Video chat options?

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi! New here so forgive if this is the wrong place...I'm looking to get the 920's for my son and I. We both currently use iphones (4s and a 4). After the major joke that is the iphone 5 we are looking to jump ship and the 920 looks great.

One of the features we use a lot is Facetime. Is there any option like that with the 920? I know Skype is out there, but I'm looking for a free option if possible.

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi! New here so forgive if this is the wrong place...I'm looking to get the 920's for my son and I. We both currently use iphones (4s and a 4). After the major joke that is the iphone 5 we are looking to jump ship and the 920 looks great.

One of the features we use a lot is Facetime. Is there any option like that with the 920? I know Skype is out there, but I'm looking for a free option if possible.

Skype is free.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Skype from one skype account to another has always been free. You may be thinking of calling a landline an actual phone number with skype. That does, indeed, cost money. AFAIK, skype is even usable over a data connection, so if you have one of the data plans that AT&T didn't allow facetime with, you are just fine to Skype. It is also always on in the background, sort of. It remains logged on in MS servers (if you choose for it to be) and your phone is alerted when a call is coming through. This saves resources big time. For all intents and purposes, it IS FaceTime, with the added bonus of being able to talk to users on virtually any hardware across the globe. In other words, it isn't limited to just WP users as Facetime is limited to just iOS/OSX users.

EDIT: If video chatting with the family is a big deal to either of you, you may look into the HTC 8x. One of the few things it trumps the 920 on is the wide-angle front facing camera; it is supposedly great for group/family skyping. :)

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I went back and looked a little more carefully. When you sign up they make it look like you have to pick a payment plan.

Thank you for the help with that. Makes dropping Apple a lot easier.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Glad you were able to find your answer here on the WPCentral forums! If you need anymore reasons to drop iOS just come back and ask ;) . We are more than happy to help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo