What does "Gaming" really means to you?

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

WHAT DOES GAMING MEAN TO YOU?
Inspired by my recent post in the Destiny thread I decided to create a collection of our feelings. It's a simple question, what does gaming truly mean to each one of you?

Gaming, like many things, can be anything in the eye of the Gamer. To some it can be an art, to others a sport. This is really a vital part of many kids lives. Lets think about this, the average human watches ~40 hours of TV a week. Not many people in the world question this. That's a full time job sitting away in front of a Television. Now if I told the average human that I, as a 22 year old man, play ~40 hours a week of video games, people seem to have a problem. What the world isn't understanding, like tech, is that younger consumers are beginning to take gaming more seriously and invest longer periods of time into it.

It's not uncommon since TV and Sporting events were seen the same way quite some time ago. It's also not uncommon to hear "Gaming is my escape" anymore either. If you just think about it for a second it makes sense why we should relate video games to other forms of media. Most games present a fantasy environment that puts you in control of the Hero. It makes the outside world drown out, and draws you into something you never thought possible. It provides you with robust environments, compelling characters, and a sense of just pure epicness. Yes, I said it, EPICNESS. These are commonly found in TV and movie's as well. However one things that sets video games apart is they're interactive, keeping your motor skills in tune since hand-eye coordination is key element. In my opinion, I also feel more like a badass saving a galaxy with a controller vs watching someone else do it, but maybe it's just me.

So I walk into a bar and a man wearing an Patriots jersey watching the TV ask me what's my team as I'm aimlessly staring into the Twitch app on my phone. My reply "Final Boss 06 of course". Let me tell you that too the average person, they don't handle that well. Why is it that we're so blind? A Sport is a Sport. They both have rules and regulations, players, coaches, sponsors, money, training, free agents, brackets, seasons, and fans. Most importantly is the last one. You watch a sport, and so do I. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting behind a screen watching a person sitting in front of one, he's competing an extraordinary level for a lot of money. Yeah he's not making NFL money, but he's bringing in some high roller cash. A lot of people reply with "Gaming is to easy" and to my reply, play me then. If most of the players I played against can't handle me, then there's a chance you'll never even make it to the venue to compete. Gaming also has coaches with years of experience. Some of these mentors have been in the sport longer than I've been born. Sponsors also regularly sign deals with people to use an exclusive product, which gets the player a lot of money on top of that winning cash stack. Every year multiple leagues have seasons which makes it a continuous sport playing live all year round. I don't understand how someone in a Cyber day and age can honestly say they don't consider gaming a sport.

TO ANSWER THE QUESTION
Gaming to me is my passion. My love for gaming goes beyond what most have for it. It's my hobby, my escape, my sport and my love. I don't honestly know what I would do without it. I've spent years building online friendships as well as spending thousands of hours with neighbors across all Xbox generations. I wake up, go to work, come home and hop on the Xbox. It's just something that come naturally. I don't follow any physical sports teams, but I can throw out Halo Statistics of almost any Top 32 player. I've figuratively travelled the country for this passion as you may just look at the screen and see a normal video game, but I see something that's much more.​

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For me personally, gaming is entertainment such as watching a movie or reading a book. It's a hobby. I've never been a so called pro-gamer, I rather consider myself a casual gamer, even though I started playing video games about 30 years ago. Nowadays, being fully employed and a father of 4 kids, I don't have much spare time left, so I find myself playing games on my smartphone, as they don't require as much time as games on a console or computer.

From the perspective of a father, things are a little bit different though. My two oldest sons (14 and 12) each have a smartphone and share a computer, iPod, tablet and an Xbox 360. My youngest son and my daughter (4 and 2) have a VTech V-Smile, which is a console like learning thing. The younglings spend like 1 or 2 hours a week playing on the V-Smile. The two big guys spend roughly 10 to 15 hours a week playing on whatever device they want. Unlike my wife, I do know that playing video games can have positive effects on reaction, hand-eye coordination, even concentration and creativty. All depending on what games you play. But I much agree with my wife that school/education comes first. Then comes time with friends. And by that I mean playing outside or whatever, definitely not playing video games. ;) We actually try and keep things in a good balance.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Gaming is a pretty integral part of my life, primarily because I don't have as much freedom as a regular kid at my age does.

In all honesty, the great storylines of games, the quotes, the music and depth that every character has made gaming a passion for me.

I won't go into a lot more detail, but I'll share a quote from one of my favorite games(Fallout):

1409662167847.jpg

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I play poker, bingo, tetris, and Another Case Solved on my PC. I am not a gamer.

To me, gaming is living for a few (or several) hours at a time in another world. My 17 yo daughter is a gamer and I support that. We don't have a game console, but with so many great MMORPGs available on PC, the PC she got for her 16th birthday had to be a game machine - large screen, extreme graphics and more RAM. Until recently, WoW and WoW companion sites absorbed hours every day, but as guildies fell away, her interest waned. Now, Steam is where I find her most days.

Recently, she joined an old-fashioned, analog Dungeons & Dragons group at a local hobby store and has discovered that it's even more fun playing RPGs face-to-face. She mentioned that there are so many running gags (eg, Leroy Jenkins) and quips that people don't share online when using chat or team VOIP.

I agree with dKp1977 about the benefits of gaming. Also, I recently read an article about how D&D has influenced creativity for game devs and authors alike (that plus the social opportunities with true peers is one of the reasons we sought out a D&D group). I've also read and agree with articles that discuss the problem solving, critical thinking, and team building skills developed through many RPGs and how employers are actually finding gamers to be very desirable team members.

How do I support my daughter's passion? I feed her with an eye on the clock so she doesn't miss scheduled events. I drive her to D&D events and kick back solving Sudoku puzzles while she's rolling dice (I could participate, but there are some things you should be able to enjoy without your mom hanging around). I replenish her PayPal debit card for new games and DLC. And I listen as she describes things that I can only get the vaguest picture of in my mind. I would wish for every gamer to have family like me. :)

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It isn't so much about Mario and Zelda - but the stories that reside within and around those cartridges and discs ;)

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My answer would be:

1. Competition.
2. Adventure.

Competition, it used to be back then where me and my siblings "compete" on who will finish Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Kage, Ninja Gaiden, Contra on a NES without using cheats.

Now, guess what game is always launch on my XB1?

Its Killer Instinct, after PC gaming my second Gaming "venue" is the Arcade, I love competing on the Tekken, Marvel vs. Capcom etc machines. This is the reason that I really don't like Console controllers, but am warming up now on the Analog stick controllers of the XB1. Might get a Razer Atrox in the future.

Adventure, this is why my answer to the "favorite game of all time thread" here is Crono Trigger, FFVI etc, this is why I am hoping to get a PS4 too or wish that XB1 could get lots of support from JRPG creators.

Am loving Tomb Raider: DE, BattleField4(yes I like the Campaign/Story mode :D). Story lines of the games are important to me so I can be immersed. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos