What "MUST HAVE" functionality do you get with iPhone that's not available on W10m?

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't see anything other than poorly designed apps. One apparently must have Itunes installed and non standard apple only use connectors.

Not even sure you can get on the internet without an Apple Talk card.

Oh, no back button.

Sent from mTalk

Jaredallister

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't see anything other than poorly designed apps. One apparently must have Itunes installed and non standard apple only use connectors.

Not even sure you can get on the internet without an Apple Talk card.

Oh, no back button.

Sent from mTalk

iTunes hasnt been needed to manage an iPhone or iPad in years, Apple cut the cord with iTunes back with iOS 5wwdc_keynote40.jpg
And yes, I can assure you you can use the internet without an Apple Talk Card. Lightning is so popular, the fact that it is a propiorty connector never really comes up, and since the iPhone is so popplar, most accesories come with a lightning connector anyway.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone and a Lumia 950 the iPhone is really just a load of screens full of icons ready to launch, yes it has the nice swipe up for quick settings and music controls, the rather bland widget screen to the far left, all nice and functional, apps are just waiting to sap your battery life and spread your location and details for all those nice adverts and spam... everything about it is staid and consumer driven, everyone has one right... my Lumia on the other hand is like an extension of my daily needs, to do lists, links and stuff I am interested in pinned there feeding me information all the time, I have become so used to using and pinning web versions of things, apps seem so tedious and advert laden these days, I love the dynamic feedback and control you have with the home screen on the Lumia

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Solid reliability and extended software support compared to anything else on the market.

iMessage and FaceTime are also seamless solutions (even across Macs too) that neither Google or Microsoft have quite managed to capture the essence of.

It doesn't do everything, but what it does do, it does well. Siri doesn't crash, etc.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It's mainly the app ecosystem that they've built out. I'll admit (I'm not a daily driver of iOS but have attempted to be) that the apps do seem to run better on my apple devices than they do on comparable android. There's also a fairly "known experience" with apple which they've done well to build over the years. It's like going to certain chain restaurants...you just know what you're going to get with Apple for the most part and the experience is usually decent.

However, if you're not engrossed in apps and whatnot, then other devices work just as well. It really depends on what you need. There's no special sauce, we're all different with different tastes.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Solid reliability and extended software support compared to anything else on the market.

iMessage and FaceTime are also seamless solutions (even across Macs too) that neither Google or Microsoft have quite managed to capture the essence of.

It doesn't do everything, but what it does do, it does well. Siri doesn't crash, etc.

The support part is very true, they may be the best in the business. Though I can't say anything bad about MS support, because I've never needed them.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What "MUST HAVE" functionality do you get with iPhone that's not available on W10m?

The support part is very true, they may be the best in the business. Though I can't say anything bad about MS support, because I've never needed them.

I actually meant how long they support their phones with software/security/feature updates.

The only ways to rival that on Windows Phone is by registry modding and hoping an update doesn't break anything.

On Android? Custom ROMs.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: What "MUST HAVE" functionality do you get with iPhone that's not available on W10m?

I actually meant how long they support their phones with software/security/feature updates.

The only ways to rival that on Windows Phone is by registry modding and hoping an update doesn't break anything.

On Android? Custom ROMs.

Ahh, gotcha. Agree with that too, though I don't generally keep my phones more than a couple years.

Francisco_dAn

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like it's basically social media and support, but seriously Windows Phone has that too. As for apps, at least productivity wise, iOS hasn't had anything that didn't have a Windows counterpart or at least a similar app since the days of Adobe and Finale just running on Apple systems back in the 80's. Again I'm talking programs OTHER THAN social media. But at the same time, unless you work in marketing, is social media apps really worth the price of the latest iPhone? I see ownership more as being in a clique. Windows Phone users are in their own clique too but in comparison, they sure don't run close to being a part of the Mobile Illuminati of iPhone.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone SE to replace my Lumia 620 (WP8.1). I know, it was an old model, but it was becoming impossible to use. Everything lagged, specially whatsapp.

The iPhone is insanely quick and efficient, and that is the thing I value the most in a communications device :cool: . As someone said before, it may be a bit limited in some aspects, but does what it does right.

I didn't have any problem whatsoever with the apps available on WP 8.1, but I am not a guy that is trying to do everything on the phone. For me it was about managing my exchange account, communications and GPSs navigation... and until some months ago it did it perfectly well. I do my banking on the desktop.

When I had bought the Lumia, many things it did where not available on iOS. During those years iOS didn't sync exchange tasks or have offline GPS navigation. Nowadays, most applications that I used on Windows Phone / Mobile are available on iPhone: HERE, OfficeLens (incorporated also in OneDrive), Office, etc.

What I miss from my poor old Lumia, in order :cry: :
- back button!!!! I keep pressing the left side of the iPhone as an *****. Even worse, the software "back" menus are on the top left corner. In the iPhone SE it is not such a big problem. Once Apple is able to cut the bezels in a bigger model, I will make the jump to a bigger device.
- customizable info in the lock screen (calendar) and glance (saves a lot of battery).
- dedicated camera button
- live tiles (why doesn't apple let the widgets screen appear as default instead of the home screen???). Actually I found few actually useful, but those where precious. Also, resizing the tiles is important, especially in a 4 inch screen.
- easier file management (although nowadays iOS is not as bad as it used to be).

I didn't consider Android because I read too many issues about the sync with Exchange, and I am bit paranoid about Google. I know that Apple and MS collect a lot of info about you too... but in the case of Google is too straightforward how they force you to link all your information and force you into their services :angry: . I feel that iOS (apart from the AppStore), is more neutral in that regard, and plays nicer with MS services (apart from the integration with Cortana and the notifications sync with Win10).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb