What is your current fitness level?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why fitness level never updated after first calculation.
Well, I had some "soft" trainings that calculated a "high" value of 39.4 (which in reality is medium/low). After that calculation I had at lest other 5 trainings, very hard, classified as "Strenuous" but the VO2 max remained always the same... I don't expect it to jump at stars or something like that, but how is it possible that it never changed of a small 0.1?

For the amount of time that this feature has been available in the Microsoft Health Dashboard, there probably hasn't been enough data to change your rating. I just read a bit about VO2 max and it looks like this would explain why you haven't seen any change in the score yet, depending on the accuracy of your initial results.

These scores can improve with training and decrease with age, though the degree of trainability also varies very widely: conditioning may double VO2 max in some individuals, and will never improve it in others. In one study, 10% of participants showed no benefit after completing a 20-week conditioning program, although the other 90% of the test subjects all showed substantial improvements in fitness to varying degree.​

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Well today (finally) my V02 max showed up on the dashboard! Very high, 40.3. Clearly some room for improvement there. I guess 40 odd years of smoking takes a toll. Would have been interesting to know what it was a year (and 40 pounds) ago when I first quit and started working out!

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I think the issue for me is probably related to a lot of missed 1min/2min recovery heart rate data.
You may have a point. On a bike ride how do you get this to record. If you have GPS on you have to end your ride to halt the GPS drift. I keep the band on my wrist for ages but still the 2min recovery does not show. If I leave the activity running after I have stopped it never registers as having stopped so will not show the recovery data.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
before you press the stop button, ensure you have a solid heart rate signal then DON'T MOVE lol, cause it seems really easy for it to lose track of the heart rate :)

Usually for me, I hit stop right after a work out and I'm immediately rolling on the floor trying to recover, chugging water, washing hands and whoops blank 1min/2min heart rates.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Anthony. I think the trouble arises with the fact that the bike ride is with GPS so it is very difficult to stop the ride as even the s;lightest movement can cause the GPS to drift, especially indoors.

Next ride I am going to stop motionless and see if I can get a 2 min reading.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Indoor cycling, why turn on GPS? I never used BIKE mode but for run mode it asks if you want gps tracking enabled or not.

When you say GPS drift, you mean it the location is all wrong? That sounds really weird. I did a run around the block once and it hugged the block pretty good! So I'm surprised the bike is pretty nuts considering your arms are swinging when running.

wp_ss_20150515_0002.jpg

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
This is bogus...
"To get an estimate of your fitness level, a few new run or bike workouts with elevated heart rate are required (a minimum of five new workouts are required for the initial estimate)."

Only calculates running and biking VOx?

I workout 5 days/wk and NOTHING.... I only run rarely by exception and stationary bikes doesn't appear to count. Further, I do cross-fit training where the Band setting is on simple workout, since its not running or biking. Anyone who has done cross-fit works know that the heart rate cardio demands are much more significant than just running or biking, unless one is in an all out sprinting mode.

I guess its people in Seattle only run or bike...

MS is lame....

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Anthony, I was not cycling indoors, it's just that I go indoors after my ride which confuses the GPS. By GPS drift I mean the fact that standing still and the GPS shows you moving sometimes as it changes locks on satellites. I am going to turn of the GPS at the end of my next ride and leave the band on for 10 mins to see if I get the 1 and 2 min hr show.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I now know that unless I get an ending HR plus a 1min and 2min reading, I will not get a VO2 max.
So for a GPS cycle how do I ensure this happens?

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Uhh you guys are all elite... I', almost ashamed to upload mine^^
Fitness_level.jpg

I started running again 2 weeks ago (thanks MS Band for motivating me) after 3 years of hiatus, ran 2x so far (plus tried some guided workouts in March, so I guess that's why my fitness level already shows up)

That's how a typical run looks like (that's in kilometers + pace is mins/km, NOT mile):
run_data.jpg

I thought I be at least 1 above moderate, in the middle :(

Last edited:

danckel

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Surprises me, though I do cycle 9Km each way to work. :)

For me it is almost the same: I bike only to work and back and this also seems to make me "elite".

It made me wonder: I was using my band with biking before there was a bike tile and recorded them as "runs". Could this old data mess up the fitness level measurement?

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I use my band for cycling and cannot find a way to get the 2min ending heart rate to show. Therefore it won't calculate my vo2 max.

Any ideas? I have tried sitting still after ride for 3 mins before and after I end the ride but I only ever get the 1 minute reading:(

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My level is 42.8 (very high)

I ran a half marathon the weekend before the VO2 max feature was added to the dashboard. The Band had to be sent in for warranty after the race, but apparently none of my previous runs could be used to calculate my VO2 max.

Finally this weekend I was able to complete my 5th workout since this feature was enabled. Four of my workouts were runs between 1 to 2.5 miles. The other workout was a biking workout for less than 3 minutes on a stationary bike. I just wanted to get some sort of workout recorded under biking even though I don't own a bike or do any actual biking. I wonder if that short session with no GPS data for biking had any effect on the accuracy of my VO2 max score. I've been taking it easy on my run training to let my legs heal after the half marathon, but I plan to start running more often this summer and I'll keep an eye on my VO2 max to see if it improves.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I use my band for cycling and cannot find a way to get the 2min ending heart rate to show. Therefore it won't calculate my vo2 max.

Any ideas? I have tried sitting still after ride for 3 mins before and after I end the ride but I only ever get the 1 minute reading:(

Since I started using the Band, I only get the 2 minute post-workout heart rate recorded about half the time, even when trying to open to the heart rate screen to verify that I have a lock for over 2 minutes after a workout. I just checked my 5 workouts that triggered the fitness level score, and 4 of the 5 actually do have the 2 minute heart rate. Using the regular exercise tracking, I've only got the 2 minute heart rate recorded on 1 of 2 workouts in that same time period.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Can someone elaborate on the 1 min and 2 min heartrate for bike rides? What is it and how do I get it? I have the 1 min for a few of my rides, but don't have the 2 min. on any as far as I can tell.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Can someone elaborate on the 1 min and 2 min heartrate for bike rides? What is it and how do I get it? I have the 1 min for a few of my rides, but don't have the 2 min. on any as far as I can tell.
David, that is my question too. Of the numerous bike rides I have done I only have the two minute rate on 2 rides. I cannot find a way to ensure it gets recorded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786