Unbranded Handset

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

Does any one know if I was to buy an sim only handset would it work on carries with 4g, the only reason I ask is I have seen reports that you need an update from the carrier that enables 4g in order to use this service, would this be the case with an unbranded handset and would I receive the update?

Cheers

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I do believe that you have to have a 4G contract, therefore if you have a 3G contract at the moment and wish to upgrade you will need new sim, of course transferring your existing number to new sim.

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I do believe that you have to have a 4G contract, therefore if you have a 3G contract at the moment and wish to upgrade you will need new sim, of course transferring your existing number to new sim.

Thanks for the update, so having a 4g handset will still work as long as you have a 4g sim

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well lets get some things straight...4G LTE and faux-G HSPA+ are not the same.

If you want real 4G LTE you will need a phone that supports ATT or T-Mos LTE bands. You would then be very limited to who you could go with to get LTE, you can go with T-Mo prepaid or ATT GoPhone prepaid. They are the only options for real 4G LTE. Everyone else is faux-G which is really just 3G. SIM has no bearing on it, whoever's service you go with will give you the SIM necessary for the service they sell.

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
well lets get some things straight...4G LTE and faux-G HSPA+ are not the same.

If you want real 4G LTE you will need a phone that supports ATT or T-Mos LTE bands. You would then be very limited to who you could go with to get LTE, you can go with T-Mo prepaid or ATT GoPhone prepaid. They are the only options for real 4G LTE. Everyone else is faux-G which is really just 3G. SIM has no bearing on it, whoever's service you go with will give you the SIM necessary for the service they sell.
This is for networks in the uk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo