Using Cortana with Ford Sync

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine gives me song titles and artists when playing from my phone. Not sure what other improvements there are.

Do you have the MFT? I just have regular Sync and I wish I could see song Artists and Titles. I did get a chance to play around with it more yesterday. This time it worked, but was initially disconcerting because when I activate her, Sync acts like I'm taking a call. I was like "WTF?" and ended it, but then realized that may be how I can communicate with my phone (I don't normally get texts while driving, so I've never seen that in action either). After a pause, she's available to hear me and properly respond over the speakers. First time I had tried this, she couldn't hear me. Don't know what changed.

Etyrnus, you say your music syncs with your car? I can only play music over Bluetooth, and as I mentioned, it doesn't show me any information.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You do know you have to update sync manually right? It takes a USB drive with the file on it, Ford actually has a guide on their website showing how to do it

Normally you can update sync manually. I've done that a few times myself, but they came out with an update that won't let me.. it says my dealer has to do it. I have not checked lately if that is still the case or not. I have a Gen1 sync in a Taurus.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to activate Cortana without hitting it on your phone? Probably not, but figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something :)

Sequel2k

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to have location-based reminders over Bluetooth? Like if you have a reminder set for when you arrive at work, have Cortana speak it as you are pulling in? I have missed reminders by not looking at my phone after getting out of my car.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to have location-based reminders over Bluetooth? Like if you have a reminder set for when you arrive at work, have Cortana speak it as you are pulling in? I have missed reminders by not looking at my phone after getting out of my car.

What I have seen is that you will only hear reminders if 1) you are connected to Bluetooth Audio when your phone is connected to Sync or 2) you have Bluetooth turned off and not connected to Sync. In the first case, you hear it over the car speakers, and the second is through the phone's speaker. I have not seen the phone interrupt, like it would for an incoming phone call, and play the reminder.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to activate Cortana without hitting it on your phone? Probably not, but figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something :)

I can hold down the phone button on the steering wheel on my 2013 Explorer Sport and active Cortana. Same with my bluetooth headset.

***UPDATE***
I tried it again and it didn't work. I'm not sure what changed or if I was hallucinating (double bad since I was behind the wheel) but it doesn't seem to activate.

Last edited:

Splacknuk

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That was my problem yesterday. I was in my wife's 2013 Escape, and wanted to use Cortana. She played nice thru bluetooth as long as I pressed the button on the phone. I could not get her to engage through any of the steering wheel controls or voice commands.

mulrichjr

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a 2013 Focus Titanium with MFT, I just pull the sync paddle and say "call Cortana" and then the phone responds with the Cortana listening prompt. I don't have Cortana in my address book nor did I enable any other settings. I just figured the car normally treats talking to Cortana as a phone call, maybe it would work and it does. The phone never leaves my pocket.

Mikefg1957

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
When I call Cortana to ask questions or directions she hangs up after a few seconds. I need to be real quick. Then after she does her thing, hangs up right away. Using Here+ is some what of a pain. Every time a new navigation instruction (turn here) it's like getting a call.

Blackout3890

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes it takes an extra second for the Bluetooth to connect but Cortana will actually be listening. I've tried just talking after I activate her and it does work. It seems to go off quickly because she was actually listening the whole time.

NJ0813

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to get your text messages through SYNC without using Cortana? I have a 2015 Focus and not completely sure which SYNC version I am using (was recently updated at the dealership).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234