what made you choose Microsoft band over fitbit surge ?

Mohamed Abdul

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
well 2 of these fitness band are very similar. ms band do have more sensors but most of them don't show the data.(skin temp and gsr)
but all us here choose ms band. what made you guys choose ms band over fitbit

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Could the FitBit use Cortana, reply to text messages by keyboard or voice, show stocks, show UV burn time, show my scheduled appointments, guide you in a workout program or has a touchscreen with tiles similar to WP?

No.

Well, the thinker audience here made a good choice to opt for those aforementioned features while supporting their platform of choice and saved $50 in the process. It's better anyways.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had both of them. I still have the Band, but the Surge has been returned. Couldn't live with the lack of accuracy of the Surge. Phantom step count was ridiculous (yes, I know. All trackers pick up phantom steps from arm movements). Heart rate monitor was very inaccurate when doing any exercise other than walking/running, and not all that accurate then. Also had skin problems from the Surge's band.

Skaughtto

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
what made you choose Microsoft band over fitbit surge ?
uh... fanboyness, fanboytitude, fanboycity, fanboyishness, fanboyhood.

The number of accessories specifically built for the Windows Phone ecosystem is pretty small, so it seemed like a logical gadget to get to pair with my Lumia 925(no Bluetooth pun intended). The fitness aspect of the Band is just icing on the cake, but it does provide helpful information. It's nice to get some sort of estimate of the number of steps taken in a day along with a goal to try to meet. Sleep tracking has to be good for something beside bar graphs, right?

I've owned a Band for a month and I like it.

anon(9173271)

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the Surge, and just picked up a Band....

So far I vastly prefer the Band hardware... slimmer form factor, far better screen, and a wider array of sensors. I am also enjoying the additional functions (Weather, Starbucks, email, ability to personalize the Me Tile etc...)

Other things I am enjoying:

- Guided workouts
- Less delay on HR reading during a workout
-Far better sleep analysis
-Observations / insights are still in their infancy, but are still much ore than Fitbit is offering
- MSFT seems to be updating and adding to the platform / band far more frequently than Fitbit
- So far, under the assumption that MSFT will continue to improve things / add to functionality I am likely to keep the Band and sell the Surge...

This said, I am still trying to replicate some fitbit functionality that I am not (yet) finding with the band.
-Functional integration with My Fitness Pal (works great for me on Fitbit- not working well at all (yet) with the band...
-The Fitbit seems to start counting steps after 5 step like movements... and the Band after 14... 5 may be too aggressive- but 14 as the threshold on the Band is causing large amount of missed steps. Not sure about you, but I frequently get up and walk less than 14 steps. These all appear to be lost with the Band. Does anyone have a tip regarding this? Is this just my band? Or is there a sensitivity setting I have not found?
- Data granularity... The Band / MS Health appears to only offer data in 1 hour increments vs. Fitbit offering in 5 min increments... This needs to be fixed.
-I like seeing the number of steps associated with a logged activity... so far I am not seeing this with the Band...

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had both of them. I still have the Band, but the Surge has been returned. Couldn't live with the lack of accuracy of the Surge. Phantom step count was ridiculous (yes, I know. All trackers pick up phantom steps from arm movements). Heart rate monitor was very inaccurate when doing any exercise other than walking/running, and not all that accurate then. Also had skin problems from the Surge's band.

I also had a Fitbit and a Band and have got rid of the Fitbit because of similar issues. There is one issue that I have picked up on with the Band and that is sometimes the pedometer count of steps is inaccurate - this seems to be when I get up after sitting for a while and also it appears to happen when you pass midnight and then start walking; it takes a while to start counting steps.

Regards

Infinidim

NinerJet9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too had both. The Surge fit and comfort was a lot better than the band but I preferred all of the metrics (especially sleep) and OS layout of the band. I also found the notifications (email, text and BBM messenger) in the band to be superior to the simple text and call notifications that the Surge offered. One thing I did like w the Fitbit was the ability to share and challenge friends and the ability to monitor calorie intake vs exercise for the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariaabsom