Videos and Music from my home NAS

yourguitarhero

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS on my home network. It has all my music and videos on it.
However the Music and Video apps won't index the folders. I've tried a bunch of things, including making symbolic links to folders on the C: of the surface but it isn't working.
I have a PC running Windows 8 on the network which has all my media indexed in its libraries..... am I doing something wrong or is it a limitation of WinRT?

Or do I need to get a media app that can build a library of media on a network?

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at an app called plex. It has good ratings and I was going to research it today. Maybe someone has used it and can chime in. You need to install a free part on your server/desktop then it is supposed to work with your RT. I will read about it in the next couple of hours and get back to you. It seems we are doing parallel things but you are proceding faster than me.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS on my home network. It has all my music and videos on it.
However the Music and Video apps won't index the folders. I've tried a bunch of things, including making symbolic links to folders on the C: of the surface but it isn't working.
I have a PC running Windows 8 on the network which has all my media indexed in its libraries..... am I doing something wrong or is it a limitation of WinRT?

Or do I need to get a media app that can build a library of media on a network?

Have you manually added the network shares to your music and video libraries? I have an RT and it works fine for me.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at an app called plex. It has good ratings and I was going to research it today. Maybe someone has used it and can chime in. You need to install a free part on your server/desktop then it is supposed to work with your RT. I will read about it in the next couple of hours and get back to you. It seems we are doing parallel things but you are proceding faster than me.

Me again It sounded nice but the free down load for your NAS turns into a subscription. So $5.00 app for RT then money every month for the server part to work.........The download is free though. I feel like giving them a lousy rating for not being up front about it.

yourguitarhero

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you manually added the network shares to your music and video libraries? I have an RT and it works fine for me.

I've tried but it gives me 'location cannot be indexed' errors. How did you get it to work?

The PLEX thing won't work for me as it needs a computer to be running all the time. I can't install applications on to the OS of the NAS either.
I guess another option would be a different media app (not the built in music/video/pics ones) that can use the NAS' DNLA server?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've tried but it gives me 'location cannot be indexed' errors. How did you get it to work?
From Windows Help:

This message appears if you try to add a network location that isn't indexed. The easiest way to index it so you can include it in a library is to enable offline files on your PC and make the network folder available offline. (In File Explorer, tap or click Home, tap or click Easy access, and choose Always available offline.) When you do this, the files are added to the search index on your PC.

Personally, I DON'T recommend doing this, as it will start copying files from the network share to your computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte