U.S. Cellular saleswoman almost laughed at me when I said I liked WP

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
i mean it should be Windows 8 OS installed to any smartphone devices.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather not have full Windows 8 on a device so small. It just wouldn't work very well, I'd be squinting to see everything (and that defeats the Metro UI's purpose of being easy to read).

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Full windows 8 OS need powerful CPU
If I'm not mistaken.

Errr, not really. It was designed to be lightweight so it could run on tablets. It's lighter than Windows 7, and Bay Trail Intel chips can run it just fine.

Getting a phone to run Windows 8 isn't the problem. The problem is that it's not meant to run on a screen so small.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Errr, not really. It was designed to be lightweight so it could run on tablets. It's lighter than Windows 7, and Bay Trail Intel chips can run it just fine.

Getting a phone to run Windows 8 isn't the problem. The problem is that it's not meant to run on a screen so small.

At the rate phablets are going, the 8.1" Acer W3 running W8 might be considered too small to be a phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that actually made me laugh. And we have Samsung to thank for all this phablet hysteria....

I remember when everybody was ridiculing the Dell Streak and the Huawei Ideos. People were supposed to look ridiculous holding a boom box to their ear with those. So if Samsung or Apple do it, it's cool huh?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
In a store recently I held the Mega up beside a Note II. Made the Note II look small, if you can imagine that!

Mind = blown.

I can't imagine why anyone would want a device that large. I guess it's nice that Nokia is catering to that market niche with the rumored 1520, but still, I find it mind blowing as to why people desire such massive phones...

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It would appear that stores/carriers are becoming part of the issue surrounding WP take up. I know that this has been an issue but it appears that it's still going strong and the ignorance is getting worse. I think some sort of learning/training centre by MS is going to be required to get sales people more in tune with WP and I believe that maybe some better incentives for the stores when they sell WP.

I agree, I really want a job in a phone shop but I'm struggling to find any vacancies! They need to sack some of these awful salespeople!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I really want a job in a phone shop but I'm struggling to find any vacancies! They need to sack some of these awful salespeople!

I've mentioned it several times on these forums, but I'll say it again. It'd be nice if each carrier retail store had at least one person trained to push their respective OS that they were trained to push (so at least three sales people per store). That means, there'd be at least one person for iOS, at least one person for Android, and of course, at least one person for Windows Phone.

Again, they'd be trained to viciously support their own OS, so they'd be trying to win over each customer to their own OS. Obviously, each person would proudly boast all the pros of their OS, but nay-saying the cons of the others.

I feel this system would give consumers a fair view of each OS. Sure, each source would be biased for their own OS, and biased against the others, but the fact it's three of them doing the same would balance each other out. So, uneducated consumers could get an idea of each OS and all the benefits each one carries, and make an educated decision about which one would work best for them, and fit best into their life. It'd be a system of checks and balances, you know, how the American political system (is supposed to...) work.

Sadly, I don't think anything like this would happen. Carriers don't care enough about phone sales being fair, they just care it's being sold on their network. As such, they won't invest the time or money in this. A real shame, as I'd feel this would really benefit consumers. They'd get a good sense about all the three main mobile OS's (sorry Blackberry, but you're no longer relevant...), and could decide what'd best fit them and their lifestyle.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Mind = blown.

I can't imagine why anyone would want a device that large. I guess it's nice that Nokia is catering to that market niche with the rumored 1520, but still, I find it mind blowing as to why people desire such massive phones...

For me, my phone is my internet and my go everywhere computer without it having to be tablet or laptop sized. I use my phone as a PHONE probably 5% of the time, and as a camera and computer the rest of the time. But I still want something that I can carry on my person. So, back when I was shopping phones, I got the 920 because of its camera and its size, but I would totally love something even bigger. I won't move up size-wise however, until the 1020 camera gets put into a 1520 size. I'm sure it's coming.

I wouldn't care about size as much if there were still phones with physical slide out keyboards like the LG Quantum had. I would not want something iPad sized as my phone, but 6" would totally work for me. Since I use my phone for photography and images so much, a bigger screen would be great for that.

To each their own. We should be thankful WP is soon to be available in so many sizes and is already available in so many camera options! For me, I don't want to lug around something huge (tablet) and a phone together, so a huge phone would be perfect. I can totally see people not wanting a large phone, especially if you talk on it a lot... I can only say, don't buy one. No need to knock other people's wants. There's plenty of small and medium WPs, so why not have large ones as well?

I'm certainly not trying to stir up the tank (because I generally love reading SwimSwim's board posts), but just giving my own little example of why I would love a bigger phone. I just don't get it when people wonder why, as though it's wrong to want something like a big phone or a physical keyboard (I see that a lot too). Who cares why?? Some people just want those things, just some like some people really want Instagram or feel they need NFC. Again, we should be thankful Nokia/MS is trying to cater to so many different desires. The alternative is potential customers going to Samsung/Android!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, my phone is my internet and my go everywhere computer without it having to be tablet or laptop sized. I use my phone as a PHONE probably 5% of the time, and as a camera and computer the rest of the time. But I still want something that I can carry on my person. So, back when I was shopping phones, I got the 920 because of its camera and its size, but I would totally love something even bigger. I won't move up size-wise however, until the 1020 camera gets put into a 1520 size. I'm sure it's coming.

I wouldn't care about size as much if there were still phones with physical slide out keyboards like the LG Quantum had. I would not want something iPad sized as my phone, but 6" would totally work for me. Since I use my phone for photography and images so much, a bigger screen would be great for that.

To each their own. We should be thankful WP is soon to be available in so many sizes and is already available in so many camera options! For me, I don't want to lug around something huge (tablet) and a phone together, so a huge phone would be perfect. I can totally see people not wanting a large phone, especially if you talk on it a lot... I can only say, don't buy one. No need to knock other people's wants. There's plenty of small and medium WPs, so why not have large ones as well?

I'm certainly not trying to stir up the tank (because I generally love reading SwimSwim's board posts), but just giving my own little example of why I would love a bigger phone. I just don't get it when people wonder why, as though it's wrong to want something like a big phone or a physical keyboard (I see that a lot too). Who cares why?? Some people just want those things, just some like some people really want Instagram or feel they need NFC. Again, we should be thankful Nokia/MS is trying to cater to so many different desires. The alternative is potential customers going to Samsung/Android!

Nothing wrong with wanting a big phone and much less wanting a physical keyboard. I've always said my 2 favorite Windows Phones were the Dell Venue Pro and the Quantum. If the LG had a 4.3" screen it would be perfect for me. If the Dell had a usable camera, even better. As far as options, I agree that WP has more options than even Android. Before the flaming begins I'd like to point out that low-end Androids don't count in my book because even the best of that bunch can't hold a candle to the L521/520.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the same reaction lol. I didn't care if she didn't like my phone but i was stuck there thinking "is she really trying to tell me that a phone that I like sucks? Isn't that the opposite of a salesperson?"

Idk I guess Forrest Gump was right "stupid is as stupid does"

When I was in the Bahamas, a guy trying to sell me a timeshare there had as his strategy to completely trash talk my home town. I guess he was trying to make me think that I would just LOVE to spend all my time traveling instead or something, but seriously, the idea that saying that what you currently have is **** in order to get you to buy something new has to be the worst strategy ever.

As an aside, that's why I don't really think the current "Samsung vs iPhone fight" Nokia commercials that are playing a lot on TV right now are as effective as Nokia would like. Nobody wants to be told they're stupid.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Here here. One thing I love about Windows Phone, you get the same streamlined user experience as iOS, yet the device selection of Android. No need to worry about fragmentation or each phone having its own UI, but you still have a wide variety of devices to pick from. I personally don't want anything that massive, but again, it's awesome Nokia is catering to those who do. For every niche Nokia fills, it just means more market opportunity for them. It worked for Samsung, didn't it?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When I was in the Bahamas, a guy trying to sell me a timeshare there had as his strategy to completely trash talk my home town. I guess he was trying to make me think that I would just LOVE to spend all my time traveling instead or something, but seriously, the idea that saying that what you currently have is **** in order to get you to buy something new has to be the worst strategy ever.

As an aside, that's why I don't really think the current "Samsung vs iPhone fight" Nokia commercials that are playing a lot on TV right now are as effective as Nokia would like. Nobody wants to be told they're stupid.

Not so fast, I've been in Newark and Camden. That sales strategy would be spot-on.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Thought of this thread when I saw the advertisements in my web search on the words "Windows Phone"...
You search for Windows Phone and US Cellular will advertise Android to you! Classic! That is one good thing about AT&T (as much as we like to complain about them) is that at least they have a roster of several Windows Phones to choose from rather than just one or two... on their site, they currently have 3 or 4 Nokias and an HTC, and soon to add Samsung I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo