Wallet Case + Wireless Charging = Sad Credit Cards?

goopile

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi there!

Question:

As QI uses inductive charging, it creates an electromagnetic field while charging.
I was planning on purchasing a wallet case but this got me a bit worried.
I don't want to accidentally wipe my cards down the road...

So my question is to those of you who happen to have a wallet case;
have you noticed any problems with credit cards etc that use magnetic strips?
Or do you think the phone itself is enough to "shield" the cards from the magnetic field?

I've tried to search for information on the matter but I can't really find anything conclusive.
If anyone else have heard anything regarding this, please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance!

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I have one of those cases, but I rarely use it. It's really only for the occasion that I want to carry the minimal of amount of stuff with me. So while I haven't any problems, I haven't used it enough to know if it could cause problems over time. If you get an official answer, please post it here so we know. However, I had a thought in regards to your question. Don't some credit cards (not so much in the U.S.) have an NFC chip that can be read by smartphones? Being that the 920 supports NFC, one would think that the devices should be okay being close to each other. That said, I suppose there is still a possibility that there could be an issue if they close to each other for extended amount of time, depending on the shielding.

goopile

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, the credit cards/debit cards we use here in Sweden use a chip nowadays and I'm fairly certain those are not affected in the same way a magnetic strip would. But I still have other cards that I use which do utilize the magnetic strip.

I don't think there's a problem just having the phone near a credit card (don't quote me on that though) but the wireless charger creates a magnetic field while charging, and that's what I'm worried about. Ofc I could just pull out the cards while charging... but that's not convenient. ;)

But yeah, if I get any info regarding this subject I'll post it.

goopile

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Updating since I finally got an official answer from Nokia Sweden. It is stated in the manual for the wireless charger as well (should've seen that one earlier but who reads manuals, right?).

Nokia does not recommend putting credit cards on or near the wireless charger, since it can demagnetize them.

And, that's about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire