Upgrade to 8.1 or wait for 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So our family PC is in need of a OS upgrade and I can't decide wether to get 8.1 or wait for 9 to be released? When is 9 expected to be released? We're coming from windows 7.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Windows 9 is due for next year. If you are fine with windows 7 then you can wait else if you want the latest OS from Microsoft , love live tiles then go for windows 8.1.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with keeping Windows 7. If you want to upgrade though Windows 8.1 update 1 is significantly better than Windows 8 and the speed and security of W8.1.1 is far better than Windows 7 in my opinion.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 7 is still very solid.

There isnt too much on the 9 front, so I would go ahead and upgrade, but waiting shouldnt hurt.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What's up with this trend of waiting for 'the next version' which are usually not even announced yet?

Perhaps your PC is just fine, it's just in need of a clean install, and if you're happy with W7, you can keep that, though 8.1 will probably run better on it. You can wait for 9, but I suggest you clean install 7 first, if you feel it's running sluggish. Family computers are usually the most filth filled because everyone downloads something and set things their own way etc.

What are the specs of the computer?
If you feel like you could give it a performance boost, get an SSD for it and install system on it. You can get 120GB for way less then 100$ nowadays.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
We'll, the thing is I don't think our version of windows is legit. Like , we got the computer through a family members work, and I think the copy of windows 7 was a copy. So now it's saying it's not genuine and I'm worried we won't be getting proper security and function. So I'm talking my parents into buying a new version.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We'll, the thing is I don't think our version of windows is legit. Like , we got the computer through a family members work, and I think the copy of windows 7 was a copy. So now it's saying it's not genuine and I'm worried we won't be getting proper security and function. So I'm talking my parents into buying a new version.

my sister once started getting those kinds of alerts, but it signified a broken Windows install, since I know it had a legitimate key.
Can you confirm the key is legit or not? Is it on a sticker?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If you look on the back of it or inside the side door look for a windows sticker. It should say the version of windows that came with it and the authentication code I believe. If you find that code you should be able to use it to authenticate your copy of windows.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Where would I find that? On the side of the PC casing? We didn't get a box for windows 7 or anything, it was preinstalled on the computer. Whether or not it was a copy or legit version I have no clue.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
my sister once started getting those kinds of alerts, but it signified a broken Windows install, since I know it had a legitimate key.
Can you confirm the key is legit or not? Is it on a sticker?

I don't know how to confirm if its legit or not and I'm unsure where that key would be.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Where would I find that? On the side of the PC casing? We didn't get a box for windows 7 or anything, it was preinstalled on the computer. Whether or not it was a copy or legit version I have no clue.

Yes, typically its on the back of the PC. If you don't find it there open up the side door of the desktop and look on the inside of that. If its a laptop it will be on the bottom.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, typically its on the back of the PC. If you don't find it there open up the side door of the desktop and look on the inside of that. If its a laptop it will be on the bottom.

OK, so after doing some research and rembering some things this is what happened:

The copy of windows 7 we have on the PC is a copy and not a "real" copy. A guy from my grandpas work put it on our and my brothers computers. The family computer we have originally ran vista, and if I remember correctly when we sent the pc to that guy for repair he installed windows 7 on the machine. So, I don't have a license key. Considering this version of windows isn't a bought copy, I'm thinking I'm not going to get proper performance or support, right? I'm thinking we should just go out and buy 8.1 for stability and security reasons.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
OK, so after doing some research and remembering some things this is what happened:

The copy of windows 7 we have on the PC is a copy and not a "real" copy. A guy from my grandpas work put it on our and my brothers computers. The family computer we have originally ran vista, and if I remember correctly when we sent the PC to that guy for repair he installed windows 7 on the machine. So, I don't have a license key. Considering this version of windows isn't a bought copy, I'm thinking I'm not going to get proper performance or support, right? I'm thinking we should just go out and buy 8.1 for stability and security reasons.

You will do well to do the right thing and purchase a valid copy of Windows or buy a license for your current OS from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo