Unable to attach Phone as USB Drive

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 on build 14393.187 and noticed that I am unable to connect it to my PC which is also running Windows 10. ie I am unable to access my SD Card to offload photos and video.

If I look under Device Manager on my PC under Other Devices I can see the following error:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I also tried to search for a driver without success.

I have rebooted both the phone and the PC to no avail. Anyone else having this problem?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
might not be the problem, but make sure you are not on your lockscreen...
that is, unlock your phone and get to the homescreen/start screen and see if that helps...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
might not be the problem, but make sure you are not on your lockscreen...
that is, unlock your phone and get to the homescreen/start screen and see if that helps...
Nope I always unlock my phone to use it :)

It's annoying as I took a 10 minute video last night. With Photos I would normally just let it sync to Onedrive, but since the video is large and OneDrive seems to only upload at dialup speed regardless of whatever network I am on, that wasn't an option. Of course I could just crack my phone out of it's case and disassemble it but that's unnecessary hassle and wear and tear when it's easier just to mount it as drive!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try this...

Download and extract USBDeview Inside the folder > right click the exe > run as admin

Delete all drivers marked Nokia or Lumia >plug the device into USB and let a fresh set of drivers install.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I had first tried removing the device from "Devices and Printers" and even uninstalling from Portable Devices in Device Manager. Didn't work for my Windows 10 Mobile phone or my Wife's Phone.

I then tried the utility suggested by RumoredNow. No Dice with that either.

After googling around, I found a solution that worked for me. In C:\Windows\INF I right clicked on wpdmtp.inf and selected install from the menu. All is now working. I had to do that twice ie first for my wife's phone then again when I connected mine.

The Lumia device under Portable Devices in Device Manager no longer has a Triangle and the icon under Devices and Printers now shows a Lumia Phone Icon. I can now view the contents of my phone :)

On a different note a friend just bought a Cricket Lumia 640 to play with from Target. He will be using it on Wifi only so no need to unlock. He just wants to play with the development of a UWP application to use with IOT on a Raspberry Pi.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to check I removed the Lumia from "Devices and Printers" and then reconnected to reinstall the driver. Same problem, I had to reinstall the wpdmtp.inf in C:\Windows\INF. I guess my desktop version of Windows 10 has a bug. At least as far as our Lumias anyway.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
reboot your device when it is connected to your PC, that way your pc will install default drivers all over again.
Nope did all that. Like I say, the only way I get it to work is to install that INF file directly. It may be because that PC is still on build 1511. I had the same problem with both Lumia's ie the 8.1 and W10M one. If I remove the device to uninstall the driver it will indeed reinstall the driver, but once completed it will still not work ie has the yellow triangle. I then have to manually install the INF file as detailed above.

Swiss7599

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had first tried removing the device from "Devices and Printers" and even uninstalling from Portable Devices in Device Manager. Didn't work for my Windows 10 Mobile phone or my Wife's Phone.

I then tried the utility suggested by RumoredNow. No Dice with that either.

After googling around, I found a solution that worked for me. In C:\Windows\INF I right clicked on wpdmtp.inf and selected install from the menu. All is now working. I had to do that twice ie first for my wife's phone then again when I connected mine.

The Lumia device under Portable Devices in Device Manager no longer has a Triangle and the icon under Devices and Printers now shows a Lumia Phone Icon. I can now view the contents of my phone :)

On a different note a friend just bought a Cricket Lumia 640 to play with from Target. He will be using it on Wifi only so no need to unlock. He just wants to play with the development of a UWP application to use with IOT on a Raspberry Pi.

Had the exact same issue and this worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch!

wobailey

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
THANKS FOR THE WPDMTP.INF INSTALL INFO... THAT WAS THE FIX FOR ME. Had just updated my 640XL to Window 10 Mobile and could not get it to discover on USB.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip