Warning for KingRaven26: Copy/Paste of Articles

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Post: Should I get an XBOX ONE to make my whole life Windows/Microsoft?
User: KingRaven26
Infraction: Copy/Paste of Articles

Administrative Note:
Please don't blank quote

Message to User:
You've been warned.

Original Post:
[QUOTE="Kage Maru, post: 2401618, member: 286554"]I'm sorry but this is a load of bull. You sound like all of the Sony fans who were waiting for devs to learn the PS3 and unlock the special sauce deep within the system. MS made a "good enough" system, meaning it can handle new gen games with maybe a few cut backs and the masses will usually be none the wiser. Does this mean great looking games won't appear on the system? No, being weaker didn't stop the PS2 or GC from having great looking games, but great looking games doesn't indicate performance parity with the competition. That applied then with the ps2/GC vs Xbox and it applies now with the PS4 vs Xbox one. It's a huge lie to say otherwise.

The guy asked how people use the XB1 and whether it's worth picking up the entire package to have a Windows-centric home. I say yes because I actually use it all every day. Sorry if it sounded like a sales pitch, maybe I am just more convincing and professional in my delivery than some jackass who tries to argue on this forum as you just came off as. If you'd like me to be more specific as to why the XB1 is future proof compared to the PS4, here's the facts.
1) The Xbox One's ESRAM has a theoretical clock speed of ~203GB/s, vs the PS4's max theoretical 176 GB/s. The ESRAM on the XB1 is a small cache, so the DDR3 must do most of the heavy lifting, but because of the way the two can work together, equal or greater bandwidth is possible should developers strike the right balance when building their games and honing their graphics engines to cater to the XB1's architecture.
2) The Xbox One has a stronger CPU and is clocked higher than the PS4's. No if's, and's, or but's. That's the deal.
3) The Xbox One has an on-board audio CPU chip to offload most/all audio processing to free up more power for the main CPU
4) Cloud computing is proven and works with gaming. No, you don't run an entire game from the cloud. Sony's play with streaming games over cloud computing will likely result in sub-par experiences due to bandwidth capabilities from general home users. Gaikai also was a very small cloud system when you compare it to the likes of Azure and since I happen to know a couple of cloud computing engineers for Azure and S-SDE's @ Microsoft who actually worked on the tech and Gaikai before Sony acquired it, I think their certainty of it being only good for small-time cloud services is true. Microsoft also gave us an estimate of what Azure is built to handle for games, stating that it will lend up to 30-35% more computing power for an XB1 with its current hardware set.

Now PS4's games were easier to code out of the gate because there was no ESRAM cache to try and work with. Straight-DDR5 is beneficial at first because the devs already had experience with it so it required less lead-time to get games up to snuff. The problem is the PS4, like the XB1, still suffers from a lot of upscaling on games because the hardware sets are a bit different than your typical gaming PC. But cloud does offer a lot of advantages because the more resources you can free up locally, the more you can do with a game's physics engine, AI behaviors, player counts, etc. Sony simply doesn't have the system in place and they can't build it because the entire company is in the toilet for profits. The PS4 may very well be the only thing that is a positive for Sony right now. Don't get me wrong, I once owned PS systems too when they were thriving and it was just Nintendo vs PlayStation. But the Xbox One has way more going for it as a gaming device AND a media device. You can't look at anything Sony is doing and say "yeah, that is exactly on par with what Microsoft has/is planning". Sony played it safer this time around, but it sucks for the people that loved the PS brand and want it to do similar things the XB1 can. Heck, you can't even play CDs or MP3s on the system because Sony didn't want to spend the money on the licensing of the formats to use on the system. I could almost forgive CDs since they're fading, but MP3s? Ridiculous. That's the kind of direction that console is going.

It's also rather ignorant to claim either system is more future proof than the other. The "cloud" is not some silver bullet and is something many companies are investing in, not just MS.

The rest of your post sounds like a MS infomercial but I don't feel like addressing everything using this slow WPCentral app. I just hope anyone that reads your post here knows to do it with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deewinc