Unlocking vs ROM flashing - question

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all

I have a Lumia 1020 on Three, the UK network. I am seriously considering flashing the ROM with generic, unbranded international firmware, partly to remove the networking branding and partly to access the presumably now imminent black/ GDR3 update more quickly. I understand such flashing the 1020 is quite possible using the latest version of Nokia suite. My question is - do I need to unlock the phone as well, separately, or does flashing the ROM also unlock a phone from the network? Also, am I right in thinking a ROM flash would mean I was no longer dependent on Three for the update?
Information gratefully received :excited:

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
To answer you first question - ROM flashing and carrier unlocking are completely separate. If you flash your ROM, no matter what firmware you use, the phone will still be carrier locked to whatever carrier you use. Likewise, you ROM will remain the same regardless of whether you carrier unlock your device.

There are two possibilities, but not sure:
1: Because flashing does not actually change your product code, you will continue to only receive updates that were originally designed for your device. However, you may continue to update your phone manually using the same flashing process.
2: You will continue to receive updates for the carrier that you flashed to. For example, if you were to flash to the ATT ROM, you would begin only receiving updates from the ATT ROM.

NOTE: I do not recommend using the ATT ROM as that may render you unable to reflash your device. It has been reported that it is not possible to flash from an ATT ROM, but also to an ATT ROM, so it may not even be possible.

Campater

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
To answer you first question - ROM flashing and carrier unlocking are completely separate. If you flash your ROM, no matter what firmware you use, the phone will still be carrier locked to whatever carrier you use. Likewise, you ROM will remain the same regardless of whether you carrier unlock your device.

There are two possibilities, but not sure:
1: Because flashing does not actually change your product code, you will continue to only receive updates that were originally designed for your device. However, you may continue to update your phone manually using the same flashing process.
2: You will continue to receive updates for the carrier that you flashed to. For example, if you were to flash to the ATT ROM, you would begin only receiving updates from the ATT ROM.

NOTE: I do not recommend using the ATT ROM as that may render you unable to reflash your device. It has been reported that it is not possible to flash from an ATT ROM, but also to an ATT ROM, so it may not even be possible.

Thanks for the information. It sounds from what you're saying as if flashing the ROM won't actually make much difference to the situation when it comes to updates, and a factory unlocked model is what I will need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb