What is your native language?

Mihai N

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Another native Romanian here and besides English, I started forgetting French since I finished high school and during college there was a semester of german for beginners but I didn't take it seriously

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
My native language is Bengali but my education has been in English with Bengali and Hindi as second and third languages respectively.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Small deflection here.
I was wondering if the Borg have assimilated so many species why does the collective communicate in english?
Would they communicate with other opposing\threatening species in their native uttering?

What about species 8472 that has no language as we understand it because they reside in fluidic space?

Ah well...sorry about the wanderings.
Back to the original topic.

I do have a slightly western drawl and I do rely on slang quite a bit.
...not mention mild humor is comforting to me also.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if the Borg have assimilated so many species why does the collective communicate in english?
Would they communicate with other opposing\threatening species in their native uttering?

western drawl and I do rely on slang quite a bit.
...not mention mild humor is comforting to me also.

The borg are an advanced species. What language the collective speaks depends on the location of the listener (like all TV series). 😀

Hmmm a western drawl... and here I thought only southerners were allowed to have one of those.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The loophole that allows all species across the galaxy, other than 8472 for reasons mentioned above, to speak English is the Universal Translator. I guess it is the future of Skype's real-time translator maybe. Ha ha :D

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Spanglish has many different iterations. For example, if you were to say "don't let me down" it would be "no me embarques". Well, we would say "don't embarcate me". That's one way we've destroyed the Queen's English. The most common form is simply flipping between English and Spanish multiple times throughout a sentence. We do this subconsciously and don't even realize it until someone who's not bilingual points it out. I'm sure it happens among speakers of other languages, we've just made it an art form.
OK. But, as I already told, it's an art only from Your perspective, since every country has hundreds of dialects, and it's not worth of mentioning as a "native language".

StayClassy101

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've found amazing is the amount of language based keyboards and system wide language changes that can be made in windows 10. For me, US English and Albanian with some Serbo-Croatian.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well USA is about the size of Europe.... So differences by state/region can be like another country in Europe
Nope.

The USA is about twice the size of geographical Europe (although the USA is comparitively empty, i.e. has a smaller population).

More importantly, the size of a country has almost nothing to do with the variability in regional languages and dialects. Things like average mobility and cultural intermingling are far more important.

The main differences result from the fact that Europeans colonized the USA at a time when it was already possible to travel around the world. In Europe however, cultural boarders were drawn and languages and dialects developed when for most people, traveling 50 miles was the trip of a lifetime.

As a result, there is more language and dialect variability within a 100 mile radius of my home (Switzerland), than there is across the entire USA.

That is neither better nor worse, so don't take that as an offensive comment. It's just different.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope.

The USA is about twice the size of geographical Europe (although the USA is comparitively empty, i.e. has a smaller population).

More importantly, the size of a country has almost nothing to do with the variability in regional languages and dialects. Things like average mobility and cultural intermingling are far more important.

The main differences result from the fact that Europeans colonized the USA at a time when it was already possible to travel around the world. In Europe however, cultural boarders were drawn and languages and dialects developed when for most people, traveling 50 miles was the trip of a lifetime.

As a result, there is more language and dialect variability within a 100 mile radius of my home (Switzerland), than there is across the entire USA.

That is neither better nor worse, so don't take that as an offensive comment. It's just different.
You ever talked to a Cajun? You'd swear they're from outer space with their syntax.

Sent from Acer Switch 10 on mTalk

cactuspete23

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
The UK really does have a lot of different accents from town to town... Though maybe I can just tell that because English is my native language.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You ever talked to a Cajun? You'd swear they're from outer space with their syntax.

No, but I wish I had. 😀 Anyway, personal experience is not the source of what I stated above. It's a rather well established fact in the etymological field.

To those of you thinking I can't completely judge language variability in the US, I'd say that's true (although I've been pretty much everywhere in the U.S. except the south east, and have yet to meet someone I can't understand).

However, then also consider how well you've mastered any of the languages that are spoken accross the mountainous regions of Europe (like the alps, where hundreds of years ago mobility was very low), and how well you can judge language variability in those areas.... probably not at all.

You'll just have to trust me on this one. Language variability across the U.S. is very low compared to what I find in a 100 mile radius of my home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes