Unlocked Lumia 640 LTE for $59 with 2 year no deductible) accident insurance for $9

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't visit the 640 forum much so if this is a re-post, I ask a moderator to delete it.

I have given several 640s as gifts and saw that AT&T has dropped the price to $59 for the Lumia 640 GoPhone.

If you aren't aware, AT&T will unlock an AT&T phone for non-AT&T customers. I think it has something to do with complaints from people who bought used phones and got burned. Anyway, if you aren't a current or recent AT&T customer and the phone isn't on an AT&T contract, you can get an unlock code without even opening the box since the IMEI is printed on the box. You do need to check the box that you are NOT an AT&T customer on the request form. Here is a link to request an unlock code: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Y-_LJs6mBKcjh1U0y8t4rDlQ%23%2F&token=PM5Psybb Yes, the first page does say a GoPhone has to have been in use for 6 months but apparently that does not apply to non-AT&T customers and GoPhones that have never been activated.

I have always received the code via email within 24 hours of the request. I don't know if AT&T intends it work this way or might change the policy. If it was a govt reg that caused them to do this, they might not be able to change it. Since the phones themselves are not branded as GoPhones, it woud not be reasonable for a buyer of a used phone to know if it was a GoPhone or not.

I always wait until I get the unlock code before opening the box or giving the phone as a gift so I can return it if the request gets rejected.

And if you think you might damage your phone, if you buy it at Walmart.com you can get 24 months of zero deductible and transferable insurance for $9. Might be worth checking the in-store price for the insurance at time of purchase. Sometime its higher, sometimes its lower.

While the phones can be used on any GSM carrier once unlocked, OS and firmware updates will come thru AT&T by default. That may mean delays or even no updates in the future. But the Insider program bypasses the carrier, so as long as that program is available, you will be able to get updates regardless of what AT&T does.

Someone posted that T-Mobile WiFi calling will work on any 640 LTE. I have my doubts but will know later today if true since I am giving one of these to a T-Mobile customer. I'll post what I find.

LumiaGuy

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Someone posted that T-Mobile WiFi calling will work on any 640 LTE. I have my doubts but will know later today if true since I am giving one of these to a T-Mobile customer. I'll post what I find.

Will not work from what I have heard. Wi-Fi calling is not supported by the Firmware/ROM on the AT&T variant Lumia 640's.

Jonah Travisano

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
.... Yes it works fine to unlock a 640...just check the box that says a non-att customer ... I just bought a 640 from the Microsoft online store and filled out the ATT form and I:winktongue: got my unlock code in less then 24 hours.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
.... Yes it works fine to unlock a 640...just check the box that says a non-att customer ... I just bought a 640 from the Microsoft online store and filled out the ATT form and I:winktongue: got my unlock code in less then 24 hours.
LumiaGuy was saying WiFi calling wouldn't work, not that unlocking wouldn't work.

And I haven't confirmed that yet. I thought I was giving someone the phone a few days ago but probably won't do that now until maybe Wednesday.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered one from the Microsoft Store! It'll be my first ever Windows phone, and I wanted to check it out!!! Loving my new Surface Pro 4 as well!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It is truly remarkable that you can buy that phone for that price. That is a lot of device for that money.
A great bargain for sure.

Not quite as good as when it was $79 and came with a year of Office 365 that retails for $70 making the phone $10 for someone who was going to pay $70 for Office anyway, but still very good. If AT&T had reduced the price before the Office 365 promotion ended, it would have been like getting paid to buy the phone! I'd be giving them to people I don't like!

Last edited:

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Probably true. I guess I already have the subscription, and have Office installed on a whole bunch of tablets and computers in the family.

Thanks for the heads up. If anyone is thinking of trying windows phone, that is a capable phone for that price.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. If anyone is thinking of trying windows phone, that is a capable phone for that price.
For sure. B&H (who sells the 950XL for less than the Microsoft store) sells dual SIM unlocked 640 LTEs for $194. So $135 LESS for just one SIM (and AT&T update gatekeeper) is an absolute steal.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered one from the Microsoft Store! It'll be my first ever Windows phone, and I wanted to check it out!!! Loving my new Surface Pro 4 as well!

