What to expect from Xbox in 2024: A preview of exclusive games, platform expansion, and increased momentum

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
FWIW, A couple thoughts:

1- MS keeping its game announcements quiet is good. With a steady stream of output now flowing preannouncing games risks Osbourning current and near term releases. Early teases like BLADE and CLOCKWORK REVOLUTION are fine but after that, go dark. Maybe do more shadow drops to save on PR. Like "we know something is coming in march but what?" Ratchet up the excitement.

2- Getting the ABK back catalog into Game Pass the sooner the beter. Like, now.

3- When MS bought ZENIMAX they bought PC streaming tech they were working and reportedly was almost done. Unless there are patent jssue, they need to rationalize the Game Pass catalog by streaming at least the old games to console. Stuff like Elder Scrolls 1&2, Fallout 1&2, and the early Activision classics. None of which will undercut the console as a platform but do wonders for game preservation.

4- OG XBOX emulators exist. Add one to the SX. For those of us with games from that era. Let us bring our own disks.

5- On our side, we need to be prepared for MS, if they do jump past TENCENT in revenues to window their big multiplatform legacy franchises. Say for a month or two, much like the video streamers do with testrical releases. Exclusives, day and date, multiplat...a bit later.

Don't want to give the ideologues antitrust fuel.

Oh, and...

6... Keep the smaller games flowing. More PENTIMENTS and HIFI RUSH-class games.

Reactions: Fragslayer

Fragslayer

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Well the person above touched on many points thus saving me some typing so thanks.

They should forget the refreshes in all honesty. They don't justify much except for S user's who would appreciate a upgrade, minor as it is.

If PlayStation is in fact making a Pro variant of the PS5 I don't think MS should pass up the opportunity to do the same. Especially on a launch as big as GTA6 even if I personally don't care about the game it makes sense. It's the S stopping you, oh well, I have a S too and I wouldn't cry if the X got a pro variant. To clarify this is a hunch but I feel it's more about the S than anything else.

Elite 3..... If it does not have Hall Effect Sensors don't bother making it. I'm sick of the things developing drift. The modular thing I saw is not what I or anyone wants either. Yeah let's replace the thumbsticks every couple months and pass the expense to our highest paying consumers. Instead of just putting the dang proper stick in the first place.

Emulation! As much as you can give us. I know it was said but I wanna drill that in. That is what has set Xbox apart.

Give us OLD achievements back it was awesome actually getting things for our efforts. Every since the change I don't even bother now. Some artificial number don't excite me. People buy/ games strictly to abuse the achievements number. Boooooring.

Give us access to OUR cloud storage back or remove it. This gen has been a nightmare never seen before on Xbox. If I have to clear my local game saves one more time or return a XBSX for a corrupted internal drive I'll throw it out a window. I mean Cyberpunk, Baldur's Gate 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are just some examples. Calling you guys about it is amusing, nobody seems to know or want to say what the problem is. I've checked around, it's a widespread issue to big to ignore.

Hmm.. yeah that's about all I can add that hasn't been said already.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
Well the person above touched on many points thus saving me some typing so thanks.

They should forget the refreshes in all honesty. They don't justify much except for S user's who would appreciate a upgrade, minor as it is.

If PlayStation is in fact making a Pro variant of the PS5 I don't think MS should pass up the opportunity to do the same. Especially on a launch as big as GTA6 even if I personally don't care about the game it makes sense. It's the S stopping you, oh well, I have a S too and I wouldn't cry if the X got a pro variant. To clarify this is a hunch but I feel it's more about the S than anything else.

Elite 3..... If it does not have Hall Effect Sensors don't bother making it. I'm sick of the things developing drift. The modular thing I saw is not what I or anyone wants either. Yeah let's replace the thumbsticks every couple months and pass the expense to our highest paying consumers. Instead of just putting the dang proper stick in the first place.

Emulation! As much as you can give us. I know it was said but I wanna drill that in. That is what has set Xbox apart.

Give us OLD achievements back it was awesome actually getting things for our efforts. Every since the change I don't even bother now. Some artificial number don't excite me. People buy/ games strictly to abuse the achievements number. Boooooring.

Give us access to OUR cloud storage back or remove it. This gen has been a nightmare never seen before on Xbox. If I have to clear my local game saves one more time or return a XBSX for a corrupted internal drive I'll throw it out a window. I mean Cyberpunk, Baldur's Gate 3, Skyrim and Fallout 4 are just some examples. Calling you guys about it is amusing, nobody seems to know or want to say what the problem is. I've checked around, it's a widespread issue to big to ignore.

Hmm.. yeah that's about all I can add that hasn't been said already.
PS5 has more need of a Pro since they didn't wait for AMD to finalize the festure set of RDNA2 features. They got away with it because third party games are "scaled" to what PS5 can do.

That said, I chuckle when I see the wishlist specs the fans float about.

Unless it's going to sell for $1000 or Sony is going to eat $400 per box like they did during the PS3 launch or both, those specs are not doable at the volumes Sony would need for a Pro to matter in the market for 2025.

Consider that Sony this year raised the prices on the current 9.2TF SKUs and that the entire PS5 SOC is barely 10 Billion transistors. A 28TF PS5 Pro as rumored would require 30Billion transistors for the RDNA3 GPU alone. Even the weakest RDNA 3 gpu eats 13B transistors itself. Add in more storage, more expensive memory, a bigger SSD, faster clocks, and what is the thing going to cost this summer to ship this fall. I don't see it hitting even $600.
I could see them grow their gpu by 50% to hit 13.5TF for bragging rights over the SX and its 12.15 TF. but that would again push prices to over $600 at a time SX might be selling (again) for $400-$300-$200.

Now there *is* a way to make that 13TF GPU look like a 28TF GPU: quote the FP16 (half) performance instead of the more common FP32 (float) but by that measure the SX is already at 24TF. And it would not need to grow by 50% to still best the PS5.

As you say, XBOX should simply let them go out on a limb and ride out the cheaper slot for a year and retake the performance lead in '26. Or 28.

To be honest and considering not game has used all the capabilities of the current boxes, the "next XBOX in 2026 rumor" and $400 SX sale price may be a warning to scare Sony into *not* doing a Pro. Because bragging rights aside, a half measure like a disguised 13TF Playstation is not going to change anything: Sony will still sell more boxes but make less money than XBOX.

Even true next gen hardware isn't going to matter: gaming is moving past pixel count pimping to consumer value. Sony may be zig-ing at a time the market is zag-ing, just as they did in the ebook reader market they pioneer and lost for not reading consumer interests correctly. (They pushed "Premium quality" when the market wanted cheaper readers and pivoted to cheaper readers when the market was ready to upgrade to more capably readers.)

Given their trajectory, I expect MS to ride Game Pass to higher consumer involvement and way larger profits.

Consider the INSOMNIAC leak and look at the numbers between SpiderMan 2 ($6M sales) and 13M players for STARFIELD. Not comparable in upfront dollars but vastly more important in consumer engagement, and life cycle revenue which will come in way longer that the single playthrough games Sony relies on.

Ignore Sony and their FUD, which can only hurt them. Who is going to buy $569 PS5's when a PS5 pro is (allegedly) months away?
Pay attention to XBOX's "minor" moves; they are playi g a long game.

Last edited:

NoLifeDGenerate

May 7, 2023
www.mentallyirregular.com
1. They need to fold the other account systems into MS accounts now. It's bullshit Bethesda accounts still exist. Now they own Activision too. Get rid of the extra accounts. I only account I should ever need to play a game is the one I bought it with. The publishers are turning console gaming into the same shitshow they did PC with the launchers, and nobody is speaking out about it.

2. They need to throw some money at Japanese devs to get ports of games like the EDF series back on Xbox like they used to be.

3. Piss on mid-gen refreshes. Just step it up. Release whatever is more powerful than Series X, and drop Series S to XCloud support only so it doesn't hold back devs anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria