missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
We were told a month ago that VLC was days away from being the marketplace by the developers. Where the hell is it? This has been one giant waste of donated money.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
and why they made it for x86 architecture is beyod me. It is RT users that need it.

I will contrinue to use MediaMonkey.

and oh, the x86 version worked once only, and crashes from then on.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
1. It's a beta. There will be bugs.

2. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people with small laptops or tablets running 8/8.1 Core/Pro who would prefer the Modern UI over the desktop for media applications than there are RT users. On my 14" ProBook, I prefer Hulu and Netflix in the Modern UI, and they work great snapped off to the side if I'm not using them full screen.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
and why they made it for x86 architecture is beyod me. It is RT users that need it.

I will contrinue to use MediaMonkey.

and oh, the x86 version worked once only, and crashes from then on.

There are more x86 Windows tablets for sale, some of which are too small to use the desktop properly (despite what Microsoft may want) and this is a great send for them. Also, it is working for a lot of people. It isn't the best beta, but it isn't crashing for everybody at least.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I find it amazing that other apps (mobile HD) are doing almost the same thing, and a year and a half before this. I've come to realize that the VLC crew is massively overrated.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I find it amazing that other apps (mobile HD) are doing almost the same thing, and a year and a half before this. I've come to realize that the VLC crew is massively overrated.

Either that, or it takes a lot of effort to move a program that takes advantage of platform specific code to another platform.

​One of the two.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
You conclude "overrated", I conclude "understaffed". This is VLC we're talking about. A tool that is universally recognized as a top media player (some would say, "best") across platforms. It takes behind-the-scenes work to maintain a rational codebase that can be re-used. Many developers write quick-n-dirty code that will work for one platform but must be significantly rewritten or restructured for another. Trying to maintain some parity between the versions in that environment gets more difficult over time.

You blame the developers but perhaps some of the blame lays at Microsoft's feet. Some of the Win 8.x APIs have undergone revisions... some revisions were slight, others extensive. If Microsoft's wavering vision with regard to the Win8 UI is any indication of what is happening to the internals, it would not be surprising to learn that API shift, poorly documented APIs, buggy APIs, etc. are contributing factors.

If mobile HD is a better VLC than VLC then why not simply use mobile HD and be done with it? What is it about VLC (except for an opportunity to complain) that keeps your attention?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h