone while I play world of tanks or anything else on continuum.

Well I am talking about CSR Racing and it has/had serious lagging issues (also on other 950XL)

Messenger reload which one? The beta? I don't seem to be affected.
Facebook, definitely has issues with posts but it's not the official app. Probably better to just use the webpage.

Another App... Whatsapp...if you want to send a video, you have to stay in the app otherwise it starts sending it over and over again....

Messenger/not the beta: Every time when I am going into the app it says syncing or connecting to the servers, sometimes for minutes (does not matter if I am on a 100MBit Line, or LTE, or different networks) even after hard reset

Also depends what version of the software you are running. I'm on redstone and while I don't suffer some of the issues you mention I do get random app crashes.

I am on : OS: 10.0.10586.318
Firmware: 01078.00038.16082.36032

It still has a long way to go and that's probably why MS is waiting for redstone 2 to release their new phone.

As I heard Microsoft has sold his Phone-department/division...so new phone is unlikely

Nearly everything you have rebutted with here has nothing to do with the hardware or OS, and everything to do with the developer of said apps. I'm not being confrontational; it's just that if they chose to implement those functions poorly that's on them, not MS. The only issue that pretty much gets on my nerves now is how inconsistent initiating a Cortana conversation/request/command is now. It used to be that I had issues one time in twenty. Now I have a successful experience one time out of four. Which IS an MS app running on Azure infrastructure. That is incredibly aggravating.

I have not heard that MS has gotten rid of their phone division, and I'm fairly close to the matter (though not an employee). They have laid off pretty much the remaining folks from the Nokia acquisition though. And they are working on a Surface Phone to be released in Q2 or Q3 2017; it just likely won't be marketed to the general consumer.

I have no problems with people liking what they like or having their own opinion... but please don't push personal opinion as "fact". Idiots in the media and armchair ignoramuses who have never used the hardware glom onto those tidbits like a person clinging to a rope at the bottom of a crevasse. And they share those "facts" with all their friends.

Rant complete, now for the helpful part: Most of the issues you are seeing (except for the WhatsApp video upload) will be solved with a factory/hard reset. I'm speaking from experience there as the same things were happening to me. Case in point, I was rebooting at least five times a day due to weird behavior. When it got to ten times an hour over the course of a week I'd had enough. Now? Only that Cortana problem. And I'm not running any Insider builds.

Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sobiyalinnd