W10M Official 10586.420 Discussion (Threshold Branch, Inactive)

chinni subhash

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: W10M Official 10586.420 Issues (Threshold Branch, Production Ring/Official)

Lumia 950 XL on official .420 build. ALmost no issues. Battery is better. I am happy with it.

x I'm tc

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

There are major issues with WiFi in Windows 10. My 950 also has serious problems with my work, but not my home, WiFi.

That said, every W10 device I've used, phone, laptop or tablet or desktop (made by MS, HP, Lenovo, or custom job) all have weird WiFi problems. The same devices, running W8/1 or 7, work perfectly. I think maybe there's just something wrong with WiFi in 10. What's crazy is that no two devices have the exact same set of issues, but I also have no W10 devices that have perfectly smoothly working WiFi, out of like a dozen of them...including Surfaces.

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

no..i did a clean official windows 10 installation on my L640 XL.
never did a hard reset after that bcz it never needed any..
battery was superb..
even got up to 4 days of usage sometimes.
things changed from this build. why ??
i have no idea.

crg1970

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I had very much the same experience with my original L1520. I have a slightly newer L1520 that does not show the same behaviour. The original L1520 went through many of the first Windows 10 mobile builds that really drained the battery heavily (only until Feb or so did my experience with the builds improve in the way of battery life). I believe those builds and the constant draining and charging damaged my battery. The other L1520 had been sitting out of the Win Mobile until recently and the performance of it is much better with this latest builds.

In the past there were some tricks to try to re-condition a battery, but I think that is no longer applicable to these kind of devices. By the way, on Redstone, both of my L1520s are getting some ghost touching input. I am not sure if it is related to the latest builds. Has anyone seen anything like that?

rkrams

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site

One of the main things that i found stps battery drain is setting feedback to basic and update once a week! its a huge factor! when feedback was full was getting hardly a day with l640. once i changed feedback to basic have been getting 2.5-3 days!

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

This Build is looking A-OK on the 950. Lots of use and 24 hour standby, still at 50%.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

One of the main things that i found stps battery drain is setting feedback to basic and update once a week! its a huge factor! when feedback was full was getting hardly a day with l640. once i changed feedback to basic have been getting 2.5-3 days!
How and where?

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

I don't often post or feel the need to but I thought I'd share my thoughts on this update.

Battery life - It's been friggin' amazing with this update on my Lumia 650. I unplugged the phone this morning at 7am, it's now 17:11pm and my battery stands at 47%, it'd normally be down to around 25%. Today I've used WhatsApp a little bit, made 30 minutes worth of phone calls (10 minutes on speaker), been to the store a few times to check for updates, used the Desktop central app (obvs, obvs) and used Outlook Mail.

Every update previously has been dreadful in terms of battery life! I'm now considering turning back on some features that I occasionally use such as NFC and setting my emails to sync more frequently (these were things I tried changing previously but had no effect on battery life).

I've just tried changing the diagnostics feedback to once a week to see if this helps as previously mentioned by other users.

Performance has been quite good. Though it failed me with simple tasks such as opening Outlook Mail in public on a packed train with people hovering around me, dreadfully slow for no reason at all. Looking forward to Redstone which I'm running on my old Lumia 735.

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

My L950 running .420 has often been unresponsive to touch. I've had to do soft reboots a few times in order to use the phone, as either I cannot get the PIN panel to show up or once in there is no response. I've been learning to use the Windows Hello in order to get in, and once in that way then the touch will work better.

UPDATE: Even using Windows Hello will not wake up the touch screen. Can't even power it down, just soft reboots. The unresponsiveness is so bad that I am switching to my spare L650 running the Redstone branch

Last edited:

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

no..i did a clean official windows 10 installation on my L640 XL.
never did a hard reset after that bcz it never needed any..
battery was superb..
even got up to 4 days of usage sometimes.
things changed from this build. why ??
i have no idea.

Great screenshots. Clearly Whatsapp and WindowsCentral are really pinging constantly.
I'd suggest disabling push for *at least* WindowsCentral, and possibly WhatsApp (not sure how this affects it's functionality, it's not one I use for messaging myself).
Your "Device Diagnostics" is really eating your battery too, is that an app that prevents background disable? Apps that constantly check device status can be really tough on CPU/batter.
My guess is that if you look at Data Usage, for the same apps (except possibly Device Diagnostics), you'd see quite a spike since the 420 update (obviously getting the <420 data could be difficult, since you hard reset). Either way, I'd be taking a look at the data usage patterns for those.
I know the WindowsCentral is a pretty high CPU/Data user on my PC, but I don't run it on my phone, so I'm not sure the two necessarily correlate, unless its' a universal app, then I'd definitely be suspicious of it.
I'd also suggest disabling some of your background apps, like the Store, and just check those periodically, but that's me, I like the "manual poll/pull" model for some of these. Edge can be a background CPU/battery suck too, if it's running something that's active, like a weather page.

I know this doesn't answer exactly why 420 transitioned, but this gets you "on firmer ground". Once you get there, you can re-add apps into the background(ONE-at-a-time), and I bet you'll see one of the apps is the culprit, it'll be relatively obvious.
A quick way to "check" this, if you don't want to disable a bunch of apps, is to turn on "battery saver" all the time, since that is "supposed to" prevent all but critical background processing, such as phone and device-text, and a small set of kernel stuff. It's not as good as manually disabling those and re-adding them, but it's easier for a quick check.
After all this, I'd go back and read the release notes for 420, and see what matches. For example, it looks like they fixed quite a few "sync" issues in this build, which would lead back to the various apps mentioned above.

My 420 battery use seems to have gone down to 1-2%/hour if I'm not actively using it, and back to 318 levels, if I am, once I disabled a couple of background apps myself. For now, I'm good with that, as I don't really need Edge running background.

Last edited:

MrKappa

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

I'm still keeping updated my L720 with Threshold branch. Last release .420 seems to works generally fine and I have no hang up to reports so far (with previous release the situation was much worse already after few hours of use!).
But hot spot function still does not work. I see from other users that other phones got already a fix and L720 is one of last few models with this issue, most probably abandoned from Ms as it's only a 512 RAM device.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm still keeping updated my L720 with Threshold branch. Last release .420 seems to works generally fine and I have no hang up to reports so far (with previous release the situation was much worse already after few hours of use!).
But hot spot function still does not work. I see from other users that other phones got already a fix and L720 is one of last few models with this issue, most probably abandoned from Ms as it's only a 512 RAM device.

Weird deal, what's it do on the hotspot problem? My 950XL is working fine (I use tethering a LOT), on 420.
I have had some issues with builds though, and one thing that often fixed it was to go into airplane mode, and then re-enable tethering/hotspot, WITHOUT first disabling airplane mode. I think this changes the driver stack load order, vs just flipping airplane mode off, it's often "fixed" my tethering.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

There are major issues with WiFi in Windows 10. My 950 also has serious problems with my work, but not my home, WiFi.

That said, every W10 device I've used, phone, laptop or tablet or desktop (made by MS, HP, Lenovo, or custom job) all have weird WiFi problems. The same devices, running W8/1 or 7, work perfectly. I think maybe there's just something wrong with WiFi in 10. What's crazy is that no two devices have the exact same set of issues, but I also have no W10 devices that have perfectly smoothly working WiFi, out of like a dozen of them...including Surfaces.

I bet your office uses old WEP wifi protocol. Ask for changing it to WPA2.
Win10 works better than 8.1 on wifi, but hates oldest security protocols

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I bet your office uses old WEP wifi protocol. Ask for changing it to WPA2.
Win10 works better than 8.1 on wifi, but hates oldest security protocols

Yeah, I've noticed that too, clearly the older protocols didn't get the same testing attention that the newer ones did. Or maybe they did, and bugs just didn't get fixed, due to de-prioritizing them, who knows (I used to know a bunch of guys that worked in this group, they had an absolutely insane test matrix, and limited Faraday cage time-slices).
I solve this by using a basic WiFi extender (when I remember/have it with me) at places that have WEP. It creates a "buffer" between your W10 device and the WEP network, since it shells out a nice WPA2 setup to connect to. It's unfortunately to have to abstract things this way, but eventually most of the world will be on WPA2 or bettter (of course by then we'll be on WPA6 or something entirely new ;-]).

Kay239

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Installed 10586.420 recent OS update on lumia 830....and my swipe keyboard just stopped working and same goes with Cortana it crashes often and audio icon stopped working on cortana screen.
Rest of the features are working proper till now.
any resolution to get things back to work proper ?

Akhil_007

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site

okay,
I uninstalled the top battery using apps.. still same result....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo