Weird: Shut down Lumia 920 Restarts when plugged in to charge

shr4van

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my Lumia 920 today. I shut-down the phone & then plugged it in to charge. Once I plugged it in, the phone automatically booted up. Is this normal?

I also tried leaving my charger on & shutting down the phone. It automatically boots up after shutting down. Has anybody experienced this?

Rewovener

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed this and I wasn't impressed. Surely the phone will charge more quickly if turned off?
Just another quirk to get used to I suppose.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK Android devices are the only smartphones that don't automatically power up when charging. My wife's Android phone doesn't...

I think maybe MS (and apple) went with a software solution to prevent overcharging rather than a hardware one. This would mean the phone would have to be on while charging to make sure you don't cook your battery.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed this and I wasn't impressed. Surely the phone will charge more quickly if turned off?
Just another quirk to get used to I suppose.

My Nexus 7 tablet takes more than 12 hours to fully charge when turned off but it takes about 6 hours or less while on.

*shrug*

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't pretend that I understand it either.

Me neither. Logic fails me. How can a tablet require more juice when switched off than when switched on? :confused:

I was an Android child before the beautiful Lumia, so I thought in my smartphone naivete that that was how they all would function....

Don't worry, we've all been there at some point. When I got my first BlackBerry it took me 2 weeks to find the "Menu" key.

Abita Springs

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the same thing keeps happening to my Lumia 920 as well.

Frankly, I have to go through shut-down procedure a couple of times before unit shuts down.

When I finally get it to shut down and then plug in charger it boots back up!

If it is plugged into charger unit will not shut down at all, it just reboots itself.

There is also a "hard shutdown" where one can hold the Volume Key and the Power Off key at same time. I have had to use this a couple of times when Lumia 920 simply hung up during a shutdown.

What am I missing.

I am new to threads and have not read the other posts yet so if I am going over old ground, please excuse.

Thanks.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the same thing keeps happening to my Lumia 920 as well.

Frankly, I have to go through shut-down procedure a couple of times before unit shuts down.

When I finally get it to shut down and then plug in charger it boots back up!

If it is plugged into charger unit will not shut down at all, it just reboots itself.

There is also a "hard shutdown" where one can hold the Volume Key and the Power Off key at same time. I have had to use this a couple of times when Lumia 920 simply hung up during a shutdown.

What am I missing.

I am new to threads and have not read the other posts yet so if I am going over old ground, please excuse.

Thanks.

It's normal for all Windows Phones.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Me neither. Logic fails me. How can a tablet require more juice when switched off than when switched on? :confused:
It's not that the tablet requires more juice. Chargers are smart nowadays. They will send a minimal trickle, until told to send more. If the tablet/phone/whatever is turned off, it isn't able to send the charger the request for more. When the device turns on, it tells the charger it is ready for a real current, and the charger accommodates.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not that the tablet requires more juice. Chargers are smart nowadays. They will send a minimal trickle, until told to send more. If the tablet/phone/whatever is turned off, it isn't able to send the charger the request for more. When the device turns on, it tells the charger it is ready for a real current, and the charger accommodates.

With the wireless charging this is the case, but with USB wall adaptors it really isn't. They just provide an efficient 5V of up to 10W and the phone can pull whatever it likes up to this. The data pins on the USB adaptor specify the charger capability. And there are both USB specs on this (BC1.2) as well as about 8 proprietary methods of indicating capability, typically by setting the pins to differing voltages or shorting them. The phone doesn't tell the wall adaptor anything.

Edit: You are right in that chargers are typically smart and do regulate supply to the battery/operating device dependent on it's power requirements. The charger basically balances the output to the charging and device operating demands.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963