What are you waiting for Microsoft ???

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
An Incremental bump to specs? That will not attract the enthusiastic customers like us. It has to be the top end specs, that should match Note 5 to get the customer's attention.

You misunderstand the word "incremental". These days, any spec bump occurring between last year's highest-end devices and this years highest-end devices is incremental! Always. It's been like that for two years now, and going forward the improvements between each year's flagships will become smaller still.

I predicted this slow down over five years ago, and that's exactly where we are now. The industry has pretty much arrived at the same point where the graphics card industry has been for years. We can no longer make improvements by drawing more power (battery capacity isn't improving at a meaningful rate, nor can we bypass that problem by using larger batteries since there is little market share beyond 5.5"), or adding more cores. The only way to make really noticeable improvements is via CPU node shrinks, which now arrive only once every two to three years.

Nothing MS or any other OEM can do will get us tangible improvements that are anything but incremental... at best.

Last edited:

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
No one here wants to see Microsoft Mobile die.
I think all users of the Windows platform especially it's biggest fans have been mistreated profusely by MS.

Personally I was very hopeful yet it's continuance is just not in the cards especially for North American users.
The tech bloggers I follow seem to be just floating along with mundane news about Microsoft's efforts.
As a supporter I'll hang in till the end however...good luck to us all.

Here's to the rise of the Phoenix.

It's weird, but I actually do feel sad - sadder than I did when I abandoned BlackBerry. Being a WP crusader, I always felt that we were a small contingent, but our day would come. It looks like it won't now and soon our beloved WP will be a footnote and share the same space as WebOS and Symbian.

That hurts. Quite a bit as it turns out. But my contract isn't up for renewal until November, so I still have the smallest slivers of hope.

In the end, my Nokia Lumia 800 with Tango and 7.5 will be the best phone I have ever owned.

Presto

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
A 1030 should have been released Q3/Q4 last year with updated looks, memory bump up, bigger and better screen and obviously upgraded processor to provide a slicker experience than my now sluggish 1020. Essentially the 930 with the better camera. This would have kept me and others I know happy.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ummm, they're waiting for Windows 10.

Of course.

So the new phone will come working on day 1 complete with Continuum, etc. That's a much better strategy than releasing yet another smartphone with slightly better specs and a Windows Phone 8.1 OS that is struggling to gain market share.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has however realized that the decision to acquire Nokia was a visionary move but ended up being one of their biggest failures. Microsoft too has made one error in judgement in the recent times, and the acquisition of Nokia’s mobile phone division was one such mistake that they made. The mistake cost them a lot! Over 7.6 billion USD and 7,800 jobs to be precise.
The word around the insider circle suggests that there are already two bids for the Nokia purchase and Motorola and Xiaomi have shown interest in the deal.
It has been almost 2 years since MS acquired the Nokia devices division. While there have been quite a few mid and budget level phones released there has yet to be a flagship device released. so the next one that MS releases will be their first. And judging by past performance, with no official announcement about a flagship we are at least 6 to 7 months away from one being available for consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans