What does August 2nd really mean to phone owners?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
YAAAYY HOORAY Aug 2nd is almost here. But does it really matter? We are all anticipating the Anniversary update, but can we expect carriers to allow the updates through without holding it up for "testing" or "lets see how many owners we can get on a device we make more money on"? Yes, its not firmware, but I still have yet to see the new firmware on my 950XL ds or the wifes 950 on AT&T. The carriers have too much control, IMO, but that's a different thread.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You know carriers have no say on the OS, right? So when August 2nd comes, all devices, no matter where, what carrier, or device, is getting updated.

Carriers only have a say in firmware updates because that can mess with a device's radio.

By the way, I'm also waiting on the latest firmware too for my 950 XL. At least it's on the WDRT now (sadly, not the one for your wife's 950, because the firmware does mess with the radio, and AT&T does have a say on it).

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
You know carriers have no say on the OS, right? So when August 2nd comes, all devices, no matter where, what carrier, or device, is getting updated.

Carriers only have a say in firmware updates because that can mess with a device's radio.

By the way, I'm also waiting on the latest firmware too for my 950 XL. At least it's on the WDRT now (sadly, not the one for your wife's 950, because the firmware does mess with the radio, and AT&T does have a say on it).

I have both 950 DS and 950XL DS and the firmware for both is on WDRT.

gbm97

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I wonder the same.
What will August 2nd bring?
As a fast ring insider I suspect no changes.
The changes will be seen by the non insiders.

Hopefully it goes over without to much drama.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a different part of the world where carriers are nobody. They can't control ****, and their only purpose is to give your service. However if I were in the US, I'd go insider and just go around their barrier.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
However if I were in the US, I'd go insider and just go around their barrier.

Mobile 10 Mobile doesn't work this way. OS updates come directly from Microsoft, so the carriers don't have a say in it and can't hold it up. It's only the small amount of functionality in the firmware that needs to go through carrier approval.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For me, as a L640 owner. it could be great or bad. Imo, the native Windows 10 Mobile phones have the best advantage. At least over my 640. I can't recall if the swiping keyboard is slow or not on a native W10M phone.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Windows 10 updates have been held up on devices that are capable, some by months. So sorry, the carrier absolutely does control updates. MS cant, and we cant expect the average Joe Blow to install WDRT to get the update. Nor can we expect them to install Insider to get it.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Im laughing at the misnomer that ATT, Verizon, Tmobile cant hold up OS updates.... Guys, this has happened again and again and again. Yet again and again and again we seem to have memory loss. They held 7.8, 8, 8.1, and now theyve held 10. Some devices JUST got 10 like 6weeks ago.

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
As an ATT 830 owner the update means nothing to me unless I go Insider. I doubt we will ever see the 10 upgrade approved for our phones.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
My wifes AT&T 950 will be wiped with WDRT on Aug 1st. If Aug 2nd-4th come and she gets the update, I have no issue posting that I was incorrect. But that doesnt mean that the Icon on Verizon that took FOREVER to get 10, and the other devices that are 10 compatible, will get it the day of or soon after.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You guys are missing the point. Once the device is on Windows 10, the carriers have no more say for OS updates.

Getting that initial release of Windows 10 seems to be a sticking point for some, but if the device is already on 10, there's no more holdup for non-firmware updates.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
You guys are missing the point. Once the device is on Windows 10, the carriers have no more say for OS updates.

Getting that initial release of Windows 10 seems to be a sticking point for some, but if the device is already on 10, there's no more holdup for non-firmware updates.

Im truly hoping thats the case... Would love to be wrong lol.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Im laughing at the misnomer that ATT, Verizon, Tmobile cant hold up OS updates.... Guys, this has happened again and again and again. Yet again and again and again we seem to have memory loss. They held 7.8, 8, 8.1, and now theyve held 10. Some devices JUST got 10 like 6weeks ago.

Yeah, but once on 10, they receive updates just as often as other devices.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but once on 10, they receive updates just as often as other devices.

Again, truly hoping thats the case being that the OS is built that way. Im taking a "believe it when i see it" approach. I agree, from what we have read, it shouldnt be an issue. But, its obvious we are the step kids of the carriers. We live in an age when just because something should be, doesnt mean it will be. We have been kicked around for years, I just need to see it. Im sure im not the only one lol.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Again, truly hoping thats the case being that the OS is built that way. Im taking a "believe it when i see it" approach. I agree, from what we have read, it shouldnt be an issue. But, its obvious we are the step kids of the carriers. We live in an age when just because something should be, doesnt mean it will be. We have been kicked around for years, I just need to see it. Im sure im not the only one lol.

Yup, once on 10, the carrier can only hold an update if it changes the radio stack, which is now isolated from the other stack*(s)...

Here is how Microsoft can push OS updates to Windows 10 Mobile without carriers now (and forever) | Windows Central

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad I live in Scandinavia (DK), where the carriers have absolutely no say. They either provide the service or they don't. That is also the reason I never buy a locked phone. Well, come to think of it, I doubt you could even get a locked phone these days.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Easy way to verify either way, just check what the current OS version carrier locked W10M phones are running. Since updates are released every month that should indicate how much say any carrier has over OS updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion