What has happened to Windows 10m?

boldlikeus

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
The Samsung Offical ROM is terrible no matter what's version on S2. However the XDA CM ROMs are amazing on S2, I've put CM12(5.1.1) onto an old S2 and it runs way better than my ATIV S on W10M, it's faster/smoother, less crash/memory leak, web browser running like cream compared to the pathetic edge and it's actually one year older than the oldest WP8 device. That showed how amazing a proper tuned OS can be even on old device and how much the WP/WM platform now are away from the original image (resources saving, fast...etc)

Yep that's the point optimizing an OS as the CM team did with Android show how far we can go with optimization.

Today most of the developers don't takes times to do it cause they're more lazy than the olders.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Offical ROM is terrible no matter what's version on S2. However the XDA CM ROMs are amazing on S2, I've put CM12(5.1.1) onto an old S2 and it runs way better than my ATIV S on W10M, it's faster/smoother, less crash/memory leak, web browser running like cream compared to the pathetic edge and it's actually one year older than the oldest WP8 device. That showed how amazing a proper tuned OS can be even on old device and how much the WP/WM platform now are away from the original image (resources saving, fast...etc)

I used cm, pac man, etc and all were terrible.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with Windows 10, you either like it or you don't, but you can;t take something that was really built for something else and install it on an old phone and really expect it to work like the new phone does. I don't care what OS you are running Android, Apple or Windows, there are problems when you try updating an older device to a new version. And not everyone uses their phones the same or runs the same app's, so what works for me might not work the same for you, and Microsoft has made this very, very, very plain, not all older models will be able to run Windows 10 and some that can will have problems. And I'm sorry, but really, you download a new operating system, update all your app's, and you find it strange that you have to do a hard reset? I just updated my brother inlaws 640 to Windows10 installed his back up from his 920, runs like a dream, my M8 runs like a dream on Windows 10, My wifes 950 with installed back up from her 1520 runs great, Like I said, you either like 10 or you don't.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with Windows 10, you either like it or you don't, but you can;t take something that was really built for something else and install it on an old phone and really expect it to work like the new phone does. I don't care what OS you are running Android, Apple or Windows, there are problems when you try updating an older device to a new version. And not everyone uses their phones the same or runs the same app's, so what works for me might not work the same for you, and Microsoft has made this very, very, very plain, not all older models will be able to run Windows 10 and some that can will have problems. And I'm sorry, but really, you download a new operating system, update all your app's, and you find it strange that you have to do a hard reset? I just updated my brother inlaws 640 to Windows10 installed his back up from his 920, runs like a dream, my M8 runs like a dream on Windows 10, My wifes 950 with installed back up from her 1520 runs great, Like I said, you either like 10 or you don't.

That would be the first time; I never had problems with older devices and newer operating systems, and I have devices more than five years old, but with one exception: Acer Iconia W510 and just because of "further optimized" drivers by Acer (with the two oldest drivers the device works too).

As for phones, I do not know why some peeps have so much trouble with their devices but on all supported devices in our family the new Window works fine.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Īf you are runnīng Windows 10 Mobile ōn unsupported hardware then you cannot complain about the performance.

I am testing the latest insider build on a Lumia 640 and it runs cine. I have left my 950 on the production build.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Except when you tell your users that they will get an upgrade...

https://twitter.com/Lumia/status/532914535263641600

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
the twitter post clearly reads "plan to upgrade"

well, plans changed. in no way does it said they "WILL". just buy a native 10m phone.
Oh yes they did and they did it on an official presentation

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...icrosoft-cheated-lumia-users.html#post3440921

But it's already done(dead?) deal and kudos for MSFT so no need to further discuss.

And yes I know we shouldn't expect much from an unsupported device on preview build (Ironically this unofficially, unsupported compromise is the only way officially suggested for old devices to survive) even it's not packing much new features(if not less) into it over wp8.1, however I think it's fair for user who had PAID for the device to feel disappoint towards the MSFT first-party RD team for a awful work(not only the w10m situation but also the slow development pace in the past three years) compare to XDA third-party team who given better quality ROM for FREE.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrinceM

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I find it really hard to believe people saying that they have no bugs and that their W10M device works perfect ... Either you are not using your phone or you are just trolling us.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I find it really hard to believe people saying that they have no bugs and that their W10M device works perfect ... Either you are not using your phone or you are just trolling us.

Did people here really say that all works perfectly?! I do not think so.
I have problems, yep, but they are not too bad; a bit embarrassing as Cortana is unstable on my device and has some problems with my Bluetooth devices. With Location enabled the battery drain is bad (meaning a loss of 1% to 3% per hour). Some Apps are slow, like the Windows Central one, but that seems to be a problem of these apps and not of Windows. While recording a video with my 930 the audio is somewhat low but all speakers seem to work, anyway, that would be a hardware problem.

So, why should I join in this Windows-10-Mobile-is-bad-quire?

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

Or quite possibly and most likely,their experience is better than yours. It's much like the issues with the so called bend gate with iphones or the alleged lag with android. While the later can be easily proven, both situations find people experiencing different things.

I discovered on the Redstone insider builds, my phone does not work great at all. On the release preview version, however, it works just perfectly fine :) suggesting I don't use my phone or I'm trolling is disingenuous :)

Misayuki

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Did people here really say that all works perfectly?! I do not think so.
I have problems, yep, but they are not too bad; a bit embarrassing as Cortana is unstable on my device and has some problems with my Bluetooth devices. With Location enabled the battery drain is bad (meaning a loss of 1% to 3% per hour). Some Apps are slow, like the Windows Central one, but that seems to be a problem of these apps and not of Windows. While recording a video with my 930 the audio is somewhat low but all speakers seem to work, anyway, that would be a hardware problem.

So, why should I join in this Windows-10-Mobile-is-bad-quire?

I've discovered you area freak if you don't label this os badly :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think all of us have our own issues on Windows 10 Mobile, depending on the device itself and insider program ring.

For example, on my 950Xl on the Fast ring, the latest build, whilst stable, does occasionally give me a random restart or apps force close or fail to open entirely.

For this, I just find alternate applications that work and do the same job. There are some issues I cannot fix though as they are the fault of the OS and for those I just post on here like everyone else and wait for a new build.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

every phone has their own settings, apps and setup patterns. What works for one might not work for another. Cortana isn't available for the majority of countries and hence if you don't have Cortana, you don't have Cortana related bugs and issues. Some phones are open, not locked to carriers thus their issues are also fewer. Some people have fewer apps and use the phone less than others thus their chances of running into bugs is also lower. I don't use the Edge browser so I haven't experience bugs with Edge. Bugs and issues will be seen the more you use the phone, the more you use apps, the higher number of apps etc.

Perhaps additionally, people have their own definitions of what counts as a bug/issue. Messaging takes 5 seconds to open can be a bug for one user but usual for someone else.

thinkdan

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
On a whim, I fired up my old Titan II running WP7. The speed difference is amazing. Photos, Email, People, Games, Calendar, Settings..they all open immediately on the Titan II.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motorola Q9H, Samsung Focus, HTC Titan II, Lumia 925, Lumia 640, Lumia 950
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funny how, with all the improvements, the experience was better back then.

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Funny how, with all the improvements, the experience was better back then.

We're probably comparing a couple of different beasts though. The Windows 7 version was probably a polished product, whereas for many of us Windows 10 is development version and, if not, hasn't caught up with the desktop version, which was released some months in advance.

The Windows 10 version is also potentially able to do much more than Windows 7 did, so the OS itself isn't fully like for like. If we'd wanted to remain with a good but limited core OS then we'd probably not be running a handset with 10 now, as many - though not all - of us are using 10 as we're early adopters and like to be somewhat at the cutting edge of what's possible (warts and all).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria