What are you using virtual desktops for?

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I didn't know Virtual desktop existed on w10, tried it under ubuntu but switched to single workspace. Multiple Virtual Desktop consume too many CPU cycles on older config.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I find virtual desktops extremely useful. Currently I have four, as follows:

1/ My day-to-day online stuff, such as email, calendar, to-do and web browsing

2/ My university workplace, for programs such as OneNote, another web browser, documents I'm writing, research and so on

3/ My programming space: Visual Studio, along with Arduino and PIC programming environments

4/ My media stuff: editing video, audio and graphics

Unfortunately I find the implementation in W10 almost useless because the virtual desktops don't persist during reboots. Thus I use Dexpot instead, which also allows applications to be assigned to particular desktops, etc.

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Never used that feature after trying it for the first time. Never found a practical advantage for it. I am better off with all my windows in one screen than splitting it into different "virtual" desktops and then searching which windows is where :p

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Currently I don't use Virtual Desktops. Maybe I'll get use out of them if I forced myself to use them, but having had dual monitors for donkeys years, I've always just worked between the monitors. Even on my MacBook Pro which I've had since 2011 (and it's still kicking? Bloody hell!) I never really found much use for the virtual desktops. However the suggestions I've found here may be useful. Perhaps I can use one VD for general use, one for programming, one for streaming, etc. We'll see.

Manikanta Reddy

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely adore Virtual desktops.
I run a Linux virtual box on full screen on one virtual desktops and other apps in their individual desktops.
The quick switching animation between desktops and the keyboard shortcuts are so awesome.
Trust me it feels amazing to be able to switch OS's at a snap once you get a hang of the Virtual desktops . I'm glad they have this here.

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I never found a use for this feature dating back to Windows XP and PowerToys on a single monitor setup. To me working on a single monitor and switching between desktops seemed no different than just switching between applications on one desktop. I think it filled the void for many at a time when monitors were expensive but as monitor costs have dropped considerably I much prefer multiple monitors. I use 4 monitors on my SP3 which I find to be much better. I like that Microsoft is putting features into Windows 10, it's good to have options for those that can use them.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have some Chinese Software that I need to use about once, or twice a month, to program some in-field fixtures...and it will only co-operate if I use an older version of Windows (Vista, or XP), so when I need to do some changes I go to another VDT to execute the older version of Windows, and do my deal.

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I use them for separating different things Desktop 1 is used for just general stuff like browsing, Netflix & YouTube. Desktop 2 is for Twitter & Facebook. Desktop 3 is for tinkering with Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition & Desktop 4 is for Work stuff like Outlook.

What would be nice would be to use a touchpad gesture when using a Laptop to switch between Desktops like how it works with Workspaces in Mac OS X.

Roland

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Multiple apps on Multiple Virtual desktops for multiple reasons, some for photo editing, virtual machines,reading, browsing, social, movies, downloading ...etc, this feature was my favorite feature on linux thankfully its available on windows :love:

IrishBoy0113

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I started using virtual desktops on OS X when they were introduced there. I have since moved back to Windows after buying a gaming PC and am glad they were put into Windows 10. Like others here, I use them to keep different tasks separated. I keep desktop 1 clean for file management and such, desktop 2 for web browsing and email, desktop 3 for iTunes and desktop 4 for finances in Quicken. It would be nice to be able to assign certain apps to certain desktops like Mission Control allows in OS X. Seems a little tedious to have to reopen each app in each desktop after a reboot.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I forgot about it, long time without using my lappy, on desk I can just spread things across monitors and even a tv

r2r

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Testing stage, load balance, clustering, service response, etc. It's not solid but it good when you're offline and just have one machine.

crabby2004

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't like it... I used the desktop cube on Linux and that worked really well, but for me virtual desktops only work if you can see them in "context" just like when screens are side by side - the cube did that beautifully but virtual desktops on windows 10 are too distinct to feel like anything other than different windows.

RonWesley

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Virtual desktops are a fantastic way to stay organized. The benefits of desktop virtualization include:

1. Cost savings because resources can be shared and allocated on an as-needed basis.
2. More efficient use of resources and energy.
3. Improved data integrity because backup is centralized.
4. Centralized administration.
5. Fewer compatibility issues.

Josephpaul27

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
If you have a ton of applications and files open but you want to focus on a single thing without the hassle of shutting the rest of the apps and files down, use a virtual desktop.

To get myself focused on a single task on my normally overcrowded desktop, I just drag the relevant windows to a virtual desktop I leave the clutter behind without the hassle of closing and re-opening it all.

Regards,
Joseph Paul

Underworld_11

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
So what you Suggest , Where can i get this services from, and does this give exact same admin privileges like my normal computer.

If you have a ton of applications and files open but you want to focus on a single thing without the hassle of shutting the rest of the apps and files down, use a virtual desktop.

To get myself focused on a single task on my normally overcrowded desktop, I just drag the relevant windows to a virtual desktop I leave the clutter behind without the hassle of closing and re-opening it all.

Regards,
Joseph Paul

Josephpaul27

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I have been using the VDI services from clouddesktoponline and Yes it gives you the exact same look, feel and functions like your normal computer if you want you can try out their 30 days Free Trial Offer but if you need to try out any app development software like me you might need to get a paid subscription for that you can contact their support team they have 24X7 Phone and chat support thats how i have got the services from them and i have been using it from quite some time and haven't got any issues.

Regards,
Joseph Paul

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254