What is ONE Xbox Live feature we still don't have that you really wish we did?

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Universal device support, ie. keyboards, flight sticks, racing wheels, etc.

Parental controls that actually work, like on the 360. I have hour limits and time of day limits set for my son. When he reaches them, a warning pops up but then nothing else happens. He just keeps on playing.

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
When is the Xbox One going to get flight stick support like the PS4?? Since the Xbox One is based on the Windows 10 OS, it should be pretty easy fix.

MorganRW

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so this isn't specifically an Xbox Live rant, but here goes:

Xbox needs full mouse and keyboard support, at least in the non-game parts of the UI. And I suppose I'd like to see Bluetooth support along with that, at least as an option for non-gaming audio and peripherals. The thing is, I use my Xbox One as a media device probably more than I do as a gaming machine. I like that I can use the Chatpad as a keyboard, and it's cool that I can plug wired headphones into the controller, but that controller is literally covered with buttons and triggers that can destroy my watching/listening experience with one errant touch. I still have a few HTPCs around my home, and I much prefer the way I can simply use any pair of Bluetooth headphones I want.

I'd also like to see improvements in Cortana-based voice commands throughout the UI. My nearby Alexa-powered Echo Dot puts the Cortana-powered Xbox voice commands to shame, both in terms of responsiveness and natural interactivity. At the very least, they need to come up with a way that saying "Hey Cortana" isn't required between literally. every. freaking. command. Also, they need to figure out a way to stagger Cortana-powered voice interactions across multiple devices. For instance, when I say, "Hey Cortana," within earshot of my Xbox, Windows phone, and PC, they all go into full-blown panic mode, and typically two of the three come back with "I'm sorry, I can't do this right now. Check back again after future updates." Ideally, one of those needs to tell the other two, "I got this." Maybe even a priority you can assign to devices. Something.

They absolutely must figure out a better way for families to share content. I don't think I really appreciated the importance of this until I had multiple Xboxes in my home. For instance, the Xbox in my living room is my home console, but when my kids want to play Overwatch against each other, then I have to log into the secondary console first and then switch to my son's profile, so he can play. This is because I own the actual license for the game. And if my Kinect happens to see me wandering back through the living room in the middle of a match, then it instantly logs me out upstairs and ruins the kids' match. Sure, I could buy separate licenses for each kid, but c'mon! While I appreciate the need to properly license and restrict content, there should be some kind of inclusive family licensing that balances the ability for a reasonable number of simultaneous instances to be run by anyone in the family.

There needs to be some way to guarantee input consistency for the soft keyboard/voice stuff. Some apps still use that weird, Xbox 360-era linear keyboard, while others like YouTube seem to roll their own entirely, which doesn't offer any kind of voice support. Either force app publishers to support the system-level keyboard, or provide some way of overriding it in apps that don't provide uniform support. If mobile apps aren't allowed to customize the input UI, then Xbox apps shouldn't be able to do it, either.

Come with a simpler way for me to buy games for my kids. I might like to give my son his own digital copy of Overwatch (see above rant), but as soon as the Store sees it's already installed on the console (albeit under my login), then it replaces the "Buy" link with "Launch." It doesn't even provide an option to purchase it again. Regardless, the few times I have actually purchased content for my kids under their profiles, it has required me awkwardly putting a set amount of money in their MSAs from my credit card, which they can then spend on the game. I should be able to buy a specific title for someone else, and then just give them a code for it.

I actually really like the parental control stuff, but it's too focused on me physically logging into the console to grant exceptions and extensions. My kids should be able to send a request, which I can pick up and respond to via my phone (either through the Xbox app or just a simple web form).

Yes to the family usage and licensing. If there are more than one Xbox on the same network, then logging into one should be like logging into all of them. This would be great so you could log in on one xBox and access content from any other room. Imagine pausing a game/movie/music and picking it up in another room with a second xBox. A step further, I would like to see support for separated families where then the child splits time between parents. They should be able to play all of their games/music/movies regardless of which parent they are staying with. Should also be able to allow both parents to receive the weekly usage summary as well as control authorization. And yes to parental control over xbox app on phone instead of needing to grab a controller. Also I would like to see family plans for Groove Music.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to see either a pro version of the Xbox One X that can support 3 1080p monitors or like a system link that they had with Forza on the 360 where you can have multiple consoles each displaying a different camera angle. (preferably the latter, 18 Tflops for 4K surround only $1500, not having to deal with dodgy SLi. Thank you very much!)

Also, as others have said, DVR, and Groove should have the same kind of sharing that Office has, nominating up to 4 other users but limiting the number of devices is cool with me.

I also would like to see some kind of Platinum or Ultimate subscription that includes Groove, XBL, Game Pass, EA Access and hopefully some kind of deal to get so many free rentals or box sets included. Even if it just cost the same as all those services added together.

Finally, I'd like to see the ability to download games, or at least copy them to a NAS. Even if you have to copy them to the internal or an attached drive before you play them. Saves having to cart around Drives or buying double the storage to store the same things on.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd say Kinect Kinect Kinect, but I guess realistically, if the Xbox One X itself had just the multi-array mic built into it to handle Cortana commands like the Amazon Echo does, I'll throw away my Echo.

Too bad it doesn't. Alexa will continue to live for now.

And for all our sake, add that KB/Mouse support and let true console/pc cross platform gaming become a reality.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so this isn't specifically an Xbox Live rant, but here goes:

Xbox needs full mouse and keyboard support, at least in the non-game parts of the UI. And I suppose I'd like to see Bluetooth support along with that, at least as an option for non-gaming audio and peripherals. The thing is, I use my Xbox One as a media device probably more than I do as a gaming machine. I like that I can use the Chatpad as a keyboard, and it's cool that I can plug wired headphones into the controller, but that controller is literally covered with buttons and triggers that can destroy my watching/listening experience with one errant touch. I still have a few HTPCs around my home, and I much prefer the way I can simply use any pair of Bluetooth headphones I want.

Never tried a mouse, don't think that works, but keyboard support works fine with the Xbox dashboard UI. that was tested at some point during Xbox Insider Preview last year and rolled out in the fall update or something like that. I use a keyboard exclusively for reporting bugs and writing reviews. Navigating around with the keyboard arrows and "enter" for A does the job for the most part.

Last edited:

MG-xps

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
My list for Xbox/Microsoft in general - some of these features may exist but they are not easily identifiable to the average punter

DVR capabilities - one of the main reasons I went Xbox
Dynamic themes - coming for x I think?
Scheduled restart option for console (auto restart once a week, Saturday 4am etc)
Eject Disc with Controller, control volume with controller
Shop - /wish list, game gifting, better searching, by publisher, genre, on special, recommended by friends etc
Microsoft Films and TV for android, android app very slow to load
better Family access / 2 primary devices , one S and one X both as primary both playing at same time
update to mixer to share directly to friend list only - hey Jeff come watch me play far cry primal
more prominent headphone connected in chat symbol / other person talking

JasonH81

May 17, 2012
Visit site
So Microsoft has been adding tons of new features to Xbox Live over time, we now have Arena tournaments and custom gamerpics, to name just a couple.

However, there's still tons of features that PSN and Steam and other gaming platforms have that Xbox Live is still missing. What are some of your biggest feature requests?

For me, I really want to see gifting and wishlists hit Xbox Live, they could throw in basket purchasing too so we don't have to go around individually selecting different movies/games during sales etc. What do you think?

Honestly, I want the ability to share directly to my social media of choice, at least Facebook.

The ability to stream a game to my PC or tablet, but still have the passthrough showing the tv

buzzard75

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
In no particular order:

1. DVR
2. Better/more voice navigation
3. Bring back Xbox Fitness
4. More content for Kinect
5. Mouse and keyboard support
6. Digital game pricing that matches or beats physical pricing

Travis Flenker

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
In no particular order:

1. DVR
2. Better/more voice navigation
3. Bring back Xbox Fitness
4. More content for Kinect
5. Mouse and keyboard support
6. Digital game pricing that matches or beats physical pricing

I agree with all of these. #6 has always blown my mind. For me, there's no point to owning a physical copy of a game... especially when you have to download 10GBs worth of updates to play anyway. Seems like a digital version should be at least a few dollars cheaper based on not having to pay for the disc, packaging, and distribution.

Also, I'd add speed. The interface has gotten better but still a little clunky. Anything you open, however, takes too long to load. I know this will get better with the X, but the current hardware is plenty capable of doing things faster.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm in modern technology. Google and Microsoft are both terrible with taking away things that I frequently use, then calling it a new "feature".

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1. Universal search (bring it back).
I want to be able to type in a movie/tv show and see everywhere that it is available.

2. I want to be able to seamlessly share media from my surface/edge browser to the browser on my Xbox. Similar to how YouTube apps can share media to a television.

gar216

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
1. Universal search (bring it back).
I want to be able to type in a movie/tv show and see everywhere that it is available.

2. I want to be able to seamlessly share media from my surface/edge browser to the browser on my Xbox. Similar to how YouTube apps can share media to a television.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
DVR. Only MS can tick off the gamers by promising to make this entertainment central, then tick of those that bought it for that by not delivering. I've also thought that support for PC web cams would be great to allow voice interaction and rudimentary sight apabilities (Skype, Hello-ish), since Kinect games really haven't caught on. Not saying drop Kinect, just support web cams. I do use Kinect for family Skype chats, kids, grandkids.

Richard Barrass

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Re-invest in Kinect... after loving as a family the joy of Kinect based games on the 360, it was a no brainer when the One was released to think 'hey, it comes with an improved Kinect - cool'...

But since then, there have been no real support for Kinect -- even the original sports games (which our daughter loved playing) weren't ported (and won't be part of the backwards compatibility due to 'different Kinect hardware'!)

I agree with a previous comment - the family protection is overly complicated - and worse when you add the licensing of games on top.

It would be nice if as the 'parent' Live ID on the machine, I could monitor via the Xbox app and if authorisation requests are needed. I can do it via that app.

Full DVR -- again, another reason for the Xbox One - complete with Microsoft OTA dongle to receive (British) Terrestrial digital broadcasts... the hard drive is plugged in ready!

eroc1990

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm still waiting for the XBox One to be a Miracast receiver so that I can project my Surface onto my TV via the XBox without using some external dongle. Windows 10 PCs can be a receiver. Why can't the XBox One do the same since it is running Windows 10 as well? Why didn't the "Wireless Display" app ever ship?
Can't you do that with the wireless display app?

hyjuki87

May 29, 2014
Visit site
So Microsoft has been adding tons of new features to Xbox Live over time, we now have Arena tournaments and custom gamerpics, to name just a couple.

However, there's still tons of features that PSN and Steam and other gaming platforms have that Xbox Live is still missing. What are some of your biggest feature requests?

For me, I really want to see gifting and wishlists hit Xbox Live, they could throw in basket purchasing too so we don't have to go around individually selecting different movies/games during sales etc. What do you think?

Home Automation Hub. It's why i bought it in the first place. Still nothing, despite the world of HA moving on so rapidly... or maybe i need to look again??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124