Congrats - I am going to buy one to use as a backup. I think I'll leave the box sealed, unlock it, and sit on it if I need it, and if not, then sell.

The 640 has the same screen and processor as the 830, which costs 4 times as much. I think this is truly a bargain, and at $60, even if you hate Windows Phone, you're not too deep into it.

I too bought a Surface, loved it, then decided to get a Windows Phone after using the surface (was using a Samsung Galaxy at the time).

If you're using W10 on the Surface, you can go Windows Insider and install W10 on the phone too, if that's what you're used to.

Let us know what you think once you get to test it a bit!

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Congrats - I am going to buy one to use as a backup. I think I'll leave the box sealed, unlock it, and sit on it if I need it, and if not, then sell.

The 640 has the same screen and processor as the 830, which costs 4 times as much. I think this is truly a bargain, and at $60, even if you hate Windows Phone, you're not too deep into it.

I too bought a Surface, loved it, then decided to get a Windows Phone after using the surface (was using a Samsung Galaxy at the time).

If you're using W10 on the Surface, you can go Windows Insider and install W10 on the phone too, if that's what you're used to.

Let us know what you think once you get to test it a bit!

Will definitely do. Been a longtime iPhone user, have had every single one and currently using a 6S Plus. But the Surface Pro is such an awesome machine that I thought $60 was an awesome way to check out what Windows Phone can do / is. Having never used one, I can say I'm super curious. I'm even eying the 950 & 950 XL. There's not a snowball's chance in hell my wife lets me get one, but I've still got my eye on them!!

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Will definitely do. Been a longtime iPhone user, have had every single one and currently using a 6S Plus. But the Surface Pro is such an awesome machine that I thought $60 was an awesome way to check out what Windows Phone can do / is. Having never used one, I can say I'm super curious. I'm even eying the 950 & 950 XL. There's not a snowball's chance in hell my wife lets me get one, but I've still got my eye on them!!

I personally think you will like it. While there is not as large of a selection of apps (and yes some major ones are not there), I have found that I really do not miss my android too much. Windows 10 is a beauty on this phone and I think once it is polished for final release you will be impressed. With the app store now being universal across Windows 10 devices and the effort of Microsoft to ease development for their platforms, I think the apps will take off. Perhaps then your significant other can be convinced.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Got it in and all set up. Already have my unlock code coming. So far, nearly all the apps I used daily on my iPhone are here, so that's a big relief. If things keep up, I will definitely be using this daily until I can order the 950 XL. Really enjoying the Windows Phone experience so far!!!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I completely forgot to check T-Mobile WiFi calling with the GoPhone I gave as a gift. Next time I see them, I'll try to remember to check that.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Got it in and all set up. Already have my unlock code coming. So far, nearly all the apps I used daily on my iPhone are here, so that's a big relief. If things keep up, I will definitely be using this daily until I can order the 950 XL. Really enjoying the Windows Phone experience so far!!!
Don't know what model iPhone you have but I know two people who replaced iPhone 5s (s = plural not model) with these and like these better. Of course different people have different app and camera needs. And I doubt many people who were never exposed to either would choose iOS over Windows. OS wise, iOS vs Windows isn't a Chevy vs Ford type comparison its more like a Chevy vs Bentley.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Don't know what model iPhone you have but I know two people who replaced iPhone 5s (s = plural not model) with these and like these better. Of course different people have different app and camera needs. And I doubt many people who were never exposed to either would choose iOS over Windows. OS wise, iOS vs Windows isn't a Chevy vs Ford type comparison its more like a Chevy vs Bentley.

I'm using the 6S Plus. I have to say that Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 4 really made me take a look at Windows Phones, I never truly paid them any attention before. I even installed the latest Windows 10 mobile on my 640. I know it's new, but really enjoying it so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yenofenny