Weather app update : 7Forecasts

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Image.png
Hello, I want to present you the update of this weather app to version 3.

The new version comes for Windows 8.1 and Windos phone 8.1 with new functions like :
  • notifications (toasts),
  • customizable transparents tiles : you can choose between differents models of live tiles you want,
  • customizable application interface, you can choose differents themes (dark, light, blue with images of weather)..
  • saint of the day
  • app is localized in english, french, and italian

Auto-update of the tiles works well with geolocalisation, or added cities (you can add more than one cities)

Images below of the app with differents themes :
Image1.pngImage2.pngImage3.png
Images of tiles (transparents tiles and different models) :
Image4.pngImage5.pngwp_ss_20151021_0002.png

Link to the stores :
URL for Windows 10 : https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh098w3
URL for Windows 8.1 and earlier : http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/870a590f-bb07-40ab-855a-59e19a99288f
URL for Windows Phone 8.1 and earlier : http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=f9c1618b-9dee-47c3-ab71-864b53e94940

QR Code :
View attachment static_qr_code_without_logo.png

Attachments

• wp_ss_20151021_00021.png
    wp_ss_20151021_00021.png
    69 KB · Views: 29

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded it and tried it. A few remarks:
1. Check the grammar.
2. The app keeps on crashing.
3. Not sure what "saint of the day" has anything to do with weather information.

If additional fixes are released that would make the app actual run, probably more tests and constructive comments can be given.

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello thanks for the review :
- can you tell where the grammar is not good (if it's in some particular fields) ?
- ok for crash, I will see microsoft logs/dumps.
- saint of the day, this someting that I was looking fory when I wheck forecasts..but perhaps it's just me...

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I made some updates to resolves some bug with english version of the app wich can cause App crash, tiles not updating. And resolves some display bugs with interface. Should be Resolved in version 3.0.2.31.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello thanks for the review :
- can you tell where the grammar is not good (if it's in some particular fields) ?
- ok for crash, I will see microsoft logs/dumps.
- saint of the day, this someting that I was looking fory when I wheck forecasts..but perhaps it's just me...

Thanks for the update.
1. there are minor grammatical errors in the app description, but they're passable. The major ones are:
1.a. Upon opening the app, it says "Do you want the app can access to your localisation ?" which would be a lot better if it said, "Do you want to app to access your location?"
1.b. Upon clicking on "Yes" for the location permission, the next stage says "Do you want the app can run in background", which should be "Do you want the app to run in the background?"
1.c. In the settings, "localisation" should be "Location"
1.d. Notify me when the weather changes.
1.e. Share data between apps. (What does this mean, by the way?)
1.f. Refresh data on startup.
1.g. In the purchase license message, it should say something like "You haven't purchased the license for 'Pack Look' which would allow you to customize the app. Click "Yes" if you want to purchase it.". This is a linear improvement, but you can play around the language to make it more entertaining/natural, maybe something like, "Whoops! That feature is for our premium members. Click "Yes" if you want to...."

2. If I don't do anything for the app and background permissions, the app will crash within three seconds.

3. This has been updated: For some reason, the main tile now displays the location and the secondary tile displays the forecast for "Tomorrow" - which are good features.
Old post: It would be better if the location was in the main tile display (not the saint name), and then the saint name would be in the secondary tile display. I understand it may be your preference, but matters dealing with religion could become highly sensitive/discriminatory at times - which may affect the popularity of your app.

4. What's the source of your weather data?

I hope these feedback would help.

Last edited:

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for you reply. I will answer you , but first many thanks to grammar correction I will set this in the next updates (which will be available in very few days).

1.e. Share data between apps. (What does this mean, by the way?)
=> The app works on Windows8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, they share lincesing, settings (app theme or icons choosen on one app will be set on second app), but can share Cities/Locations that you add in the application. For exemple : the first city is always your current loc (if you set localistion to ON) and is only for one app, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc will be synchronized beteween devices (if you are on same windows account).

2. If I don't do anything for the app and background permissions, the app will crash within three seconds.
=> ok I will test that

3. This has been updated: For some reason, the main tile now displays the location and the secondary tile displays the forecast for "Tomorrow" - which are good features.
=> I have done many changes for tile generation (and added tiles templates) so I will test a little more for next update. For the "Saints" I have in mind to set it as an option (and I will need to re-work the settings UI...lol), I will try for next update.

4-weather data comes from openweathermap.

I work hard these days for a new version:
- I saw that times and some informations (weather, day names etc) were not correctly localized. : should be corrected next release (users should see weather infos, tiles in their phone language).
- I work a lot on the background process beceause it can crash on low-end device (512Mb phones), tiles creation takes a lot of memory.
- on some device the UI was too BIG.
- perhaps deutsh language for UI

Last edited:

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to you, the update is available on store and add/correct for Windows and Windows Phone :
- grammar correction for english
- correction for localize language for non french/english people
- background task should work correctly to update tiles on low memory devices
- new option to hide Saints of days in app and on tiles, hidden now by default for US.
- modification of UI for settings page.

links :
windows 8.1 :
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/870a590f-bb07-40ab-855a-59e19a99288f
windows phone 8.1:
http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=f9c1618b-9dee-47c3-ab71-864b53e94940
Thanks for reviews and downloads..:)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've got the updated version, but was quite busy recently to reply here. Anyway, the app seems to be improving with each update. The tile is working perfectly with the location automatically being detected and updated in the background.

In your next update, consider changing:
1. "Metric" in the settings to "Metric units";
2. "Notify me when weather changes" to "Weather notifications" - just to be more concise, but your original version is also alright;
3. Try adding a meteogram if possible.
4. Update: I already found the source of weather data - it's already in the app and their data is one of the most reliable (for my location at least).

I'm now trying the app in Windows 10 Mobile and it seems to be working normally. Of course the other features are "locked" or "licensed" so beta testing on those features may not be as frequent.

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello and thanks gpobernado, good reviews and encouragement is always welcome ! :)
I will take these points for next release. I am working hard to make app more stable and resolve some bugs on some phones (512MB phones), app is so far in the store classment :( I do all the best to make it downloaded more.
Personnaly I use the app on Win10 mobile 10581 and it works like a charm. ;)
I am coding the Win 10 version (and meteogram is function I want to add)But the 8.1 version take to me much time than I thought, and I have huge problem with background tasks with it.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome. I've participated in beta testing other apps as well, and it's always refreshing/fulfilling to bounce ideas with developers and fellow users.

Windows 10 Mobile isn't "final" yet, but with build 10581 my L1020 is now performing better/faster than it did in WP8.1 (of course there are still hiccups, but nothing major). So I think it will be easier to code for W10M than for WP8.1.

This just might be my impression, but I think it would be better to open the BETA for W10M now instead of WP8.1, since WP8.1 will be liquidated soon (sooner than W10M at least).

Yohann Alberti

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am preparing a beta fo W10 (mobile for instant), I just found a solution for my background task (ouch)..I will tell when itwill be avaible if you are interested.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sure, please do let us know when the update will be available. But chances are that it will be automatically be downloaded as an app update when it gets released in the store. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifeca1295