VoiceWake Lite - Wake your computer using cortana

LaikaGlove

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So this is my second app for windows phone, it uses a technology called Wake On LAN so you need to configure that before you can use this application. A quick demonstration of the app can be seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6xTyuLixKg

The current release is just a Lite version to show off some functionality of the application, but later this week I will be releasing a paid version (Ad free of course) with a few other nifty features including:

• Location based wake - Tell Cortana to wake your PC when you arrive at a specific location.

• Scheduled wake - Tell Cortana to wake your PC at a specific time.

Due to some limitations of developing on windows phone, the scheduled wake does not work at an exact time, but rather will occur within 15 minutes of the user's specified time.

Some commands you can use in the full version include:

• Cortana wake computer when I get home
  • Cortana schedule computer to wake up tomorrow at 11 am
  • Cortana schedule computer to wake up on May 12th at 7:00 am

VoiceWake Lite can be downloaded on the windows phone store here.

I'm willing to answer a few questions about configuring Wake On LAN if anyone needs help, that's partially why I'm releasing this version first.
Also I apologize if this is the wrong section to post this in.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
in the help section the link to which "this " points does not woork ...and yeah got it to work when it was asleep but shutdown the PC cant turn it on . will dig sround and update
EDIT: changed around and got it to work now can switch on comp by the time i go from first to second floor .. thankyou kudos and willl purchase the app in coming months .....

Last edited:

Gustavo Nunes

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a doubt on that how to work,

I have set mac adress, ip, computer name ( needs to be exact name of the computer?), wake up on lan, port but the computer never turn on

Other question, computer needs to be on sleep state?

Edited : Even on sleep state didnt work so far....

ty

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty cool. Any chance of a few more phrases to turn it on. Cortanas whole unique bit is natural conversation, so maybe a few other commands. Cortana turn on my PC would be cool.

All in all a good plan. I'll be supporting you when u release it. Good job

LaikaGlove

May 11, 2014
Visit site
in the help section the link to which "this " points does not woork ...and yeah got it to work when it was asleep but shutdown the PC cant turn it on . will dig sround and update
EDIT: changed around and got it to work now can switch on comp by the time i go from first to second floor .. thankyou kudos and willl purchase the app in coming months .....
I just released an update fixing the links on the help page. If you have anymore issues with Wake On LAN, let me know and I'll try and troubleshoot with you.

I have a doubt on that how to work,

I have set mac adress, ip, computer name ( needs to be exact name of the computer?), wake up on lan, port but the computer never turn on

Other question, computer needs to be on sleep state?

Edited : Even on sleep state didnt work so far....

ty

Did you configure your network adapter for Wake On LAN also? You need to enable it in the BIOS and also enable it in the device manager in windows like in these images:
http://cdn.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/win1.png
http://cdn.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/win2.png

Visit this link for more details.

It's pretty cool. Any chance of a few more phrases to turn it on. Cortanas whole unique bit is natural conversation, so maybe a few other commands. Cortana turn on my PC would be cool.

All in all a good plan. I'll be supporting you when u release it. Good job

That wouldn't be difficult at all, I just wanted to maintain some consistency in what voice commands you can use within the app.

Gustavo Nunes

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

LaikaGlove

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So

Yes i did configure it right.

I'm now at home and gonna test it out with my PC, that one i told you not working is my office comp.

I report back my testing soon

Did you forward the default port (4505) or whatever port you were using to your office computer's IP Address on the office router? You probably don't have permission to do this, but that could be the other issue.

Gustavo Nunes

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
well at home pc its working fine, maybe missing some config at office, ill check tomorrow and tell u back, at office im using an Intel D thats quite a crap pc,

This tool is so useful when you OC the computer and may have to be out for a couple of minutes ,hour so...ty

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't get it to work.

I fixed the IP of the pc.
I forwarded the port to its IP in the lan in the router.
I enabled wake on lan in Device Manager for the network adapter (which strangely did read as "wake on lan disabled: enabled/disabled")

The only thing I wasn't sure of was the IP, I did try both the external (albeit yeah, dynamic) ip from my isp,and the internal IP in the lan.

And the other thing is that the wifi router is connected to the main one, whose wifi I don't use. Maybe that's the catch, having to forwaed the ports there too?

LaikaGlove

May 11, 2014
Visit site
So maybe i misunderstood, but does this mean that in theory, while at work, I can wake up my home computer? As long as I'm on WiFi?

As long as you're using your WAN IP address and have your network configured properly, yes you can turn it on from anywhere.

I couldn't get it to work.

I fixed the IP of the pc.
I forwarded the port to its IP in the lan in the router.
I enabled wake on lan in Device Manager for the network adapter (which strangely did read as "wake on lan disabled: enabled/disabled")

The only thing I wasn't sure of was the IP, I did try both the external (albeit yeah, dynamic) ip from my isp,and the internal IP in the lan.

And the other thing is that the wifi router is connected to the main one, whose wifi I don't use. Maybe that's the catch, having to forwaed the ports there too?

Yeah, it sounds like your two router setup is causing the issue. So your phone is on the wifi of one router, and your pc is connected via ethernet to a switch/router?

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have the Main Router, with the PC connected to the Main Router through wired connection.
Then Wifi Router is connected through cable to Main Router too (downstairs).

I'm gonna try duplicating the forwarding setup in the second router, then revise the BIOS setup (where it's not specified with the "wake on LAN" name, I think it might be something like "wake on PCIE" or the like".

Thanks for your help! Your app seems really useful.

LaikaGlove

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I have the Main Router, with the PC connected to the Main Router through wired connection.
Then Wifi Router is connected through cable to Main Router too (downstairs).

I'm gonna try duplicating the forwarding setup in the second router, then revise the BIOS setup (where it's not specified with the "wake on LAN" name, I think it might be something like "wake on PCIE" or the like".

Thanks for your help! Your app seems really useful.

Yeah, that's the BIOS setting for wake on lan on some motherboards, mine is named the same thing. Also, here's some information on forwarding ports with a multiple router setup. Hopefully you can make use of it.

kostas023

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i want to create a tutorial for how to setup this amazing app.
Like many of you i had some trouble until make the app working perfectly.
Let's start.

First of all you need to open your bios and Enable the WakeOnLan (WOL) option which is probably in the "Power Management Setup" tab.
*If you can't find WOL try to search in the same tab for "EuP" or "ErP" and Disable it.
Save your motherboard settings and Exit from BIOS.

bios-wake-on-lan-2.jpg

After you finish with BIOS you have to enable the Wake on Magic Packet option in your Network Adapter. Right click on Computer->Properties->Device Manager and then follow the Instructions in the Image.

1.png

Now you have to open the 4505 port. To do this press open a cmd and type ipconfig /all and type the Defult Gateway IP in any browser address bar and press enter.
2.png
You have to login into your router and find the option for the IP forward.
3.png
4.png
5.png

Replace 192.168.x.x with your IPv4 address which you can find it by following this image:
6.png

*If you can't add the port and you get an error, restart your router and try again.

Now your are ready to use the app.
Go on your Windows Phone 8.1 and open the VoiceWake app.
Click on the add button and you will see this:
wp_ss_20140513_0001.png

You can find IPv4 and Mac address from here:
7.png

Send your PC for sleep, then go on Cortana and say "Cortana wake *and the name you give for your pc in the app*"

If your PC don't wake up try to change the Sleep mode with Hibarnate (this works for me).
8.png

That's it. I hope i help you with this tutorial and i think everyone can make it work now. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05