Update on my 2.5 year old Lumia 920.

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I came here to post and interestingly found a post which details his experience of two years.... below is what I am currently experiencing and my thoughts about Windows Phone OS in general.

Issues that I am dealing with on my Lumia 920 (AT&T, Windows 8.1 {8.10-12393.890}, using since Dec 2012.)

BIGGEST ISSUES.
The phone app is not updating the voice messages, couple of times when I restarted my phone the voice messaged updated, sometimes these were from 4-5 days prior. Many a times when I get a call from a saved contact I only see the phone number but not the name.

The messaging app (SMS) lags; messages are delivered with a significant delay. Also when I am send a text, the phone freezes when its ?sending? the text, if I intermittently touch the screen to ensure the phone does not get locked then message is eventually sent (roughly 20-30 sec wait time) and I can then resume my conversation. If I forget to touch the screen the phone auto locks and the message is never delivered.

The default email (I have Gmail via that) application does not sync incoming emails as they arrive. I have it set to where it should be downloaded when they arrive. If when I send a test email and open up the app it says, email last synced X mins ago and then I have to physically sync it and this too sometimes times out.

If I try to save a photo from texting app it does not get saved. The app tries to save the photo but eventually either times out or crashes and the photo is never saved. I have tired doing this multiple times and am yet to save the photo. I recall being able to do it earlier but off late this seems to be not working.

The camera takes forever to launch; my wife uses an iPhone 5s and friends use either latest Apple or android products? Many a times they take out their phone, take picture and put the phone back in their pocket and my camera app is still launching!!!

Here maps do not specify if the destination is on the right or left. I think if you are full blown navigation app the least that someone can expect is letting the user know where the destination is. Google maps has and still is a champ in this category, have been using waze lately and impressed by those guys too.

RANT
I had bought the phone believing Microsoft would be delivering a product capable of competing with the android?s and iOS's of the world but sadly that?s not happened at all. I know there are a lot of people who are staunch supporters but I have not seen any significant jump from the OS standpoint. I am no expert; my statement comes from the standpoint of an average user.
The app store still lags, it?s like Windows OS is always last on the list for everything and I can understand that since the market share is at roughly 3%. I am not a big gamer but I do like to play the latest games from time to time and this case as well Windows phone get the games when the hype has died down. I remember reading about ?Candy Crush? being available in store but by that time people had already moved to other games or their new variant ?Candy Crush Soda?. Same is the case with 8 Ball Pool, I figure this is one of the top games today but again not available on windows phone.

I bank with Bank of America and Chase, apps for both are no longer available in the app store, which restricts me in a major way.

All in all I do not see anything positive that can push me to stay with Windows OS. The last straw would be Windows10 but my hopes are low, at least for the phone side of it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your post. Your opinion is your opinion and you have every right to have it.
The only thing I can advice is to see if W10 will bring improvements you hope for, if not changes to an OS which satisfies you needs.

Good luck

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Harrie-S
I appreciate your reply back, any feedback on the issues I am facing? Is expecting phone, email, texting and camera app to work flawlessly unreasonable?

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Harrie-S
I appreciate your reply back, any feedback on the issues I am facing? Is expecting phone, email, texting and camera app to work flawlessly unreasonable?

Thanks!

No its not unreasonable at all, I too, have an ATT 920 (although it appears i'll be retiring it soon) which is almost 2 years old and suffers none of those problems.

I would suggest a hard reset if you haven't done so in a while, that might help. Using the Preview for Developers might be a nice thing to try if you want the latest 8.1 Update 1 update.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure my opinion is much use as I am a UK 920 user.

My 920 suffers no such issues. I an on the preview for developers, and it even says that I have denim.

I have tried W10 twice, most recently for a week, just rolled back to 8.1. Works well.

My one complaint is the screen is starting to yellow at the top, but it is only noticeable on all white screens.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your post. Your opinion is your opinion and you have every right to have it.
The only thing I can advice is to see if W10 will bring improvements you hope for, if not changes to an OS which satisfies you needs.

Good luck

If AT&T has anything to do with their 920 customers getting W10 we will never get it.

And Aadesh I've had my 920 since April 2012 it still works and looks like it did on day one.

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No its not unreasonable at all, I too, have an ATT 920 (although it appears i'll be retiring it soon) which is almost 2 years old and suffers none of those problems.

I would suggest a hard reset if you haven't done so in a while, that might help. Using the Preview for Developers might be a nice thing to try if you want the latest 8.1 Update 1 update.

Thanks for your reply back xandros9, can you let me know how to backup my phone so that I can hard reset it and then load everything (apps, photos, contacts etc).

Thanks,
Aadesh.

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure my opinion is much use as I am a UK 920 user.

My 920 suffers no such issues. I an on the preview for developers, and it even says that I have denim.

I have tried W10 twice, most recently for a week, just rolled back to 8.1. Works well.

My one complaint is the screen is starting to yellow at the top, but it is only noticeable on all white screens.

peachy001, glad that it's working good for you, not sure what's issue is with mine, as xandros9 suggested maybe a hard reset would help.

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If AT&T has anything to do with their 920 customers getting W10 we will never get it.

And Aadesh I've had my 920 since April 2012 it still works and looks like it did on day one.

Tom, I know that is a possibility but right now I have to enure my 8.1 at least works half as well as it is for you guys.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gandhi.

I have Lumia 920 and it's an International Variant. I'm found that your issues didn't happend on mine. I would suggest you to do hard reset. And if the problem still there try flashing your devices with nokia software recovery tools

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply back xandros9, can you let me know how to backup my phone so that I can hard reset it and then load everything (apps, photos, contacts etc).

Thanks,
Aadesh.

If you have OneDrive backup turned on, photos should be backed up already, check your settings. Otherwise hook the phone up to a PC and copy the stuff over manually.

App data will generally be lost with few exceptions. Game data is usually toast too. It's not as bad as it sounds. (except for the game data part)

Contacts should already be synced with Outlook.com or your web service of choice. I'd go to settings > backup and make sure the phone is backed up. When you hard reset the phone, you'll be able to restore from that backup. (or start fresh)

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
When you hard reset the phone, you'll be able to restore from that backup. (or start fresh)
xandros9's suggestions are all excellent. However, given the level of trouble that you've described here, I would urge you to start fresh and not use any backups to restore your phone. Doing so could put you back into the same condition that you're in now. It would probably be better for you to use the Store to download the apps that are most important for your day-to-day use and go forward from there. If it seems that this is unbearable, you can always hard reset again and then choose a backup to restore from.

EDIT: As a further note: You can also download the Windows Phone desktop companion app from here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

That app will let you sync your music, photos and videos from your phone to your PC and back, as needed.

Aadesh Gandhi

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
xandros9, So I did backed up my phone and did a restore using that, I dint want to start completely afresh. The performance has improved but the biggest setup back is that all data from whatsapp was wiped out. For photos and contacts I had them exports out just in case and assumed that since it's a back-up the OS might have a way to restore whatsapp. Anyway to get back the whatsapp data or is it gone for good?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb