What do I do?

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi Friends,
I am writing from India.
I follow Microsoft and windows mobiles very closely and am aware of the plans MS has for windows phones. I also do the same for iPhones and Android. As a result, I have compared all three in great details and have been using windows phones ever since the Lumia 920 and 820 were launched. At that point in time, I had very high expectations of windows becoming very big in terms of market shares. I did not expect them to be leaders but thought that they could capture 20% or more of market share in 2-3 years.
Fast forward to today: I use a 640XL (I Like big screen phones) and have gifted a 650 to my wife. This festive season (which has just started in India) I am looking to good phones. Virtually all websites I open only showcase Android phones. Only other phone visible is iPhone. Same is the case in retail stores. I just cannot find a Windows phone in the market. If I search too hard, I do get a 950 and 950XL, but the prices quoted are still the old ones (pre-price cuts) and I will have to buy continuum dock and other accessories separately. Moreover, I do not want to buy those because of heating and battery issues. Not to mention the app gap, and UWP is not really helping. We get to know more about existing apps being taken out of windows than any new ones making it to Windows.
Sad thing is that if I really want to experience a good phone, there is nothing in windows. I will hate to switch to android, but I guess I will be forced to. Next windows phone is unlikely to reach Indian shores in the next 6-9 months. There is absolutely no OEM activity and even if HP Elite X3 comes to India, I just don't know by when and for how much.
I am afraid even after the launch of the 'surface' phone MS will be fighting a losing battle. Even the die-hard windows fans like myself may have been forced to switch to Android and not a lot of people have enough money to switch phones every year.
MS has made some good decisions, but cancelling McLaren, delaying 950s and despite being 'outdated' not upgrading them in 2016 can only be termed as blunders by the windows phone team at MS. I just hope that whenever the surface phone comes, it is not too late for windows phones.
P.S. Dear Windows Central, if you could forward this to anyone at Microsoft, please do so. I know it will not help much, but I just want them to know how sad true windows fans are at present.

abhishek singh21

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I just don't know by when and for how much.

it will be in India by December 2016, around 57,000 INR.

I am afraid even after the launch of the 'surface' phone MS will be fighting a losing battle.

there are no solid news or confirmation by Microsoft themselves that a surface phone is in development or they are planning for one. All that is now on surface is just rumors .

In my view you should strongly consider HP Elite X3, it is a great phone with a good battery life and extra features like LED notification, Making double tap to suit your needs through extended control over it.

Or if you would like to make the full use of current Pooja sale , there are many great deals on Esellers.

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
In my view you should strongly consider HP Elite X3, it is a great phone with a good battery life and extra features like LED notification, Making double tap to suit your needs through extended control over it.

Yeah: If it comes to India by December, I might loosen up my purse and give myself a nice birthday present (its in January)

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
See if the 830 is available at a low price - that's the only midrange I can think of
830 is a midrange only in name (and may be looks). I always considered it an entry level phone and even though 640XL didn't had the pureview camera I went for it over 830. So nope, 830 is not even a consideration

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I quite like your perseverance. But right now if I have to 'upgrade' from a 640XL, then it must support continuum. Every thing else is there on my phone as well: Decent speed, best camera even when compared to mid-range phones, excellent battery backup, and decent screen

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I quite like your perseverance. But right now if I have to 'upgrade' from a 640XL, then it must support continuum. Every thing else is there on my phone as well: Decent speed, best camera even when compared to mid-range phones, excellent battery backup, and decent screen

Unfortunately, I think you might be out of options unless you are able to drop money for the 950 XL.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah: If it comes to India by December, I might loosen up my purse and give myself a nice birthday present (its in January)

...in which case, at the same time, you should - ideally, but also in all fairness - upgrade your wife's phone from the 650 you got her to a 950 (at least!) :smile:...

hemanlive

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think you might be out of options unless you are able to drop money for the 950 XL.
Problem with 950 is not really money. It is available for 30Ks. There are no offers currently that give the display dock complimentary but its still OK. Problem is that both 950 and 950XL are not really great phones in my opinion. They would have been a year prior to their launch or just around their launch time. Right now, the true flagship really is the Elite X3. Only thing I was impressed by in 950XL (have not tried 950) was the camera. It really holds its ground even against the Galaxy S7, which is later generation phone and in my opinion has the best mobile camera at the moment. I am hoping to have the Elite X3 in India soon. I so wish that MS had not written off Nokia (or not acquired it in the first place) as we would have had a lot of choices at entry level, real mid-range and of course the top end. In fact it is because of Nokia, I never felt like buying the top end because the mid ranger (820) was good enough for me and I am reasonably happy with the 640XL as well. But if want to upgrade now or in near future, there is hardly any option.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

for continuum - the other options aren't available in India like Nuans neo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria