What do you think about the CShell?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
IDK, I think its more like a way to turn a buck, because apple has its consumers by the janglies, held in a little gilded cage.

Devs stop making 32 bit apps, everyone HAS to move to the later OSes. Unless, shudder, they leave the apple ecosystem. Where would they go! *chuckles*

So there is a reason to write bited specific software, and to write your OS to be exclusive. To juice the wallets of your consumers :p

lol, true. I should have been more specific and said there is no technical reason.

Note however that devs wouldn't have to stop creating 32 bit apps. Apple is just not listing them in the app store. I'm not sure how that will play out, but if a lack of 32 bit apps in the store forces people to update to newer hardware, then it's definitely about the money. If that's not how it plays out (the less likely scenario IMHO), then forcing the availability of a 64 bit version of every app is just about matching bitedness of the app to the OS.

Last edited:

HBLEY

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Its "composable shell", a single adaptive shell/UI across all windows devices. So your mobile phone is identical to your desktop when plugged into a monitor, you can change between an entertainment interface and a productivity interface in windows desktop and on gaming consoles, possibly something in between for tablets, and a separate shell for the incoming dual screen Andromeda device.

It, in addition to UWP, and onecore, is part of the whole "single windows operating system" philosophy Microsoft is working towards long term.

So you have:

One core (same across all Microsoft devices)

The platform specific code/software stack

Composable shell

This way, all windows shares everything but the middle layer, which I suppose they may start to unify once the others are unified - eventually leading to a single "windows" that runs on everything, and just behaves differently depending on whats needed.

Oh I see now. Thanks for the details.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
When CShell comes out, what's to stop everyone from just hacking the registry and getting it?

Well, it could just not work because of missing drivers. Even a Lumia 520 can run the Creators Update but who knows what will change with the underlaying structure in future W10M builds

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it will do much. Honestly I find the MS Apps have a more fluid experience on my shiny new Iphone than on either my 950xl or X3. (Though I like Outlook on W10M better than on Iphone.)

I don't know the details yet, but my guess is that devs will need to build to a CShell spec and have compile scripts focused on CShell also. That will probably be as popular as WUP apps are today.

I hate outlook on iphone. Its no different than iphones stock email app. I love it on w10m.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I hate outlook on iphone. Its no different than iphones stock email app. I love it on w10m.

Really? I've been happy, except for the fact that I can't pin the calendar icon to the home screen.

I use outlook with my corporate account. Also, we will deprecate ActiveSync in the next year so I will have to use outlook.

One thing on Outlook I've used heavily the past 20 or so years is the ability to drag an email over to my calendar to create an event. I use it even more now as I have close to 30 direct reports and no intermediate supervisors.

I should also mention that I get between 400 and 700 emails a day. Most are CC's on things I need to be aware of but do not need further action or reply. Probably close to 100 are items I need to save and require follow up in a given time. These can be vendor information, purchase issues, performance evaluations, stuff my staff are doing that I need to review in a given time, or something I need to remember for my manager later.

On WM10 I've been asking.for a schedule feature and now have it on Ios.

4a083e3b48bec45315f36ad8a78d5f47.jpg

I can set a swipe option to create a schedule. I just did this right now with an email I need to follow up on next week.

633d58a7351e7d5b9a1f5146780a72b1.jpg

I

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
C-Shell to the current generation of Windows 10 Mobile users is pointless. It's really for some future device.
Why is it written in 32 bit then, when new chipsets are all 64 bit?
In summary, whether the device being used to demonstrate CShell integrates a 32 bit or a 64 bit CPU is entirely meaningless.

We spent a dozen posts arguing over whether or not CShell being demonstrated on a 32 bit device suggested CShell would run on existing Lumias. You thought MS would not develop and demonstrate CShell on a Lumia 950 if they didn't also plan for CShell to eventually run on it. Why otherwise make the extra effort to target 32 bit devices, when all newer SoCs are 64 bit only?

I told you there is no additional effort involved for targeting 32 bit devices. I told you that CShell being demonstrated on a 32 bit device meant squat in terms of the hardware CShell would eventually officially run on.

As previously mentioned, the hardware CShell is developed and demonstrated on is pretty irrelevant (as it should be), because being a UI component means it is as far removed from low-level hardware concerns as any part of the OS can be. Since CShell never interacts directly with hardware, it can easily be moved from one hardware platform to another without requiring any modifications at all. More importantly, a Lumia 950 is stable and developers can intermittently and safely ignore all changes other developers make to the W10 branch. That makes the Lumia 950 a good development platform, even if CShell is never intended to run on it.

Low and behold:

It is true that for a while, Microsoft did continue compiling Redstone 3 builds of Windows 10 Mobile internally, but only to continue developing CShell on smaller, current engineering devices. However, I'm told that as of last month, that is no longer the case, as CShell is not coming to existing Windows phones.
source

CShell won't be coming to exiting 32 bit Lumias, despite the first demonstrations of CShell being on such devices.

Last edited:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Sad part as many have good points on here. Its a shame to know that Cshell is not coming to Windows 10 Mobile since they will not be any RS3 at least for the Current phones out there right now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it'll get scrapped with everything else at least on the mobile side

This is most definitely wrong.

MS could never release another mobile device again, and CShell still wouldn't get scrapped. Why? Because CShell will become the launcher for most (all?) versions of Windows, including the desktop, Hololens and mobile devices.

CShell is an UWP based launcher (the future UWP based counterpart of today's Win32 based launcher named explorer.exe). As such, CShell is "just" another (bundled-with-windows) UWP app that supports Contiuum. Nothing more. It won't get scrapped, but it might be a while until we see it on a mobile device.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luiandovaf