What was Nokia's (and Microsoft's) STRATEGY behind yesterday's announcement?

WP Fan in Cleveland

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Good point on the MS end.
As for Nokia. the event was an epic failure. From an investors point of view no pricing no available date killed the stock as did only two devices when Nokia has been saying all along the focus is on WP8 Investors truly though they would see and hear so much more the weeks before this Nokia stock rose up in a reflection that the closer we got to the fall and the big event or none event after seeing what they had the markets reflected that disappointment greatly. Nokia can not I repeat can not afford to play games. the stock is tanking big time right now overseas and in the US.after $1.50 per share it becomes penny stock value. Nokia had a chance this week the presentation was boring other than the 920
with it only going to one US carrier and the cheaper device going everywhere else it baffled the markets. they wanted to see is what Samsung does putting there flagship on all carriers.
Um, it's not up to Nokia to announce carriers- I'm sure ATT would demand that to get the most PR value for their end.

I don't know why people forget this- Nokia does NOT sell phones to consumers. They sell phones to the carriers. The CARRIERS sell them to people. If ATT didn't want to announce, then there was not going to be an announcement. That is not decided by Nokia. It would be like Sony announcing a TV and, without Best Buy's say so, announcing how much Best Buy will sell it for.

Would it be nice if ATT was ready and there and there had been a joint announcement? Yes, but then again, if the software really isn't RTM, if you were ATT would you want to sign the final contracts and quote prices and dates?

At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. Apple makes a splash with their pre-order and opening day, but what makes a product successful is long term growth and sales. Lets say they had been ready to sell or pre-order yesterday. Yes, I and a lot of people here would have pre-ordered. Do you really think that's a significant number at all?

What will make the 920 a hit is if a sustained branding and marketing campaign around having the superior camera gives hard core techies and the casual buyer in a phone store the identity that ties nokia to having the best camera. And that gives the reps in the store a nice, quick hook to sell the phone with.

All this other gnashing of teeth is really just another first world problem.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
...As for Nokia. the event was an epic failure. From an investors point of view...

Investors are, to be blunt, emotional idiots. Most of them are annoyed for the lack of plans, to a point, but more because they are still unconvinced of Nokia's adoption of Windows Phone, which goes back to my point of this being more Microsoft's fault for not giving up more information.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The problem here is they did what any marketing component would do... they give a pristine example for effect, but it doesn't change the fact that the 920 does exactly what it claims with great results. I believe we'll see a lot of apologies soon when people start using it first-hand.

You know what Nokia did right? They said, "yeah, we should have mentioned this one was done differently" but you know what Apple's response would have been? "No, you're looking at the photo wrong."

BTW, anyone on here is welcome to call me a Nokia ******. After my experience at the event yesterday... you bet I am! But I'm not here to bash other Windows Phones... I support the platform as a whole, and choose freely to favor the phone I'm spending MY money on.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting thread! Personally, I'll happily admit to knowing next to nothing about marketing, but is there any weight behind the notion that MS (aside from not wanting to spook their other OEM's) kept availability and pricing info quiet to see what Apple does? To try to position themselves more attractively post iPhone 5 announcement. could it be that simple?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Based on the folks from Nokia and Microsoft I got to talk with Wednesday, I have to believe yes, it's very likely they're holding back.

Could that have just been PR to maintain interest? Possibly. But I'm choosing to be optimistic about it.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Based on the folks from Nokia and Microsoft I got to talk with Wednesday, I have to believe yes, it's very likely they're holding back.

Could that have just been PR to maintain interest? Possibly. But I'm choosing to be optimistic about it.
curiously, (alleged) carrier availability for the US and Europe has popped up right this minute... Exclusive: Nokia aiming to launch the Lumia 920 on November 2nd for AT&T | The Verge

stop the internet, i want to get off lol

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day, I don't think it really matters. Apple makes a splash with their pre-order and opening day, but what makes a product successful is long term growth and sales. Lets say they had been ready to sell or pre-order yesterday. Yes, I and a lot of people here would have pre-ordered. Do you really think that's a significant number at all?

What will make the 920 a hit is if a sustained branding and marketing campaign around having the superior camera gives hard core techies and the casual buyer in a phone store the identity that ties nokia to having the best camera. And that gives the reps in the store a nice, quick hook to sell the phone with.

All this other gnashing of teeth is really just another first world problem.

And 99% of those will still buy it when it's released! :p

The best camera will be a huge selling point and easy demo for the sales rep. Those people walking into the stores in November will have no idea of about people questioning the validity of a commercial 2 months earlier.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft always promise Jam tomorrow, it's also the thing around the corner that is going to be amazing. Maybe you are right and there is some amazing feature or something around the corner, we will see.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry charlie. If you think the iPhone 5 is going to flop, then you're not being realistic. You're just being a fan. The iPhone 5 is going to sell more units in a weekend than what WP7 has sold since it's release.

Everyone hear likes WP7, but some comments are just comical.
So here's my take on why there's so much lacking...

I think Microsoft is holding back on something big. I think they have something unexpected that we haven't heard about from leaks, and they're waiting until after Apple makes their big flop reveal in order to share tidbits in order to steal some thunder.

It's a risky strategy for Microsoft, but I think whether it's lots of little things or a few big things or any combination, if they keep showing that partners are lining up, then that helps them out in the long game.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The best camera will be a huge selling point and easy demo for the sales rep.

Paradoxically it's not - because the retail environment is designed to be bright and well-light, so the technical superiourity of the camera in terms of low-light is not going to be evident.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry charlie. If you think the iPhone 5 is going to flop, then you're not being realistic. You're just being a fan. The iPhone 5 is going to sell more units in a weekend than what WP7 has sold since it's release.

Everyone hear likes WP7, but some comments are just comical.

hahaha..it's funny how 2 people can read a post and get 2 different meanings. I took his flop comment as a sarcastic joke. You took it literally as him thinking Apple was going to flop.

Paradoxically it's not - because the retail environment is designed to be bright and well-light, so the technical superiourity of the camera in terms of low-light is not going to be evident.

This is true, but a simple demo booth with low light will take care of that problem. ;)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but I don't see any strategy in coming on stage, announcing 2 phones (which were already leaked), no date, no pricing or carriers.

If u call this strategy, I don't knkw what will you call iPhone's presentations.

It was a dud, hush-hush event.
Nokia staff member 1: "We have booked the auditorium. We have sent out invites. Heck we've even confirmed the caterer. So let's just launch a couple of devices."

Nokia staff member 2: "Yeah you are right. It will be a debacle and people will be very upset. BTW, what's the caterer cooking for dinner?"

Lol!

MS and the failed events are almost inseparable now.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Speak for yourself - it wasn't a failed event, it managed to make me decide to switch my SG3 and go for the 920 - I was impressed and can see a whole host of possibilities that just aren't available for android right now

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Speak for yourself - it wasn't a failed event, it managed to make me decide to switch my SG3 and go for the 920 - I was impressed and can see a whole host of possibilities that just aren't available for android right now

I AM speaking for myself. If the love for Nokia is blinding you, that's your problem mate. See the third word in the first line? "Sorry but "I" don't ..."

I? Myself? Not you...? Get it? Good.
Sent from my DROID RaZr.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft always promise Jam tomorrow, it's also the thing around the corner that is going to be amazing. Maybe you are right and there is some amazing feature or something around the corner, we will see.

In this case, I believe it to be consumer features relating to the People/Camera/Music/Video hubs that they're holding back on (opinion, nothing to back it up with).

"Why so serious?!" I wasn't being literal in the product being a flop, just that the reality of what they're announcing is so trivial, so minor... as in, "oh look, it's a taller screen for HD... that we've been asking for 5 years to get since everyone else already has them" and, "oh goody... Siri has a few new useless features that will only half work, and still doesn't work with third-party apps." I realize that they use smoke and mirrors and it works well for them, because people are lemmings.

Your point is noted and I agree, but it's not just the dark photos that are improved... you can still demo the image stabilization features and lenses. And if the sales reps are familiar, they can show off comparison shots or at least discuss it.

Sorry but I don't see any strategy in coming on stage, announcing 2 phones (which were already leaked), no date, no pricing or carriers.

If u call this strategy, I don't knkw what will you call iPhone's presentations.

It was a dud, hush-hush event.

That so-called hush-hush event has news sites buzzing about it... either criticizing the video demo or praising the camera and design. Aside from a few generally Apple-biased sources, and the "fake demo" comments, I haven't actually seen much negativity from the press. Also, FYI, there were quite a lot of people there from the press... I even saw a French girl from Cosmopolitan there for the news event. Just saying.

And I get that you or anyone else may not like the design, but that's why there are options. That's why Microsoft and Google have traditionally done so well. They saturate the market with choices in their fields. Apple gives you the Ford Model T experience... you can have it in any style and color you want... as long as it's black (and sometimes white).

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Your point is noted and I agree, but it's not just the dark photos that are improved... you can still demo the image stabilization features and lenses. And if the sales reps are familiar, they can show off comparison shots or at least discuss it.

Well that is getting onto the important stuff - carrier and retail incentives - Nokia spend a lot of money last time on both plus lots of marketing and special booths and the like but the impact was limited, so I'm unsure what will be different this time - maybe the hidden secret sauce of W8.*

* I should point out that I think the 920 will be my next phone but I don't confuse my personal preference with market trends.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium