Using Bing on Android as default search?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably late to the party but has anybody else tried Bing as a default search engine on Android?

I'm giving it a chance this week, for the first time really, and it's surprising really good. Using UI is nice, searching results are good, and I love the camera option too. Pleasantly surprised.

Anybody else using it regularly? Experiences?

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Morning :)

I've been using it on my Android device since last December. It's really good.

Mostly what I like is that it's not as advert intensive and geared toward trying to sell you stuff as Google is.

Google is many things, some good and some bad, but they're first and foremost a marketing company, and the way they generate search results is very much based on whose paying them the most.

Don't get me wrong, Bing still pushes adverts and prioritises some results based on sponsored pages, but not nearly as much as Google.

Bing's push is to be an information repository. Microsoft use bing as the information database for machine learning and artificial intelligence. This focus goes back years, to before Cortana. Microsoft developed machine learning called Satori, using Bing as the information base.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-bing-seeks-enlightenment-with-satori/

Google is a billboard, and search results will always be based on the size of the cheque.

Bing and Edge work really well on android together.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Morning :)

I've been using it on my Android device since last December. It's really good.

Mostly what I like is that it's not as advert intensive and geared toward trying to sell you stuff as Google is.

Google is many things, some good and some bad, but they're first and foremost a marketing company, and the way they generate search results is very much based on whose paying them the most.

Don't get me wrong, Bing still pushes adverts and prioritises some results based on sponsored pages, but not nearly as much as Google.

Bing's push is to be an information repository. Microsoft use bing as the information database for machine learning and artificial intelligence. This focus goes back years, to before Cortana. Microsoft developed machine learning called Satori, using Bing as the information base.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-bing-seeks-enlightenment-with-satori/

Google is a billboard, and search results will always be based on the size of the cheque.

Bing and Edge work really well on android together.

I work at a Microsoft Gold Partner company. One of our salesman is a Microsoft fan to the point that would make most of you here look indifferent by comparison. :amaze: He still uses a Windows phone.

Just a few days ago, he said that he does not like AI's infiltration into our personal lives. He said that he prefers to stick with Microsoft, but that he does not think that their intentions are any better than Google. He says that the only reason Microsoft is not at the level of Google is simply because they are not as good at it.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I switched from WM back to Android about 6 months ago and made Bing the default search shortly after making the switch. Haven't had any desire to change it back to Google.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I work at a Microsoft Gold Partner company. One of our salesman is a Microsoft fan to the point that would make most of you here look indifferent by comparison. :amaze: He still uses a Windows phone.

Just a few days ago, he said that he does not like AI's infiltration into our personal lives. He said that he prefers to stick with Microsoft, but that he does not think that their intentions are any better than Google. He says that the only reason Microsoft is not at the level of Google is simply because they are not as good at it.

No doubt. The reality is that Microsoft can afford to play the "holier than thou" card because they aren't in a position to charge the world what Google does to leverage advertising and marketing strategies using thier search engine. But if Bing ever got as big as Google, I'm pretty sure they'd be flogging it as hard as Google.

On the whole question of AI, I agree, but like most of us, I can't help but want to go along with it, just because the journey is so darn interesting.

We're letting AI seep into our lives through our phones, tablets, laptops, cars and everything else that connects to the web. We all kinda know it could end badly for us, but we're soooooo committed to every shiny new device that comes out that we can't help ourselves.

Let's face it, if Microsoft ever do launch Andromeda, and it's half as awesome as the renders and patents make it out to be, they could turn that thing into a full blown, artifically intelligent spy device that only exists to listen in our every conversation and record our every movement, and we'd still buy it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon