What would make a good replacement for HTC Trophy?

Philip Colmer

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife has an HTC Trophy ... while I've gone through several different models of phone! She doesn't like changing anything unless she sees the reason for it, and she does understand that sticking on Windows Phone 7 is not a good long term strategy :).

She has looked at the Lumia 530 (reasonable size but doesn't like the display) and is considering trying my Lumia 925 but I'm concerned that it is just a little bit too big for her. She does has fairly small hands.

The Trophy is 118.5x61.5, the 530 is 119.7x62.3 and the 925 is 129x70.6, so that gives an idea of the size range she would prefer.

Any recommendations? It is really hard to get a feel for the usability of devices since stores normally carry dummy devices so you can easily see what the screen quality is like.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts would be to stay away from first gen phones and look at the x30 phones.

I'd personally look at the 730/5 or 830 if she's not after a full flagship device.

Lumia 730 - Everything you need to know!

Hands-on time with the affordable flagship Lumia 830 and its enhanced PureView tech | Windows Phone Central
There is nothing wrong with the first Gen phones. They still run the os well and likely will have windows 10.
My mother uses a 1020, and has no issues with the size of the phone. She couldn't use something like my 1520 however.

ID recommend the Lumia 928, icon/930 or 1020.

She wwill be happy with Lumia or possibly the newer midrange devices :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with the first Gen phones. They still run the os well and likely will have windows 10.
My mother uses a 1020, and has no issues with the size of the phone. She couldn't use something like my 1520 however.

ID recommend the Lumia 928, icon/930 or 1020.

She wwill be happy with Lumia or possibly the newer midrange devices :)

The first gen phones will not receive all the functions of the new OS, aside from maybe the 1520. That's why I didn't recommend them.

As for the Icon (no way). The L930 is a possibility but there's always that chance with that phone of having issues and the battery life is not that great.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

She will be happy with Lumia or possibly the newer midrange devices :)

First Gen phones (like the Trophy on WP7) will not get Windows 10.

I suggest a Lumia 822 to try out. It will be a bit wider. Or the Lumia 928 which will be narrower than the 822, but still bigger than the Trophy.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
First Gen phones (like the Trophy on WP7) will not get Windows 10.

I suggest a Lumia 822 to try out. It will be a bit wider. Or the Lumia 928 which will be narrower than the 822, but still bigger than the Trophy.

When we said first gen phones, I thought we were talking about first gen windows Phone 8 devices...I'd never recommend a Windows phone 7 device in 2014 lol.

I forgot about the Lumia 822, that is a good recommendation. Though if he fears the Lumia 925 is too big for her, then the 928 is the same possible issue since they are basically the same phone with design changes.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my Trophy with a 822. It has been excellent with 8.1.1 Dev preview. I've seen 822 for $100 or less on eBay. The closest to size of the trophy is probably the 635, but you would have to switch carriers. The 822 is a little wider than the Trophy, the 635 is narrower.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The first gen phones will not receive all the functions of the new OS, aside from maybe the 1520. That's why I didn't recommend them.

As for the Icon (no way). The L930 is a possibility but there's always that chance with that phone of having issues and the battery life is not that great.

There is nothing wrong with the lumia icon....and from the looks of it, there are a few complaints here and there with the 930 but from what I see on the forums(I don't frequent their forums much), the 930 owners are extremely happy with their devices and many people are hoping that the icon will be coming to OTHER carriers.

So there is nothing wrong with either device at all and is a good device to recommend.

If his wife needs the top of the line features, then no don't get a 1st gen. But this is a woman who apparently is happy being on Windows Phone 7 lol...so I seriously doubt she cares that much if she doesn't get this feature or that feature :p

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
What carrier?

I had the Trophy as well (still have it kicking around for music and emergencies, got it SIM unlocked as well). Nice phone actually, no FFC, and rear cam was mediocre at best, but otherwise nice.

The 928 and Icon/929/930 ( :p ) are both appreciably larger and heavier. The 930 is at my limit for one handed practicality, the 928 was better. The 925 being lighter yet might be a good solution.

The 735 could be a more modern one for her though. Only real omissions are Glance screen (but I think if it has double tap to wake, that can offset that to some extent), and no camera button.

Otherwise it checks everything off, quad core (slower version, but still), 1 GB of RAM, microSD, BT4, NFC, Qi, replaceable battery, decent main shooter and better than normal FFC.

Heck, it has a bigger battery than the 920/925/928 to boot. Also, at that price range you get a real Nokia CBD for better outdoor viewing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro